Careers

Decent paying careers that require no college/university education?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 6:09 am
Tags:
Oct 9, 2013
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Syne wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:14 pm
If you have some startup capital, you can trade crypto.
I'd have to disagree, about 4 months ago I thought I'd try it. Invested $40 (got my bank account locked/deactivated requiring a new card because the transaction was classified as suspicious, yet I went threw bitit.io which uses 3rd party verification requiring me to answer information only I'd know) and started crypto mining DGB, for the first month I made $60 profit. 2 months ago DGB crashed along with DOGE which made me loose half of my bitcoin value. My BC value is currently 120-130 USD, so it's not worth it as a career unless you live with family for free and willing to work as tho you have a 3 month old child that won't stop crying.

The biggest issue with crypto trade is it can crash when you're asleep or even in the shower, having a quick bite to eat...
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13357 posts
1211 upvotes
EggRollz wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 8:11 am
I'd have to disagree, about 4 months ago I thought I'd try it. Invested $40 (got my bank account locked/deactivated requiring a new card because the transaction was classified as suspicious, yet I went threw bitit.io which uses 3rd party verification requiring me to answer information only I'd know) and started crypto mining DGB, for the first month I made $60 profit. 2 months ago DGB crashed along with DOGE which made me loose half of my bitcoin value. My BC value is currently 120-130 USD, so it's not worth it as a career unless you live with family for free and willing to work as tho you have a 3 month old child that won't stop crying.

The biggest issue with crypto trade is it can crash when you're asleep or even in the shower, having a quick bite to eat...
You weren't trading crypto, you were mining $h!tcoins.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Nov 19, 2014
863 posts
237 upvotes
Thanks, I'll look into it. I don't want to do trades anymore, I worked sheet metal, worked with welders, did some tiling, i've done carpentry, done insulation work... I just became completely sick of metal, PPE, calculations, very stressful to me, that's why I ran away from trades to do warehousing even though lower pay.
Blasphemy! According to RedFlagDeal posters, the trades is the route to millions without college! There is no downfall to trades. They get the pay of neurosurgeons without the 14 years of education.

MBA? More like NDT. Sequoia capital you say!? Try Laybricks capital!
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
May 28, 2004
486 posts
107 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 6:55 pm
Hello guys,

I have just started college and I am quickly finding out that it's not for me. I'm 24 years old. I have been through about 40 hours of classes so far. And I am just not clicking with anything. Going to college actually brought the extreme anxiety I had when I was in highschool. The second I step on the campus, i'm like unable to talk, my mouth goes dry, my eyes get watery, i had six presentations so far, just the "introduce yourself", and I completely blew them. I say a sentence and then I just blank out. Along with that I feel that the way the subject is taught is very weird, the way the instructors go through the program, it's just not working with me...
[...]
This is not an answer to your question but don't worry about how those "introduce yourself" answers went. A lot of people don't like to talk about themselves or don't sound great when put on the spot. If you're continuing to feel anxiety and/or want career/program advice, consider booking a meeting with a college counsellor or support person. Colleges are literally filled with staff there to help you. In no way am I saying you should stay in college - that's up to you - but while you're there it's a great opportunity to make use of their services and programs.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4633 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Seems there is more at play here than a phobia to education. Academics is more about studying, writing exams and passing a series of courses. I doubt you lost any marks from bombing the first day "introduce yourself" "presentation".
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Dec 28, 2015
129 posts
27 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Construction, trades, contractor, armed forces, realtor
Mar 12, 2006
489 posts
15 upvotes
CN is hiring Conductors. No life-balance, your life is the railways from what I hear. You work outside, in all weather, 24/7 type of job. Work on christmas, etc.

Or, you rough it out in School in a decent program for a way better life.

Edit: That anxiety isn't going to just go away. you will eventually have to face it and deal with it.

- Sounds like the perfect job for you would be like a CN or CP Freight Mechanic, keep your eyes posted for that
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4042 posts
221 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:39 am
SAles. @ a bank or for an insurance company. Or even selling cars. IF you know how to talk and have a decent face/clothes... You can pull it off.
You do need education in the industry. Well, once you're in. If you're selling it you need a licence (RIBO in ON)
It doesn't sound like the OP could talk to people though if he's having a hard time introducing himself.
napasah wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:24 pm
This is not an answer to your question but don't worry about how those "introduce yourself" answers went. A lot of people don't like to talk about themselves or don't sound great when put on the spot. If you're continuing to feel anxiety and/or want career/program advice, consider booking a meeting with a college counsellor or support person. Colleges are literally filled with staff there to help you. In no way am I saying you should stay in college - that's up to you - but while you're there it's a great opportunity to make use of their services and programs.
+1
Go seek help. Ask as campus services. You're definitely not the first person who has anxiety being at school. I have test anxiety of sorts. I start to second guess and doubt myself and my mind often goes blank unfortunately. It's a work in progress though.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1361 posts
400 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:39 am
SAles. @ a bank or for an insurance company. Or even selling cars. IF you know how to talk and have a decent face/clothes... You can pull it off.
Did you not read his initial post where he gets anxiety from just introducing himself to classmates?

Don't think a bank sales job with a high pressure to preform is really up his alley...
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
957 posts
137 upvotes
Vancouver
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:13 am
Did you not read his initial post where he gets anxiety from just introducing himself to classmates?

Don't think a bank sales job with a high pressure to preform is really up his alley...
Definitely not, I think many people don't really take anxiety seriously. I just realized how bad mine is, and will definitely look into trying out meds. I think my anxiety has a lot to do with PTSD as well. I was bullied from elementary through highschool really badly. Because in most workplaces I am alright. But the second I step onto a school campus, my body goes haywire, my mouth gets dry, my eyes get watery, I get dizzy, I have to piss every 10 minutes, I can't talk, i'm scared to do anything. I haven't felt these feelings since highschool. I feel going to college actually brought all this anxiety back, because I was just fine before I started, now i've lost all my self-esteem, confidence, focus, etc. I'm actually scared to go to school right now. Even though I think I will withdraw this week.

I have tried to work customer service, not really sales, and it definitely did not help my anxiety. I had the same symptoms of anxiety, dry mouth, unable to talk, watery eyes, a lot of panicking. I actually ended up walking out of that company after a week because I couldn't handle it.

I haven't even drove in 2 years because of anxiety, and i've had 3 years experience of driving prior.
Last edited by SquirreI on Sep 11th, 2017 8:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
Dec 23, 2015
66 posts
39 upvotes
Trades, you would be blown away at how much some plumbers , electricians earn.
Dec 23, 2015
66 posts
39 upvotes
Oh and 1 more thing. Your anxiety won't go away by hiding from it. I know it's not easy but you need to put yourself into those uncomfortable situations. When you realize your not going to explode or die from these situations little by little your anxiety will fade away and you will find yourself doing things you never thought possible. This however won't come without a lot of work and discomfort, anything worthwhile is never usually easy though.