• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 1:55 pm
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 3:05 am
Except this isn't the first time a judge has blown it in a rape case.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada- ... -1.3311574

He acquitted this one and just told her to keep her knees together.

Or how about this one:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4012225

Judge says drunk woman can consent.

Seems to me the bigger issue is Canadian judges have serious problems understanding the concept of consent.
I agree Judge paid the price for his stupidity.
Conquistador wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 9:19 am
And in at least the first case, that "judge" is no longer on the bench having been held to account for his stupidity.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14183 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 5:39 pm
Well here's one for you guys, it's not sexy assault if you didn't know that it is. You could argue the same for Weinstein: he didn't know that his passes crossed the line? Didn't know the culture had changed?

Ottawa man not guilty of sexual assault because of honest belief he could have sex with wife anytime
http://nationalpost.com/news/local-news ... 9af250d627
He wasn't found guilty because of his belief that raping his wife isn't rape, he was found guilty because they couldn't prove he'd done it beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's obvious he'd done it multiple times and will probably continue to do it in the future, but they couldn't prove any single event happened to a legal standard. Important distinction. As much as both I and the judge want to see this guy tossed in jail forever, he didn't have legal grounds to find him guilty.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 11:15 am
He wasn't found guilty because of his belief that raping his wife isn't rape, he was found guilty because they couldn't prove he'd done it beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's obvious he'd done it multiple times and will probably continue to do it in the future, but they couldn't prove any single event happened to a legal standard. Important distinction. As much as both I and the judge want to see this guy tossed in jail forever, he didn't have legal grounds to find him guilty.
No, they couldn't find mens rea, a guilty state of mind, and intent to cause harm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16459 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
Piro21 wrote:

Indeed. Let's remove the cultural issues, which AFAIK is not a legit defense. Ignorance of local customs is no excuse to break the law. If we look at the case in abstract, we have two married people, where one is accusing the other or rape. Although sexual assault during marriage is legally possible and a crime, it's extraordinarily difficult to prove.

There is no reliable DNA evidence, for obvious reasons. No external witnesses, unless the assailant injured the defendant to the point she had to seek medical attention. And to make it worse, there may instances of consensual sex that preceded or followed the assault in question. It comes down to who the judge believes. If there are any other circumstances, like a divorce proceeding, a custody battle, or even a long delay until charges are laid, it makes it harder to make the case.

The prosecutor has a tough job here, and I don't envy him/her.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
Jane Fonda: Weinstein accusers get media attention because they're 'famous and white'
If I could find the link I could confirm what she says. But you guts this there may be truth to this?
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
May 8, 2009
1824 posts
492 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
sandeeS wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 3:20 pm
If I could find the link I could confirm what she says. But you guts this there may be truth to this?
@sandeeS I'll give you a hand, it's an article found on Fox News.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 3:59 pm
@[sandeeS] I'll give you a hand, it's an article found on Fox News.
actually its from MSNBC interview with Chris Hays. But anyway I know almost all the sources of these quotes.
May 8, 2009
1824 posts
492 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
sandeeS wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 4:04 pm
actually its from MSNBC interview with Chris Hays. But anyway I know almost all the sources of these quotes.
Then please provide link to interview on MSNBC, we'd love to see that :D
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
Piro21 wrote:

You're almost right.

However, you stopped short of the key term.. intent.

Assault.. intent.. one and the same.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 4:48 pm
Then please provide link to interview on MSNBC, we'd love to see that :D
really? Its in same link you posted, right?
In an interview with MSNBC’s Chris Hayes on Wednesday, Fonda and her friend, longtime activist Gloria Steinem, were asked about the Weinstein scandal that has rocked Hollywood, Variety reported.
May 8, 2009
1824 posts
492 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
sandeeS wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 5:47 pm
really? Its in same link you posted, right?
Maybe, but if you have the direct link, you're always encouraged to post it.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Does Canada have its own Harvey weinstein?
[Removed]
Last edited by titaniumtux on Oct 29th, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Discriminatory post
Aug 17, 2009
636 posts
302 upvotes
On the next episode, Kevin Spacey. The part of the Toronto Star that I thought was funny was when the "House of Cards" show gets cancelled (due to Spacey), but the show's producers showed up on set once this made news, to "make sure the actors and crew continue to feel safe and supported."

Essentially: "I'm going to fire you cast and crew, even though it's not your fault, but here, I'm going to make sure you feel safe and supported." Well, if you want them to feel safe and supported, give them other jobs!

Also, here's my prediction for generations to come: as part of their job contract all aspiring actors/musicians/etc., they will have to contractually consent to any and all form of sexual contact with anybody.