Careers

Decent paying careers that require no college/university education?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 6:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
957 posts
137 upvotes
Vancouver
6060842 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:14 am
Trades, you would be blown away at how much some plumbers , electricians earn.
I am actually thinking of plumbing, I'll look into the career more. I don't think it's something I want to do for the rest of my life, but it would be a start to stable income I think. Not really sure how the industry is.
Dec 23, 2015
66 posts
39 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:26 am
I am actually thinking of plumbing, I'll look into the career more. I don't think it's something I want to do for the rest of my life, but it would be a start to stable income I think. Not really sure how the industry is.
Yup, very few people will do the same career for their whole lives now. Trades will continue to be in demand even in the face of mass automation. I think that would be an excellent option until you decide that you have the skills and desire to move on.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18202 posts
3321 upvotes
Thornhill
Find a niche product to sell, perhaps one in an area of interest/hobby.

For example, an old friend from high school had always been socially....inept. We played a bunch of video games growing up together so that was our go-to topic, but other then that, he wouldn't talk about anything else.

We lost contact for almost a decade but he randomly messaged me on Battle.net and we reconnected again. Turns out, he was jumping from career to career, even landed in the Canadian Reserves but he couldn't take faking his 'personality' anymore. He had saved a lot of money during the time and now lives comfortably downtown, and builds electrical hardware for a really niche hobby market, as well as a review channel on YouTube. It pays the bills (he can charge a premium in this market for his products) and he is very happy.

Not for everyone, and you have to make a name for yourself in todays market where everyones an 'entrepreneur' by uploading videos to YouTube, but perhaps an idea to consider.

Personally I'm considering this option too, but the hard part if finding a product.
Mar 17, 2016
358 posts
234 upvotes
Don't be so quick to drop out of college. You've only been through your first week dude. I guarantee you everyone feels anxiety during the first week/month of their first year. Ive experienced the same. You'll feel drastically different once you get more comfortable and settle in more.

If you still feel the same way next summer, I'd think about perhaps picking a different program. Engineering, accounting, dentistry, programming, pharma - good paying areas where there won't be any public speaking required.

Going into the trades should be your absolute last resort. It's just as hard to crack into a good paying trade job as it is to a good paying office job. These "40$/hour plumber, electrician" positions that people are throwing around will very well take you a decade if not more to get to. You'll be closing in on 40 by the time you crack into it. After that you might have 20 years left of running around working in all weather conditions at best before your joints start giving out.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3566 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
Please correct me if I'm wrong but my impression was that you couldn't really do trades without college training (e.g. plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc) and I've hard it's almost impossible to get into police / fire even with a university degree.

I think sales, general labour (e.g. working at GM) and entry level government positions are your best bet.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1864 upvotes
Edmonton
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:13 am
Definitely not, I think many people don't really take anxiety seriously. I just realized how bad mine is, and will definitely look into trying out meds. I think my anxiety has a lot to do with PTSD as well. I was bullied from elementary through highschool really badly. Because in most workplaces I am alright. But the second I step onto a school campus, my body goes haywire, my mouth gets dry, my eyes get watery, I get dizzy, I have to piss every 10 minutes, I can't talk, i'm scared to do anything. I haven't felt these feelings since highschool. I feel going to college actually brought all this anxiety back, because I was just fine before I started, now i've lost all my self-esteem, confidence, focus, etc. I'm actually scared to go to school right now. Even though I think I will withdraw this week.

I have tried to work customer service, not really sales, and it definitely did not help my anxiety. I had the same symptoms of anxiety, dry mouth, unable to talk, watery eyes, a lot of panicking. I actually ended up walking out of that company after a week because I couldn't handle it.

I haven't even drove in 2 years because of anxiety, and i've had 3 years experience of driving prior.
My suggestion is to get help with your anxiety. Not just meds, but learning techniques to deal with it. My ex started having anxiety attacks a long time ago. The meds helped a lot. But they only treat the immediate symptoms. IMHO, the best thing to do is use them to cope short term, but seek help to "re-program" yourself to deal with the actual causes.

Good luck.

C
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36370 posts
2372 upvotes
Toronto
If you cant do school
You can't talk your way out of things like a sales man or an office worker rising the ranks

You Can try to nail a high paying job with the govenment.

My cuz works @ the hospital. Over $20/hr and full pension/benefits. He does general labor. Stuff like dropping off food trays, or tossing linens into the machine. Ez job. He smokes up before work and its ez going.

Janitor's have the same deal.
Garbage men
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4852 posts
1977 upvotes
Richmond Hill
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:50 am
My cuz works @ the hospital. Over $20/hr and full pension/benefits. He does general labor. Stuff like dropping off food trays, or tossing linens into the machine. Ez job. He smokes up before work and its ez going.

Garbage men
Throw OT into the mix and you've got a pretty good gig. Lots of my buddies do double shifts and the money they make is crazy
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
957 posts
137 upvotes
Vancouver
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:50 am
If you cant do school
You can't talk your way out of things like a sales man or an office worker rising the ranks

You Can try to nail a high paying job with the govenment.

Garbage men
Thanks. I will try looking for jobs like that, I really don't mind those jobs. I feel those jobs are more of my thing. Maybe I can be a mail sorter, or something like that.
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:50 am
My suggestion is to get help with your anxiety. Not just meds, but learning techniques to deal with it. My ex started having anxiety attacks a long time ago. The meds helped a lot. But they only treat the immediate symptoms. IMHO, the best thing to do is use them to cope short term, but seek help to "re-program" yourself to deal with the actual causes.

Good luck.

C
I'm going to see a doctor today, hopefully, going to the walk-in clinic. I think I need to be on anti-depressants.
michelb wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:29 am
Please correct me if I'm wrong but my impression was that you couldn't really do trades without college training (e.g. plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc) and I've hard it's almost impossible to get into police / fire even with a university degree.

I think sales, general labour (e.g. working at GM) and entry level government positions are your best bet.
I think I can handle it if it's a trades program, like 6 months, it should be fine. I have experience with trade jobs. I know first hand that you don't need school for trades, I was a labourer at this company and they trained labourers into other trades, like welding, sheet metal, etc. But I think you do need like some post-secondary paper to get the higher paying jobs. But I really don't want to go back into that sort of environment. I'm thinking residential plumbing is the best bet for me, if i were to pick a trade.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1864 upvotes
Edmonton
SquirreI wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm going to see a doctor today, hopefully, going to the walk-in clinic. I think I need to be on anti-depressants.
Again... I'd highly suggest not just treating the symptoms (anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, etc). Treat the causes. The medications have their own side-effects and issues. As a student, take advantage of counseling services offered at low/no cost. Or if you end up dropping out, explore low income support options if you need to.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3296 posts
1260 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MP3_SKY wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:23 pm
Contractor. A lot of them are flippers.
Buy some crappy houses, fix it themselves, resell it for profit.
They are in Vancouver. Not going to happen anywhere even close to their region.
Mar 12, 2006
489 posts
15 upvotes
I am similar to you Squirrel, and It took me until 25/26 to finally do something about.

Noone is going to help you but yourself. You have to put in the effort to seek help and address these issues. I sort of addressed it by shock therapy in a job that was outside my norm. Let's just say...one of the hardest periods of my life but worth it. It's not gone, but it's manageable.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4625 posts
822 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The Edmonton Police Service are actively hiring and their people make $100K+ with a generous benefits package after a few years. They require 2+ years of post secondary education but it's less cut throat than 4+.
Feb 3, 2009
317 posts
38 upvotes
Fergus, ON
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:10 am
Going into the trades should be your absolute last resort. It's just as hard to crack into a good paying trade job as it is to a good paying office job. These "40$/hour plumber, electrician" positions that people are throwing around will very well take you a decade if not more to get to. You'll be closing in on 40 by the time you crack into it. After that you might have 20 years left of running around working in all weather conditions at best before your joints start giving out.
Union electricians and plumbers make $40-$45/hr plus pension and benefits. Hard to get into, but after 5-6 year apprenticeship you'll be making $45-$50/hr, double time after your 8-9 hours and on weekends.