• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2009 7:57 pm
Tags:
Nov 12, 2007
5 posts
Ottawa
dealtacular wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 7:57 am
This is not accurate, if you were told this at the bank, they don't know what they are talking about. I worked at a bank and am familiar with the procedures.

You could have shopped at the place 2 weeks or 2 months ago and it could be canceled now, it is rare that your card would be canceled right after the transaction. Most of the time, if your card has is canceled by the bank, no one has tried to make any transactions with your own card. Your case does not represent most situations involving compromised cards.
Well I beg to differ (not wanting to start anything here) but I have confirmed what happened with my card with an accounts manager at RBC. Obviously I want to get more answers and confirm my suspicions, he agreed that my account was trying to be access by someone and by someplace that I "very recently" visited.

I don't know what bank you worked for in the past but could it be quite possible that things have progressed in this area since you've left?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
62 upvotes
4wood wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 12:48 pm
Well I beg to differ (not wanting to start anything here) but I have confirmed what happened with my card with an accounts manager at RBC. Obviously I want to get more answers and confirm my suspicions, he agreed that my account was trying to be access by someone and by someplace that I "very recently" visited.

I don't know what bank you worked for in the past but could it be quite possible that things have progressed in this area since you've left?
I also have to agree with dealtacular. I work at TD and know that people who have their debit cards compromised usually fell victim to a merchant a few weeks or months back. They can't stop every card right away just because they shopped at a particular store. However it is possible the account will be monitored more closely after shopping at a shady retailer, but there's no way a transaction at a store instantly triggers the card to be stopped. In most cases the card is cloned by a worker, passed onto the groups, left dormant for a few weeks and a rash of transactions or a large withdrawal occurs.

Security monitoring watches for peculiar patterns (maybe a withdrawal in a different city) and may cancel cards based on suspicious patterns.

Also when there's a police investigation done and some people are busted, they basically get a list of the customers and stop all of their cards.
Jun 29, 2005
716 posts
8 upvotes
I believe my buddy had his card compromised as well. He believes it's the Esso station on March Rd, right across the street from RIM. That's pretty much the only place he uses it.
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest"
Dec 31, 1969
tng11 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 9:14 pm
I also have to agree with dealtacular. I work at TD and know that people who have their debit cards compromised usually fell victim to a merchant a few weeks or months back. They can't stop every card right away just because they shopped at a particular store. However it is possible the account will be monitored more closely after shopping at a shady retailer, but there's no way a transaction at a store instantly triggers the card to be stopped. In most cases the card is cloned by a worker, passed onto the groups, left dormant for a few weeks and a rash of transactions or a large withdrawal occurs.

Security monitoring watches for peculiar patterns (maybe a withdrawal in a different city) and may cancel cards based on suspicious patterns.

Also when there's a police investigation done and some people are busted, they basically get a list of the customers and stop all of their cards.
:arrowu: This is what happens.
4wood wrote:
Jan 28th, 2009 12:48 pm

Nothing wrong there. In your earlier post you implied that cards are canceled immediately after visiting a place under investigation, which is not the case. In your case, there was irregular activity on your own card, which would usually lead to a card being canceled immediately. That is independent of an investigation into a merchant. Your account manager was likely speculating about the specifics, because the details are usually not available to regular staff.

The procedures are similar between banks and have not recently changed, as tng11 is saying.
Jun 22, 2008
19 posts
North York, ON
I use my debit card often so it might be tough to find out who the culprit is...the past month is used it for taxis (Beck), Movie (Cineplex Odeon @ Fairview Mall - kiosk), and Holt Renfrew (Bloor Location - Prescriptives Counter). I went to an RBC kiosk to pay some bills and was surprised to find only $900 in my bank account when it should've been more around $1500. I printed out a mini statement and saw a PTB WD made on March 23, 2009. Called RBC and asked them what this was and they informed me that this was a withdrawal...I told them this couldn't be me since i only withdraw $60 at a time and in monthly intervals and i had no reason to take out that much money. They then informed me that the WD happened in Saint Hubert, Montreal Quebec on Saturday (March 21, 2009 @ 10:35pm) and taht there were two other attempts immediately following to withdraw $300 and then $105 which were declined since my daily limit is $500 (Thank god). Told them it couldn't have been me since i was at home (in Toronto) at 7pm and been too sick to go out for most the week...RBC is going to investigate and let me know within 7-10business days. Did anyone else frequent the above mentioned locations???
× < >