• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2010 9:20 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 5, 2008
268 posts
Toronto

Debit Card Fraud

Today some criminal(s) fraudulently used my debit card information to withdraw almost $1000 from my bank.

The bank says that they have freezed my card and sent me a new one. They told me they would try to get my money back for me and that a fraud investigator would be in touch with me. They also told me that they can't be held liable if someone saw me type my pin number into a machine. At the same time they wouldn't tell me where the data theft occurred or where the bank machine was where they actually stole the money.

I always protect my pin as best as I can so I don't see how they could use that argument.

Has anyone else been through this? What can I expect?
Share:
50 replies
Banned
Apr 19, 2010
159 posts
2 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Thats why I keep $0 in my checking accounts.
Money always goes into a savings account that the card has 0 access to.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5305 posts
272 upvotes
Does the above poster notice, when u do interac purchase, u can choose between Chq or Sav.

Plus once they have ur debit info + pin, they can do your banking at any atm.
Jul 22, 2003
939 posts
82 upvotes
peterpatch wrote:
May 16th, 2010 10:54 pm
Today some criminal(s) fraudulently used my debit card information to withdraw almost $1000 from my bank.

The bank says that they have freezed my card and sent me a new one. They told me they would try to get my money back for me and that a fraud investigator would be in touch with me. They also told me that they can't be held liable if someone saw me type my pin number into a machine. At the same time they wouldn't tell me where the data theft occurred or where the bank machine was where they actually stole the money.

I always protect my pin as best as I can so I don't see how they could use that argument.

Are you in Edmonton by any chance?
a bunch of people downtown had their cards compromised.
But the bank is feeding you bs I think.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2008
268 posts
Toronto
dealtaker wrote:
May 16th, 2010 11:27 pm
Are you in Edmonton by any chance?
a bunch of people downtown had their cards compromised.
But the bank is feeding you bs I think.
Toronto actually.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4773 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Which bank?
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
1471 posts
39 upvotes
Markham
Pirate18 wrote:
May 16th, 2010 11:01 pm
Thats why I keep $0 in my checking accounts.
Money always goes into a savings account that the card has 0 access to.
+1

I keep very little money in my cheqing and most goes into my savings. I use my credit card for every purchase and whereever it is accepted. If some kind of fraud were to happen on my credit card, the bank would follow up and credit your account more faster than a debit fraud since the credit card is the bank's money. This is what was told by most of my friends and relatives have told me which makes sense.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
1259 posts
29 upvotes
whampoa wrote:
May 16th, 2010 11:35 pm
Which bank?
Ya, which bank? The rest of us want to know which one to avoid for such lousy customer service.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
Don't you have a $500 limit per day?
Dec 24, 2008
168 posts
2 upvotes
happened to my father. I think they withdrew 6000$. He got it back after an investigation. You have to be very prompt about it though....

Good luck OP. Hope you get your money back.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7130 posts
310 upvotes
That's the worst b.s I've ever heard regarding banking and very scary.

Can you please say which bank, I'll proceed with closing my account tomorrow if I'm in that bank.
Apr 19, 2004
662 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
peterpatch wrote:
May 16th, 2010 10:54 pm

:-0

Does anybody work for a bank, is that line true?! Seems a little unfair.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2005
1034 posts
32 upvotes
Brampton
happened to me a couple of days ago as well, probably at a gas station. I did get the money back after a couple of days from the investigation. Stupid yes. Funny thing is I rarely use my debit and the one time I decide to use it... it gets compromised. :rolleyes:
Strictly use credit card/cash now.
Dec 24, 2009
188 posts
1 upvote
My card get compromised like once a year, and only once there has been money taken out. I got all of it back the very next day.

It happens with all banks, so i wouldn't bother closing an account because this happens.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
cih wrote:
May 17th, 2010 6:33 am
My card get compromised like once a year, and only once there has been money taken out. I got all of it back the very next day.

It happens with all banks, so i wouldn't bother closing an account because this happens.
What? You mean the OP misheard/misunderstood what the bank told them, everyone else jumped on the bandwagon and made an issue out of nothing. I'm shocked, something like that would never happen on here!
× < >