Automotive

Is December or January the best time to buy a used car?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 6:45 pm
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
2 posts

Is December or January the best time to buy a used car?

I'm in the market for a 2013/14 genesis coupe, should I buy in December, or wait until January to get better prices?
6 replies
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8226 posts
2393 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Makes no difference. Just buy one when the price is right for you.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4409 posts
2753 upvotes
Montreal
sahands334 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:11 pm
I'm in the market for a 2013/14 genesis coupe, should I buy in December, or wait until January to get better prices?
There is no real 'good time' to buy a used car. Yes, a sports coupe may be priced better in the winter but selection is miniscule since these start coming around for sale and trade in the spring.
Nov 17, 2013
457 posts
50 upvotes
WINNIPEG
aren't most people broke after christmas and hence january the dealerships are dying for business. hence you get the best deals and most leeway since they're struggling to make a sale.
seems like that would be the case. dont know if thats actual fact.
i once spoke to our usual sales guy when getting some warranty repair done and he said december is crazy busy at most dealerships cuz everyone is buying cars for christmas presents.

anyone have experience with this?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4930 posts
2195 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vrredflag wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:14 am
aren't most people broke after christmas and hence january the dealerships are dying for business. hence you get the best deals and most leeway since they're struggling to make a sale.
seems like that would be the case. dont know if thats actual fact.
i once spoke to our usual sales guy when getting some warranty repair done and he said december is crazy busy at most dealerships cuz everyone is buying cars for christmas presents.

anyone have experience with this?
Nope - no one has ever gifted me a car for christmas. Actually, no one has gifted me a car, ever =(
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Feb 17, 2015
572 posts
213 upvotes
Canada
Its knowing the true value of the car and good negotiation skills....regardless of the month you win. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
...its all good man... 😎
[OP]
Nov 8, 2017
2 posts
I would've thought Janauary would be the best month, since all the used cars would be one year older, and depreciate more. popularmechanics suggests November though: