Careers

Decent paying careers that require no college/university education?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2017 6:09 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1994 posts
295 upvotes
Edmonton
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:10 am
Going into the trades should be your absolute last resort. It's just as hard to crack into a good paying trade job as it is to a good paying office job. These "40$/hour plumber, electrician" positions that people are throwing around will very well take you a decade if not more to get to. You'll be closing in on 40 by the time you crack into it. After that you might have 20 years left of running around working in all weather conditions at best before your joints start giving out.
Spoken like one who has no idea about how it really is, just from hearing from others.

But it doesn't matter, the more people who view it like this, the more money we make. And right now I'm sitting happy at $80 per hour.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Mar 29, 2012
957 posts
137 upvotes
Vancouver
yeah I actually have experience in the trades, and it seems they give you a significant raise every other year. i started as a union trade labourer at $19, and then they bumped me to $22 within two months for working in sheet metal and insulation. welders started out 22, then 25, then 32, or something at the company i was at. but i absolutely didn't like the work i was doing. it was making me miserable. maybe because it was in the manufacturing industry. i think something like residential or construction plumbing would be more interesting, not sure.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13915 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
FirstGear wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:03 pm
The Edmonton Police Service are actively hiring and their people make $100K+ with a generous benefits package after a few years. They require 2+ years of post secondary education but it's less cut throat than 4+.
The guy has severe anxiety which is keeping him out of a classroom. He's not going to make it through the academy, much less the actual on-the-job interactions that come with being a police officer.

OP, find some back-office jobs in an office or jobs where you're not interacting with the public. Be a forklift driver at Costco, a transit employee who cleans or maintains the fleet or works in their offices, a garbage man (they actually make a fair bit), or the necessary jobs somewhere like a hospital. Go to the city website and see what kinds of positions they have available. The CRA also takes people who can pass their tests for things like their call centre, so you could try that too.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Nov 19, 2014
863 posts
237 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:57 am
Spoken like one who has no idea about how it really is, just from hearing from others.

But it doesn't matter, the more people who view it like this, the more money we make. And right now I'm sitting happy at $80 per hour.
Yes, trades are definitely the road to riches. What tmkf_patryk and all the other RFDers here should do is, they should go to their local high school's career day. And they should give a speech about dropping out and going into labour. Make sure to cite the $80/hour you're making.

All multi-millionaires sitting on the Google campus? Those Surgeons making $350,000 a year? The law partners making $2,000,000. Losers, they don't know what they're doing! They should've done trades. Had they met tmkf_patryk, they could be successful like him.

Trades is the road to riches. MBA? Think NDT! Silicone Valley billionaires you say?? Shiiiit, that's nothing, I drive a BMW in Fort Mac! I'm a real baller for real.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Mar 27, 2012
160 posts
62 upvotes
Some insurance underwriting positions pay well without a formal education
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2617 posts
277 upvotes
Ottawa
Corner3 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:07 pm
Yes, trades are definitely the road to riches. What tmkf_patryk and all the other RFDers here should do is, they should go to their local high school's career day. And they should give a speech about dropping out and going into labour. Make sure to cite the $80/hour you're making.

All multi-millionaires sitting on the Google campus? Those Surgeons making $350,000 a year? The law partners making $2,000,000. Losers, they don't know what they're doing! They should've done trades. Had they met tmkf_patryk, they could be successful like him.

Trades is the road to riches. MBA? Think NDT! Silicone Valley billionaires you say?? Shiiiit, that's nothing, I drive a BMW in Fort Mac! I'm a real baller for real.
The surgeon and the law partner are definitely outliers; most people with university education (and in fact most lawyers) don't make nearly that much.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2617 posts
277 upvotes
Ottawa
Corner3 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:07 pm
There's big difference between a) dropping out of school qnd aimlessly doing general labour or b) Finishing high school and following a solid career path in a trade.
Mar 17, 2016
358 posts
234 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:57 am

Haha you're the clown that keeps bragging how much you make in trades. I see you literally in almost every thread.

One day you say you're clearing 200k a year, another it's 80k, then it's back to 200k+. Then it's 1000 a week easy. Now apparently you're going with $80 per hour.

Why not make up your mind and keep the lies consistent at least?
Nov 19, 2014
863 posts
237 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:49 pm
The surgeon and the law partner are definitely outliers; most people with university education (and in fact most lawyers) don't make nearly that much.
"Most" people in trades do not make $80 or an hour. "Most" people in trades aren't clearing $153, 600 annually.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Sep 4, 2007
944 posts
319 upvotes
Edmonton
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:02 pm
One day you say you're clearing 200k a year, another it's 80k, then it's back to 200k+. Then it's 1000 a week easy. Now apparently you're going with $80 per hour.
The per hour rate is probably the better way to express trades compensation. They don't work the standard 9-5 hours. Hours are inconsistent year to year. Mass lay-offs are expected at project end. Much of their large annual pay can come from overtime hours in banner years, but there can also be lean years.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2617 posts
277 upvotes
Ottawa
Corner3 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:59 pm
"Most" people in trades do not make $80 or an hour. "Most" people in trades aren't clearing $153, 600 annually.
Yes, but the average tradesperson is making similar to what the averwage university graduate is. You used outliers to suggest that university graduates tend to earn way more than tradespeople.
Nov 19, 2014
863 posts
237 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:35 pm
Yes, but the average tradesperson is making similar to what the averwage university graduate is. You used outliers to suggest that university graduates tend to earn way more than tradespeople.
I was replying to tmkf_patryk who used outliers to suggest that tradespeople tend to earn way more than university graduates.

What's your point?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1994 posts
295 upvotes
Edmonton
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:02 pm
Haha you're the clown that keeps bragging how much you make in trades. I see you literally in almost every thread.

Why not make up your mind and keep the lies consistent at least?
I don't do full-time jobs. I don't want to, I like taking time off when I want to and work when I want to. Pay is always hourly (the best way). Some jobs are 1.5x ot, some are 2x ot. Some are overtime after 6 hours, some are after 8 and some after 10.

In the end, what does it matter. I have a zero stress job, I am healthy and fit, I have a job I love to go to and don't complain.

I feel sorry for all those working 9-5. Hit rush hour both ways. Adding stress just from the commute. No thanks

h and you won't see me driving a BMW there. It's trucks. We live in truck country
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1994 posts
295 upvotes
Edmonton
Corner3 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:59 pm
I can tell you that the journeyman rate in fort hills is at 44.87 an hour for almost every field and if they don't miss days from work, they will make roughly 77k after tax, or over 100k before. And this is similar to people who don't keep trying to get better jobs, the people who are satisfied with their rung on the corporate ladder and don't move up. Once you try to move up and make more, the world is your oyster

How did you get the 153k annual clearing?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4626 posts
822 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:35 pm
frozenmelon wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:08 pm
The per hour rate is probably the better way to express trades compensation. They don't work the standard 9-5 hours. Hours are inconsistent year to year. Mass lay-offs are expected at project end. Much of their large annual pay can come from overtime hours in banner years, but there can also be lean years.
As for many fields whether white or blue collar it really depends on the exact position and amount of work/stress/responsibilities there. Some trades people are happy to see $3x/hour, 40 hours a week, and across Canada most university graduates only make $30-60K/year... while others in either can be making $200K+ a year in an entirely different industry/type of job, though with similar credentials.

e.g. Some of the members of the Apple management team who have compensations excess of $1M+/year only have engineering degrees. Many project managers at trade companies have no post secondary credentials or just a standard trade ticket. Lawyers have the illusion of being rich but reality is most are not; the firm and the people there long enough to have a stake in it are the ones making the money. Most of the time the salary is compensation for the lost income and debt incurred over the lengthy years of the lawyer path.

All really depends on each circumstance, nevertheless just blindly getting x credential and settling at y company asking the boss for a paycheque usually doesn't suffice.