Pets

Decided on a Cockapoo! Any recommended breeders?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2018 10:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 29, 2015
14 posts
Toronto

Decided on a Cockapoo! Any recommended breeders?

Hello,

I have decided to get a Cockapoo based on my extensive research about its breed and how it will fit into my lifestyle. I was wondering from your experience, are there any recommended breeders for a Cockapoo?

Thank you,
6 replies
Apr 25, 2011
850 posts
383 upvotes
British Columbia
A Cockapoo isn't a breed (I had one... she was still a mix, and came from a puppy mill I later found out.) and the person above me obviously owns that puppy broker site.

Which brings me to my main concern: most high demand designer "breeders" are in it to make money and do no health testing, don't know genetics or their importance, don't breed for temperament, etc. They aren't in it to "better the breed". You pay as much or more for a mix breed mutt with nothing to show for it besides a fancy name. Anything with a Poodle sells for big bucks. Designer dogs are bred for their popularity and "rare" colors over anything else. The rare colors frequently aren't even accepted colors in either breed they're apparently being bred from. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Reputable breeders, which are essentially never found in designer bred dogs like the Cockapoo, have a health guarantee (some will even take the dog back at ANY point of its life!), do all health testing, can trace the lineage back generations, understand genetics and breed accordingly, with a primary focus on conformation and temperament. They usually only keep a small number of a single breed (they aren't running a kennel or puppy mill) and are experts in that one breed. They won't hand off their dogs to just anyone with enough money; they want to ensure good homes and that you and your lifestyle are a good match for their puppies. They may have a waiting list.

Please do more research.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2015
14 posts
Toronto
Yes I agree with you. However, that is why I am asking does anyone know anyone that has cockapoo that they have got from someone they trust. I know it is difficult to find one, that is why I am asking. There are certain genetic testing tests that are done to Cockapoo I am hoping to find a breeder that does that.

Thanks
Apr 25, 2011
850 posts
383 upvotes
British Columbia
In knowing that, why not settle for a reputable breeder of a purebred dog? If not, then settle for a shelter mix.

For the most part the dogs used in breeding programs for designer breeds are not from good breeding lines since good breeders do not allow their dogs to go without a spay/neuter contract and would also never allow a purebred to be used in a cross breeding program. Purebred breeders are against mix breeds; not knowing what coat type, size range and inherited temperament, as well as the potential genetic issues from both sides runs against everything a purebred dog breeder is aiming for.

I'm sure there's some higher standard breeders out there of mix breeds, but they are far and few between. I would be extremely leery of them, you can say whatever you like online. Most are in it for the money.

As I said I had a Cockapoo... I thought she was from a nice family and they even delivered her to our door as they were "in the area" a few days later... Looked up the sellers name years later and saw some horredous articles about a family with that last name that bred all sorts of Poodle mixes and the dogs lived in horrendous conditions. I would never want to support something like that again and you just never know what you are supporting in most cases like this; the demand for Poodle mixes mean a great number are originating in puppy mills, then maybe passed off to brokers who aren't always as obvious as A & R Country Kennel.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1295 posts
283 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Karala wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 1:20 am
A Cockapoo isn't a breed (I had one... she was still a mix, and came from a puppy mill I later found out.) and the person above me obviously owns that puppy broker site.

Which brings me to my main concern: most high demand designer "breeders" are in it to make money and do no health testing, don't know genetics or their importance, don't breed for temperament, etc. They aren't in it to "better the breed". You pay as much or more for a mix breed mutt with nothing to show for it besides a fancy name. Anything with a Poodle sells for big bucks. Designer dogs are bred for their popularity and "rare" colors over anything else. The rare colors frequently aren't even accepted colors in either breed they're apparently being bred from. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Reputable breeders, which are essentially never found in designer bred dogs like the Cockapoo, have a health guarantee (some will even take the dog back at ANY point of its life!), do all health testing, can trace the lineage back generations, understand genetics and breed accordingly, with a primary focus on conformation and temperament. They usually only keep a small number of a single breed (they aren't running a kennel or puppy mill) and are experts in that one breed. They won't hand off their dogs to just anyone with enough money; they want to ensure good homes and that you and your lifestyle are a good match for their puppies. They may have a waiting list.

Please do more research.
This is exactly the response I expected to read when I saw the thread title. I've read posts like this a hundred times.

When looking for my first dog, I wanted a small, low shed dog. I got a mini labradoodle (aka mixed breed, aka mutt) from Pets in the Country. My sister had bought a dog from them previously, so I really did not do much research. I don't at all regret the decision. I love that little dog. She is now almost 3 years old, and has been healthy.

However, despite my positive experience, I never "recommend" doodles, or any business that breeds them. In general, doodles are hit or miss, when it comes to temperament, coat, and health. I'm unaware of any doodle breeder that does the level of health testing that would encourage me to "recommend" them.

When looking for my second dog, I got a purebred Standard Poodle. Moving forward, I think any future dogs I buy will likely be Standard Poodles. I'm not planning on getting another dog any time soon though.

Here's a picture of my wife with our two dogs.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2404 posts
591 upvotes
Kingston
Shelter dogs FTW! You are literally saving a life at times by adopting a shelter dog. You can also adopt pure bred dogs at times from rescue organizations for those breeds but most will ask for prior experience with the breed. I know there are bouvier rescue groups, giant breed rescue groups (Danes, mastiffs etc) and so on. There’s plenty of dogs currently being rescued from places where they are bred for eating or from war torn areas. Currently have rescue dogs 3 and 4 and rescue cat number 4 right now. The dogs are bouvier mix and everyone asks if they are Portuguese Water Dogs, I enjoy telling people they are rescues. My next dog will be a rescue too.