• Dec 14th, 2013 12:39 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
383 posts
3 upvotes

Debt Collector calling my number, but name is completely different

I've had a particular phone number for close to two years now, and have not received any types of these calls before. More than a month ago, I pulled my credit report/credit score (which is in the 800 range and NO delinquent accounts whatsoever) as I was going in for a mortgage approval.

Providing the necessary information to the bank, I gave my cell number as opposed to a home phone number, since it would be the easiest way to get a hold of me.

Just yesterday, I received a call on my cell from a debt collector, and the name they were looking for was nowhere near close to my own. The thing is, I have only given out this particular phone number to the bank, which leads me to point blame directly to the bank.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? What can you do to correct this? Why would my number even be associated with an incorrect name/debt owing to organizations never dealt with? The voicemail message regarding the debt collection had a number to call, but I've heard from other stories that even if you are not the right person and you call back, you are immediately associated with being the one they are looking for.
10 replies
Banned
Dec 11, 2013
97 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg
The cell number you've been given is a recycled number belonging to the person they're looking for. That's the most likely scenario. Cell companies recycle the numbers all the time. Sometimes right away, sometimes not. The collector probably had this number in their records, and it was flagged as being dead when the previous owner of the number had it disconnected .
Now you have the number, the collector tries the number, and now it works. They'll keep calling you until they confirm that you are indeed NOT the person they are looking for. Not answering the phone will not make them go away.
Your best bet is to call them and tell them they have the wrong number, and you'd appreciate them to remove your number from their auto caller. If the person you speak with gives you a hard time, demand to speak to a supervisor/manager and explain the same thing, stating that you will pursue legal avenues if they don't comply. They will, just don't be nasty about it, but at the same time be firm with them.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
383 posts
3 upvotes
That's understandable then with the idea of a recycled number. I'm sure they will call again, and I will be sure to answer it instead of leaving it to voicemail. Thanks.
Banned
Dec 11, 2013
97 posts
17 upvotes
Winnipeg
It's also worth mentioning that the collection agents aren't able to physically remove your number themselves. If you get a co-operative rep, he/she can flag the number as a wrong number in the system, however only a collections manager can remove the number from the auto dialer. So if you speak to a front line rep, and they do flag it as a wrong number, you may still receive calls until the number is removed from the dialer by a manager.
Or you can skip this step and speak directly to a collection manager and have the number immediately removed. Either way you go about it, be nice. They're just doing their job, as slimy as it may seem.
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
76 upvotes
i had a recycled number the previous guy owed $100 000 . the dept department non stop calling our home number "stop hiding from US, you know sooner or later you need to pay us back"

me: wahahhaha pay what back
debt department: the money you owed us
me: i owed you nothing
debt department: yes you do
me: you got the wrong person and wrong number
debt department: i just spoke with you two weeks ago
me: impossible , been using this number for a 1 year now
debt:i will double check and confirm with you again
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2644 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary
It's not coincidence about the timing, big brother is watching.. Like the health card issue with the USA. I guess your info was sold. Or someone hacked the system.

put that phone num in reject list, nobody else will be able to fix it. They say it will get removed, and then another person call u with the same story.
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Jul 20, 2013
196 posts
20 upvotes
Everytime there's a thread about auto-dialed collection calls, I just gotta share my own experience.

What happened was I've gotten an US DID for a conference bridge I was setting up for my employer. Soon after setting it up, I noticed there were calls originating from a collection agency asking the previous assignee of the phone number to "pay the f*** up". They would call into that particular DID when there's actually people talking on the conference bridge, and everytime the participants would tell the collector that they're calling a conference bridge, not the person who they want to talk to.

I did some googling and found their toll free number. This is where I got my revenge. I set my CLID number to a Canadian phone number that's located in a remote reigon and I started to use up all of the channels that's available in my TDM circuit (I think I had about 60-70 channels lying around?) and auto-dialed their number with the recorded message basically telling them "Stop calling us". An hour later they called that number back and begged me to stop mass dialing them at 60-70 calls/second because the toll charges they were paying was about $2 per minute.

That's gotten them to stop calling us pretty darn quick... ;)
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3201 upvotes
Calgary
Find the company's name and address. Send them a registered letter which requires them to phone you as ratification of a contract to pay $1000/incident your time. Record the phone call from them. Sue them and profit$$$$.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3201 upvotes
Calgary
PwnyExpress wrote:
Dec 13th, 2013 7:03 pm
Everytime there's a thread about auto-dialed collection calls, I just gotta share my own experience.
:lol: , ain't being a geek wonderful? :lol:
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15188 posts
1875 upvotes
Oshawa
PwnyExpress wrote:
Dec 13th, 2013 7:03 pm
I did some googling and found their toll free number. This is where I got my revenge. I set my CLID number to a Canadian phone number that's located in a remote reigon and I started to use up all of the channels that's available in my TDM circuit (I think I had about 60-70 channels lying around?) and auto-dialed their number with the recorded message basically telling them "Stop calling us". An hour later they called that number back and begged me to stop mass dialing them at 60-70 calls/second because the toll charges they were paying was about $2 per minute.
[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WM05sgEV96c/T ... w_Clap.gif[/IMG]
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1554 posts
368 upvotes
I had this happen. Originally set my VOIP to auto dial back to their own 888 number but they had multiple versions of their number and 888 is recognized as different from 1888 in my phone. And it was literally 6 months of calling, I'm never home to check my landline and never had caller ID until recently.

Even though I told them multiple times no one by that names lives here, and reported them for a bunch of offenses including calling after 8pm, they really only got the point the 4th time when I specifically called them back to belittle the little collection rep at the other end.

The conversation went like this:

Me: "No one by that name lives here"
Collection Rep: "Maybe it could be your wife?"
Me: "Maybe it could be your mom, now take my god damn number off"

Long story short: They've since stopped calling.