None
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2230 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Decent LED Monitor?

Hey guys,

So I was in the market for a new computer monitor, as my Samsung 226BW crapped out on me a a month ago. After about 3yrs or so usage. Would flicker black screens upon startup. Sometimes wouldnt startup at all. It was a known issue due to bad capacitator.
I picked up a Samsung 24 LED S24B35OH (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sam ... fe44b7en02)
I saw it was on sale and price was pretty much on par with Costco's 23" version of this monitor ($10 more)

I don't know a whole lot about monitors, but it appears everyones talking about IPS monitors these days, and I'm sure this one I just got isn't IPS..
I only use my computer for basic things, like surfing web, music, movies, work. Not much gaming.. Counter-Strike? COD?
Is this monitor considered about average or should I go out and pickup an actual IPS monitor?
I've got it hooked up and connected through HDMI and it looks pretty good. Haven't done any strenuous tests on it yet so far though.

My computer is Intel Core i7-2600K, Asus P8Z68-V PRO Mobo, 64GB SSD drive, 16GB RAM, Win 7 64-Bit.

Thanks for the help :)
3 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
In the LCD world, LED is a type of backlighting, not the type of panel itself. You can buy IPS panels that are LED backlit. The best IPS panels will be RGBLED backlit.

If you like the picture, and just look at the screen head-on, then I don't see the need to complain. IPS tends to be better for viewing angles than most other technologies. PVA seems to be the best out there for colour (but sucks at text).

Personally I would've spent the extra $60-$80 and snagged a Dell U2412hm on-sale, eIPS panel, LED backlighting, VESA mounting holes, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7101 posts
538 upvotes
That monitor is average, I'd say a bit on the expensive side for what you're getting. 23" gives you a lot better value for your money nowadays than 24".

People recommend IPS because the panel tends to be superior at color accuracy and color range as well as viewing angles. That being said, if neither of those aspects are relevant or significant to you then I wouldn't bother spending more on an IPS monitor as the main downside is higher input lag. Mind you, the more recent IPS monitors have good response time so this is pretty much a non-issue but there is still a small difference if that matters to you. Older IPS monitors were not recommended for gaming for this reason.

If you want a good middle ground I'd check the Asus ML series. The ML239H(23") is a cheap IPS and the ML249H(24") is an MVA panel. Both run around 200$ and are superior to your typical TN panel and have LED backlight.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2230 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
uber_shnitz wrote:
Jul 16th, 2012 10:50 pm
That monitor is average, I'd say a bit on the expensive side for what you're getting. 23" gives you a lot better value for your money nowadays than 24".

People recommend IPS because the panel tends to be superior at color accuracy and color range as well as viewing angles. That being said, if neither of those aspects are relevant or significant to you then I wouldn't bother spending more on an IPS monitor as the main downside is higher input lag. Mind you, the more recent IPS monitors have good response time so this is pretty much a non-issue but there is still a small difference if that matters to you. Older IPS monitors were not recommended for gaming for this reason.

If you want a good middle ground I'd check the Asus ML series. The ML239H(23") is a cheap IPS and the ML249H(24") is an MVA panel. Both run around 200$ and are superior to your typical TN panel and have LED backlight.
Thanks fotr the suggestions of the monitors. My monitor will stay stationary on my desk. It's always viewed straight forward. I don't have intentions of flipping it around at different viewing angles.
I have checked and it appears the ML239H is on clearance. Price seems ok. Seems to have back light bleeding and purple glow issues from a few reviews I've read.
× < >