• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 12:31 pm
Tags:
None
9 replies
Oct 27, 2016
104 posts
27 upvotes
I don't think it is an wise idea of spending $350 for digital camera in these days. Your LG G5 camera is good enough. If you really want to have a camera then go for any DSLR camera. You can take a look on Canon 600D or 700D. It will cost your $500-$550 with kit lens.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
2977 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver
You'll get a better answer in the Art & Photography forum

art-photography-f89/

but I can tell you that both of those are fairly old and your LG5 camera will probably be just as good if not better for random street/people shots in well lit areas.

If you want to get better quality images and still have portability (ie. avoiding lugging around a bag with DSLR & lens) look to the latest generation of 1" sensor camera including the likes of the Sony R100 mkI thru V series, the Canon G7 MkII, Panasonic LX10 and ZS100 and for something with a bit of optical zoom - the Sony RX10 MkII or MkIII, Canon G3X, Panasonic FZ1000 or FZ2500. Big $$$ though for some of these.

Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4875 posts
639 upvotes
A DSLR in full auto and kit lens will be no better than your G5. Kit lenses are generally slow (F3.5-6.3) and don't have the greatest quality. You can't expect prime quality for a $100 kit lens.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
[OP]
May 15, 2016
912 posts
103 upvotes
NewsyL wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:20 am
You'll get a better answer in the Art & Photography forum

art-photography-f89/

but I can tell you that both of those are fairly old and your LG5 camera will probably be just as good if not better for random street/people shots in well lit areas.

If you want to get better quality images and still have portability (ie. avoiding lugging around a bag with DSLR & lens) look to the latest generation of 1" sensor camera including the likes of the Sony R100 mkI thru V series, the Canon G7 MkII, Panasonic LX10 and ZS100 and for something with a bit of optical zoom - the Sony RX10 MkII or MkIII, Canon G3X, Panasonic FZ1000 or FZ2500. Big $$$ though for some of these.

I will look into some of your suggestions. Which has a good optical zoom with a good price to performance ratio?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
2977 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver
vivibaby wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 7:31 pm
I will look into some of your suggestions. Which has a good optical zoom with a good price to performance ratio?
Depends on your $$ budget, how much zoom you want, and how big a camera you want to carry around.

[OP]
May 15, 2016
912 posts
103 upvotes
NewsyL wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:18 am
Depends on your $$ budget, how much zoom you want, and how big a camera you want to carry around.

Probably a compact superzoom. I can't see myself using a camera instead of an iphone unless it's for far away shots. I don't really have a budget but would like to keep it under 500 ish.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
2977 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver
You'll probably want to consider one of these travel cams. Most of these will be not much better than your phone in low light but in good light will be superior due optics and in camera processing.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-r ... m-compacts

I have a Panasonic ZS100 with a 1" sensor I use for travel but it is out of your budget range.

[OP]
May 15, 2016
912 posts
103 upvotes
NewsyL wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 3:33 pm
You'll probably want to consider one of these travel cams. Most of these will be not much better than your phone in low light but in good light will be superior due optics and in camera processing.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-r ... m-compacts

I have a Panasonic ZS100 with a 1" sensor I use for travel but it is out of your budget range.

Thanks for the link. I think the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V is the best for my needs. When is the best time to buy a camera in terms of deals? And is it worth it to save a couple hundred dollars for the previous generation or are there usually big changes?

I don't see this in bestbuy or costco. Would it be cheaper to pick it up in korea or japan or would I run into warranty and version issues?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8746 posts
3146 upvotes
Southern Ontario
vivibaby wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:11 pm
Thanks for the link. I think the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V is the best for my needs. When is the best time to buy a camera in terms of deals? And is it worth it to save a couple hundred dollars for the previous generation or are there usually big changes?

I don't see this in bestbuy or costco. Would it be cheaper to pick it up in korea or japan or would I run into warranty and version issues?
The HX90V will give you zoom in good light. In low light, it produces quite a gritty picture because when you zoom, you have to compensate for the longer focal length and use a faster shutter speed to avoid camera shake. Doing so means you also have to use a higher ISO to make it more sensitive to light because you've shortened the time the sensor is exposed to take the picture. Remember a 1/2.3" sensor is about one quarter the size of a 1" sensor available in the ZS100 or RX100. The bigger the sensor, in general, the better it is at higher ISO's and handheld low light photography.

Because this guy used AUTO on his HX90V, and maybe had poor technique keeping still, it wasn't a fast enough shutter speed so his lowlight zoom pictures are blurry from camera shake.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3900065

Basically, there is little benefit with an HX90V over a good smartphone except for daylight zoom which you may or may not find useful depending on your shooting habits. Meanwhile, you have editing/sharing capabilities right on the phone.

If you get the HX90V or any dedicated camera, you'll need to learn the relationship between Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO when zooming in low light. Notice the aperture is the same, but the ISO changes with the shutter speed to get the same brightness in the picture and it's still not ideal (quote from that dpreview link):
Take a hypothetical situation...

Static subject, full zoom, aperture at maximum.

iso 200 ss 1/20. Good IQ but camera shake spoils image.

iso 400 ss 1/40. Still acceptable IQ but camera shake also present.

iso 800 ss 1/80. IQ starting to deteriorate, still slight camera shake with double lines.

iso 1600 ss 1/160 IQ full of noise and artifacts masking slight canera shake.

iso 3200 ss 1/320. Image sharp but all types of noise, arifacts and smudging spoils it.

It's almost a no win situation. Choose the best from a bad bunch.

Or, shoot in better light!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel