• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2017 9:57 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4948 posts
563 upvotes
Winnipeg

Dec 1 Apple OTA iPhone unlock question

I have an older iPhone that was with Rogers. Will it unlock without a SIM card in it? Like perhaps over wifi?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I've heard about this OTA iPhone unlock but I'm not sure it's 100% a go

Thanks for reminding me though. I've messaged my contact at rogers asking them to unlock every device on my account on Dec 1.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
This doesn't help in your situation but my contact at Rogers just told me that all phones sold after Sept 1st were shipped unlocked.

So for those of us that recently upgraded, those phones will already be unlocked.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
Accat38lat5 wrote: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple ... nes-dec-1/

If you read down the article there is an update dated Nov 3!
interesting Nov.03 update - so looks like OTA unlocking is now out of the picture - so I guess folks will need to call in? What happens if you are no longer a customer of the original carrier the iphone is locked to?
Nov 14, 2013
72 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
ji2o0k wrote: interesting Nov.03 update - so looks like OTA unlocking is now out of the picture - so I guess folks will need to call in? What happens if you are no longer a customer of the original carrier the iphone is locked to?
Anybodies guess!

Deadline extension

There is no guarantee that Dec 1 will be the deadline either as told by this article!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Accat38lat5 wrote: Anybodies guess!

Deadline extension

There is no guarantee that Dec 1 will be the deadline either as told by this article!
This extension will give more time to update wireless providers billing systems.

"Goldberg also noted that the carriers are on track to meet all the other Wireless Code revisions, such as selling new phones in an unlocked condition, by the Dec. 1 deadline."
from https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-stor ... -vigilant/
Apr 30, 2007
314 posts
967 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: This doesn't help in your situation but my contact at Rogers just told me that all phones sold after Sept 1st were shipped unlocked.

So for those of us that recently upgraded, those phones will already be unlocked.
I brought a phone from fido about 1 week ago, it is locked!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
chicot wrote: I brought a phone from fido about 1 week ago, it is locked!
Yeah I'm trying to get confirmation on this. My contact might have been incorrect.
Dec 11, 2007
194 posts
33 upvotes
London
I just called Bell to get my iPhone unlocked - because I am a current customer they would not, since they said that I need an account number. I was not impressed.
Be sure to follow @LuchaComics on twitter - I follow back :-)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4948 posts
563 upvotes
Winnipeg
rodolfo wrote: I just called Bell to get my iPhone unlocked - because I am a current customer they would not, since they said that I need an account number. I was not impressed.
I don't understand...you're a current customer but you don't have an account number?
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
cipher wrote: I don't understand...you're a current customer but you don't have an account number?
Must be a typo. You must be (or have been in past) a Bell customer for Bell to unlock your device.
RFD Forums Moderator

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)