Careers

Decent paying careers that require no college/university education?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 6:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
971 posts
140 upvotes
Vancouver

Decent paying careers that require no college/university education?

Hello guys,

I have just started college and I am quickly finding out that it's not for me. I'm 24 years old. I have been through about 40 hours of classes so far. And I am just not clicking with anything. Going to college actually brought the extreme anxiety I had when I was in highschool. The second I step on the campus, i'm like unable to talk, my mouth goes dry, my eyes get watery, i had six presentations so far, just the "introduce yourself", and I completely blew them. I say a sentence and then I just blank out. Along with that I feel that the way the subject is taught is very weird, the way the instructors go through the program, it's just not working with me...

I am wondering if anyone can recommend me careers that do not require college or university education, I will do the research on the careers for sure, i'm just not sure where to start.

Some of my experience includes, a lot of labour work, production, construction, manufacturing, i have worked sheet metal, heating and insulation (building giant industrial walls and floors), assembly requiring blueprints... recent experience is pretty much warehousing and warehouse management, i was a team leader at the warehouse i worked at but they shut down.
62 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
You'll probably find them mostly in construction, especially in remote areas where no one wants to work. Commercial trucking comes to mind. You just have to get your driver license. Manufacturing in the sense of manual work (operators) is a dying industry and is increasing being replaced by automation. Its future seems gloomy. Even truck drivers could be replaced by self driving trucks not too long into the future. Lastly, I would hesitate to call these careers though because a career implies learning and progression which seems to plateau very quickly for these labour jobs.
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
971 posts
140 upvotes
Vancouver
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 7:09 pm
You'll probably find them mostly in construction, especially in remote areas where no one wants to work. Commercial trucking comes to mind. You just have to get your driver license. Manufacturing in the sense of manual work (operators) is a dying industry and is increasing being replaced by automation. Its future seems gloomy. Even truck drivers could be replaced by self driving trucks not too long into the future. Lastly, I would hesitate to call these careers though because a career implies learning and progression which seems to plateau very quickly for these labour jobs.
Yeah that's what I thought... I wanted to try school because I wanted something more fulfilling, but the anxiety I get from being there is just overwhelming.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1804 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
You should look into the trades, like non destructive testing. That is as close to a white collar job in the trades.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3215 posts
570 upvotes
London
Call Centre work, work your way up from there.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7797 posts
911 upvotes
Markham
Contractor. A lot of them are flippers.
Buy some crappy houses, fix it themselves, resell it for profit.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
971 posts
140 upvotes
Vancouver
MP3_SKY wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:23 pm
Contractor. A lot of them are flippers.
Buy some crappy houses, fix it themselves, resell it for profit.
I was thinking of finding a way to do that, but seems like everything is really expensive nowadays. I can afford an old condo, not sure if I would be able to flip it, probably no way.
raichu1 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 9:46 pm
You should look into the trades, like non destructive testing. That is as close to a white collar job in the trades.
Thanks, I'll look into it. I don't want to do trades anymore, I worked sheet metal, worked with welders, did some tiling, i've done carpentry, done insulation work... I just became completely sick of metal, PPE, calculations, very stressful to me, that's why I ran away from trades to do warehousing even though lower pay.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
no decent career. there is no career without decent education nowaday. this isn't 1930s anymore.
Aug 16, 2008
739 posts
126 upvotes
Markham
recruiting, real estate sales, car sales.

...above do not apply if you cannot communicate well however.

bus driver, garbage collector, construction
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7797 posts
911 upvotes
Markham
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 11:09 pm
I was thinking of finding a way to do that, but seems like everything is really expensive nowadays. I can afford an old condo, not sure if I would be able to flip it, probably no way.
Yes, to get your first house. You need to make your first bucket of gold. So you have to start from basic, work as a junior contractor, follow the good guys who willing to teach you and learn from them. Get your experiences there and keep learning. Once you save enough money and got enough skill, then you are probably ready to go.

No, you probably not making big money at the beginning, but you skipping college and university. Use those time to armor up. No body is making big bucks at the first day of the job, right?

I'm not an handyman to start with, and my parents rather I finish university. Each person's career path is different.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
army always need people with high school education or no education.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4798 posts
901 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
- Many trades, especially the less desirable ones - Heavy duty mechanic, plumber, electrician, glazier, millwright, pipefitting, gasfittng, HVAC
- Police
- firefighting
- carpenter if you make your own company and/or do house flips yourself
- massage therapy (though hard on your wrists)
- garbage/waste services
- construction - heavy equipment operator
- trucking in resource-based industries
Aug 31, 2017
190 posts
48 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 6:55 pm
Hello guys,

I have just started college and I am quickly finding out that it's not for me. I'm 24 years old. I have been through about 40 hours of classes so far. And I am just not clicking with anything. Going to college actually brought the extreme anxiety I had when I was in highschool. The second I step on the campus, i'm like unable to talk, my mouth goes dry, my eyes get watery, i had six presentations so far, just the "introduce yourself", and I completely blew them. I say a sentence and then I just blank out. Along with that I feel that the way the subject is taught is very weird, the way the instructors go through the program, it's just not working with me...

I am wondering if anyone can recommend me careers that do not require college or university education, I will do the research on the careers for sure, i'm just not sure where to start.

Some of my experience includes, a lot of labour work, production, construction, manufacturing, i have worked sheet metal, heating and insulation (building giant industrial walls and floors), assembly requiring blueprints... recent experience is pretty much warehousing and warehouse management, i was a team leader at the warehouse i worked at but they shut down.
Internship? Contract? Insurance may also be a good start
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13393 posts
1223 upvotes
If you have some startup capital, you can trade crypto.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.