• Nov 17th, 2017 3:15 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1170 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 6:27 pm
On the next episode, Kevin Spacey. The part of the Toronto Star that I thought was funny was when the "House of Cards" show gets cancelled (due to Spacey), but the show's producers showed up on set once this made news, to "make sure the actors and crew continue to feel safe and supported."

Essentially: "I'm going to fire you cast and crew, even though it's not your fault, but here, I'm going to make sure you feel safe and supported." Well, if you want them to feel safe and supported, give them other jobs!

Also, here's my prediction for generations to come: as part of their job contract all aspiring actors/musicians/etc., they will have to contractually consent to any and all form of sexual contact with anybody.
I don't think you understand the nature of backlash..

That newfangled discussion a few years back about getting someone's "verbal consent" before having sex with them or else rape? Think of that.. but on a bigger and more comically Ned Flanders level.

So like.. consent to speak to someone.. consent to speak to someone about something sexual.. consent to look at another person in their presence (or else sexual assault), and so on.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2945 posts
186 upvotes
on related subject huffington post
ENTERTAINMENT
Netflix Announces Final ‘House Of Cards’ Season Amid Kevin Spacey Scandal
Images
  • KP1.jpg
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Apr 26, 2012
332 posts
11 upvotes
It's a feeding frenzy right now for the professionally offended. Not just talking about Weinstein, all of the "survivors" and coming out of the woodwork. I bet half of this stuff never happened.

A good time to settle scores. Just allege anything that happened decades ago and watch their careers implode.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
is that all? careers implode. that is still too generous for the victims.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15795 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Oct 30th, 2017 6:27 pm
On the next episode, Kevin Spacey. The part of the Toronto Star that I thought was funny was when the "House of Cards" show gets cancelled (due to Spacey), but the show's producers showed up on set once this made news, to "make sure the actors and crew continue to feel safe and supported."

Essentially: "I'm going to fire you cast and crew, even though it's not your fault, but here, I'm going to make sure you feel safe and supported." Well, if you want them to feel safe and supported, give them other jobs!

Also, here's my prediction for generations to come: as part of their job contract all aspiring actors/musicians/etc., they will have to contractually consent to any and all form of sexual contact with anybody.
*shrug* Is it so hard to believe that Hollywood is a morally-depraved institution filled with perverts, pedophiles, and rapists? I think it's great that its chickens are coming home to roost.

What's funny is how "conservatives" used to blast Hollywood as morally depraved before any of these rape allegations, but after they came to light, they're defending many of the accused and going on victim-blaming tirades. It's good to know that hypocrisy is a constant in the universe!
Aug 17, 2009
612 posts
297 upvotes
So, here's an article from Toronto Star about some Liberal MP allegedly being accused of sexual harassment and attempting to keep the claimant quiet.

The article is about two months old. The claimant's father, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, explained the sexual harassment allegations against the Liberal MP: QUOTED from Toronto article above: "over a period of four to five years, [Liberal MP allegedly] gave his daughter unwelcome hugs, held and stroked her hand during car rides, and once brought her in a taxi to an Ottawa apartment, where he allegedly offered her wine and pulled at her jacket to try to get her to take it off. The next day he followed her to her hotel and tried to get into her room to talk..."

Sexual harassment is wrong. Period. But the actions described in the article as "sexual harassment" could be explained away. It's all about context. I don't know what happened to this Liberal MP's career. However, here's the message from all this: if you are in a position of power, don't help anyone; don't be nice; be as cold as you can be; put people down and make them fear you. If you get accused as being a bully, people will have an easier time getting over it, than if you are accused as a sexual harasser, in which case, your career may well be in the sewers.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15795 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Oct 31st, 2017 12:55 pm
So, here's an article from Toronto Star about some Liberal MP allegedly being accused of sexual harassment and attempting to keep the claimant quiet.

The article is about two months old. The claimant's father, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, explained the sexual harassment allegations against the Liberal MP: QUOTED from Toronto article above: "over a period of four to five years, [Liberal MP allegedly] gave his daughter unwelcome hugs, held and stroked her hand during car rides, and once brought her in a taxi to an Ottawa apartment, where he allegedly offered her wine and pulled at her jacket to try to get her to take it off. The next day he followed her to her hotel and tried to get into her room to talk..."

Sexual harassment is wrong. Period. But the actions described in the article as "sexual harassment" could be explained away. It's all about context. I don't know what happened to this Liberal MP's career. However, here's the message from all this: if you are in a position of power, don't help anyone; don't be nice; be as cold as you can be; put people down and make them fear you. If you get accused as being a bully, people will have an easier time getting over it, than if you are accused as a sexual harasser, in which case, your career may well be in the sewers.
Fair point. But what's happening in Hollywood, OTOH, is a whole another ballgame.

I'm curious to see the details of Corey Feldman's claims, whenever he releases them. A year ago, he would have been dismissed as a D-List crackpot. Now, they probably have some truth to them...
Aug 17, 2009
612 posts
297 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 3:28 pm
Fair point. But what's happening in Hollywood, OTOH, is a whole another ballgame.

I'm curious to see the details of Corey Feldman's claims, whenever he releases them. A year ago, he would have been dismissed as a D-List crackpot. Now, they probably have some truth to them...
Re: Corey Feldman, for sure. Let's see what he says. I think a lot of people will be curious to find out...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
Oct 31st, 2017 12:55 pm

It's pretty simple isn't it? If you're the person in power, don't try to seduce your subordinates no matter what. You don't have to be "cold" but stroking people's hands goes a little far. Also, there is really no reason for you to be alone together in private if you're not working and so you should probably avoid those situations as well.

Kang's actions definitely seem to be sexual harassment. Would he have done the same to the male assistants in the office? Did he often stroke their hands and take them back to his apartment instead of going for dinner as was agreed upon?
Aug 17, 2009
612 posts
297 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 4:01 pm
It's pretty simple isn't it? If you're the person in power, don't try to seduce your subordinates no matter what. You don't have to be "cold" but stroking people's hands goes a little far. Also, there is really no reason for you to be alone together in private if you're not working and so you should probably avoid those situations as well.
Context, my friend, context. On Bay street, it's not unheard off (but not usual either), that a director, officer, lawyer, etc. starts dating their assistant. It happens. Age difference can be as high as 20 years. I dare say that things don't go bad when the advances are made, but rather when the pursuer loses interest in favour of another person.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
Oct 31st, 2017 4:22 pm
Context, my friend, context. On Bay street, it's not unheard off (but not usual either), that a director, officer, lawyer, etc. starts dating their assistant. It happens. Age difference can be as high as 20 years. I dare say that things don't go bad when the advances are made, but rather when the pursuer loses interest in favour of another person.
That all sounds really creepy and a pretty sad attempt at normalizing predatory behaviour by shifting the blame onto the subordinate who has no real leverage. If you're not capable of acting like a normal person then don't have relationships in the office at all. No one cares about protecting the Darshan Kang's of the world from the accusations of young women that he's harassing. Darshan Kang should have acted like an adult and not a weirdo.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1170 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 6:55 pm
That all sounds really creepy and a pretty sad attempt at normalizing predatory behaviour by shifting the blame onto the subordinate who has no real leverage. If you're not capable of acting like a normal person then don't have relationships in the office at all. No one cares about protecting the Darshan Kang's of the world from the accusations of young women that he's harassing. Darshan Kang should have acted like an adult and not a weirdo.
In the end, we're talking about adults.

I'm all for busting people who are coercive in their behavior (like the couple accusations against HW), but really.. adults need leeway to be responsible for their choices to engage others in acts they very likely know aren't kosher. If they elect to go that route anyways, that's their choice, hard for them to be a victim.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14528 posts
1084 upvotes
Toronto
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 6:16 pm
Sorry I meant celebrities who work in the industry and with Weinstein aren't saying anything. A few female celebrities have come out and made vague comments via but we've yet to see the likes of Susan Sarandon and other "feminist" activists come out and denounce him. Interestingly, lots of them have projects being produced by his company.
It's all bout hoe much money means to s person. I've always maintained there's very little difference between women who makes living on her back and one that gets dolled up and flirt with the management to get promotions. were are all prostituting ourselves in one fashion or another..
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1170 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
Supercooled wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 2:30 am
It's all bout hoe much money means to s person. I've always maintained there's very little difference between women who makes living on her back and one that gets dolled up and flirt with the management to get promotions. were are all prostituting ourselves in one fashion or another..
Just look forward to when Sarandon makes her victim pitch. Probably working with a PR agency right now on how to angle it.