• Nov 11th, 2017 3:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
813 posts
32 upvotes
London

Decent SCAN TOOL for cheap?

I own a couple older vehicles: '02 Dodge Caravan SE and a '98 Nissan Quest.

Was hoping to purchase a "Scan Tool" that can give me real time readings on key parts of the cars (eg. O2 Sensor, Intake Manifold pressure). Has anyone had any luck finding a cheap but decent results unit? I do own an Android phone (Bluetooth, Wifi) and Windows PC if that helps.

So far i'm looking at the Veepeak Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android unit on Amazon. The review amount and rating seem good but I still do have some research ahead of me.
43 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1126 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chinese ones cost like $10-20, but may take 3 months to get delivered.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1266 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
elm327....any of the variants.
ChrisFix recommends bluedriver but they are 100 bucks. For something thatll last years i sprung for an Autel MaxiDiag. Does everything (airbags, transmission, BCM, SRS, and even BJ)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15870 posts
4743 upvotes
Ottawa
I have an OBDLink MX, allows me to access programming parameters and diagnosis.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11312 posts
1366 upvotes
6mthatch wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 2:31 pm
elm327....any of the variants.
ChrisFix recommends bluedriver but they are 100 bucks. For something thatll last years i sprung for an Autel MaxiDiag. Does everything (airbags, transmission, BCM, SRS, and even BJ)
what you mean by BJ???

if you are getting a pro scanner, go autel. if u just want basic, get the elm327 as they are under 5 bucks............
Mar 28, 2017
44 posts
20 upvotes
I just got that Veepeak one about a week ago. Using it with the Torque Pro Android app. So far used it on an '02 Town and Country and a '17 Rogue. So far I like it.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1266 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
qaz393 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 3:52 pm
what you mean by BJ???

if you are getting a pro scanner, go autel. if u just want basic, get the elm327 as they are under 5 bucks............
The innova 3160 series is also nice. On par or better than the Autel but also more expensive.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2091 posts
341 upvotes
Edmonton
qaz393 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 3:52 pm
what you mean by BJ???

bj = ball joints???

I don't know but if you want a pro scanner, then get the wiitech for the dodge and nissan consult for the nissan. Both work pretty darn good, on the more expensive side, but you can program fobs, pcm, bcm, anything which all the above cant do
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15870 posts
4743 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:46 am
bj = ball joints???

I don't know but if you want a pro scanner, then get the wiitech for the dodge and nissan consult for the nissan. Both work pretty darn good, on the more expensive side, but you can program fobs, pcm, bcm, anything which all the above cant do
Incorrect.
The mx I have can program everything you listed on my Ford.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1266 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The BJ was just a joke for all the acronyms.

How much was the mx? Upgradeable? Can you graph?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15870 posts
4743 upvotes
Ottawa
6mthatch wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 7:53 am
The BJ was just a joke for all the acronyms.

How much was the mx? Upgradeable? Can you graph?
The MX was CAD $120 from a local authorized seller and yes, it can graph when used with programs such as Forscan.
As long as the adaptor can read both ms-can and hs-can, you can get access to all modules.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1266 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am still doubtable that you'd have access to everything that the Autel/ Innova does (but id be very interested if in fact it did). For example, would you get audio system codes? AC/HVAC issues? I guess thats the big difference between a cheap and "good" system. The Autel can do everything from voltage on the 02 sensors to knowing which speed sensors are out
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15870 posts
4743 upvotes
Ottawa
6mthatch wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:50 am
I am still doubtable that you'd have access to everything that the Autel/ Innova does (but id be very interested if in fact it did). For example, would you get audio system codes? AC/HVAC issues? I guess thats the big difference between a cheap and "good" system. The Autel can do everything from voltage on the 02 sensors to knowing which speed sensors are out
I haven't dove in that deep yet, but agree that it has it's limitations and only as a good as the software it runs off of.
Currently, using with Forscan, I have access to BCM, IPC, APIM, ACM, DDM/PDM, SCCM and DSM.
Having programming access to the above modules, we were able to enable over a dozen features and add-ons, otherwise reserved for dealership visits or paid as an extra option.