Deciem Beauty Products

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2019 4:31 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13066 posts
3756 upvotes

Deciem Beauty Products

A friend just introduced me to these products and I wanted to go to the store to check it out.

They seem super cheap and less frills.

Anyone have experience with these products?
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
speedyforme wrote: A friend just introduced me to these products and I wanted to go to the store to check it out.

They seem super cheap and less frills.

Anyone have experience with these products?
yes, lots of praise for The Ordinary. Search around the forums and look for reviews on youtube. It's sold on sephora and well.ca.

FYI, like any other skin care products, the results can't be the same for everyone.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
I've been using The Ordinary products for a while (maybe a year and a half?). I've tried various different products over this time. I don't really notice a difference in any one product vs not using it. I don't think I'll buy more of their products when the current ones I'm using finish. They're cheap enough to try out and see how you like them. If you don't like them after a few tries, you can return them.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13066 posts
3756 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: yes, lots of praise for The Ordinary. Search around the forums and look for reviews on youtube. It's sold on sephora and well.ca.

FYI, like any other skin care products, the results can't be the same for everyone.
Thanks. I like their 365-return policy so I guess there is no risk.
amz155 wrote: I've been using The Ordinary products for a while (maybe a year and a half?). I've tried various different products over this time. I don't really notice a difference in any one product vs not using it. I don't think I'll buy more of their products when the current ones I'm using finish. They're cheap enough to try out and see how you like them. If you don't like them after a few tries, you can return them.
Thank you for the response. I am hoping to add to my skin care regime just to be more preventative.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
@speedyforme Another brand to check out is Paula's Choice. They're based in the US but ship to Canada. They often offer sales with discounts on all their products plus free shipping. Their customer service is prett good if you call or write in-- they can help you identify which products would be right for you.
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
What products are you looking at, specifically? Just google each product and read Sephora or makeupalley reviews to help make a decision on whether to buy. I personally like The Ordinary's marula oil -- a steal at $10. Have been using their Niacinamide plus zinc formula for a bit which is definitely helping to fade blemishes/acne scars. Their foundation is also a great value too.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
every youtube reviewer seems to rave about Niacinamide.
lemmiwinks wrote: What products are you looking at, specifically? Just google each product and read Sephora or makeupalley reviews to help make a decision on whether to buy. I personally like The Ordinary's marula oil -- a steal at $10. Have been using their Niacinamide plus zinc formula for a bit which is definitely helping to fade blemishes/acne scars. Their foundation is also a great value too.
question: for the serums, do you mix them then apply or do you layer? Have you found the formula (mix of the serums) for yourself?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13066 posts
3756 upvotes
lemmiwinks wrote: What products are you looking at, specifically? Just google each product and read Sephora or makeupalley reviews to help make a decision on whether to buy. I personally like The Ordinary's marula oil -- a steal at $10. Have been using their Niacinamide plus zinc formula for a bit which is definitely helping to fade blemishes/acne scars. Their foundation is also a great value too.
I spoke to someone who works there and they recommended the Naicinamide + Zinc for my oily skin and another product for aging. Since the Niacinamide is so cheap I figured no risk so I bought one yesterday and did my first application. Hopeful to see some improvements to my oily skin.
yesstyle wrote: every youtube reviewer seems to rave about Niacinamide.

question: for the serums, do you mix them then apply or do you layer? Have you found the formula (mix of the serums) for yourself?
For the one I tried yesterday, I watched videos to ensure no pilling. Unless there are issues with application, you generally do not mix them with anything. Right after I tone, I put a few drops on my face and gently like spread it around my skin and let it soak up for 30seconds to 1min. Then I apply moisturizer.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
speedyforme wrote: I spoke to someone who works there and they recommended the Naicinamide + Zinc for my oily skin and another product for aging. Since the Niacinamide is so cheap I figured no risk so I bought one yesterday and did my first application. Hopeful to see some improvements to my oily skin.

For the one I tried yesterday, I watched videos to ensure no pilling. Unless there are issues with application, you generally do not mix them with anything. Right after I tone, I put a few drops on my face and gently like spread it around my skin and let it soak up for 30seconds to 1min. Then I apply moisturizer.
i was wondering if i could mix a few drops of each serum (all from The Ordinary), in my hand then apply since layering can take some time exp in the morning when im in a rush.

Also, when you apply it, how do u do it? Rub it on? or pat on? I've found conflicting info on youtube regarding this.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13066 posts
3756 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: i was wondering if i could mix a few drops of each serum (all from The Ordinary), in my hand then apply since layering can take some time exp in the morning when im in a rush.

Also, when you apply it, how do u do it? Rub it on? or pat on? I've found conflicting info on youtube regarding this.
Not sure I would just throw them all in my hand since there is an order of doing some things due to their properties, PH level and finish.

I basically avoided as much contact so I placed drops on my face and then quickly spread it around with a couple of fingers to ensure it is coated. Then just tapped lightly on my skin. No rubbing. Then let it sit for 1 min before moisturizing. My main concern was pilling from the videos and reviews and so far, I did not experience any.
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: every youtube reviewer seems to rave about Niacinamide.

I use the niacinimide on a freshly washed face (3 drops), let it soak in for 5-10 minutes, then apply the marula oil.

Honestly, the only thing that actually works wonders for my skin is clindoxyl (and a clarisonic), it's a prescription acne medication. I haven't found any serums that compare with regards to keeping my skin break-out free and scarring to a minimum. I stopped using it when I get pregnant/breastfeeding with my first son, and now I'm pregnant again and plan to breastfeed so it'll be a couple years before I can get back on it again. Astonished Face
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13066 posts
3756 upvotes
lemmiwinks wrote: I use the niacinimide on a freshly washed face (3 drops), let it soak in for 5-10 minutes, then apply the marula oil.

Honestly, the only thing that actually works wonders for my skin is clindoxyl (and a clarisonic), it's a prescription acne medication. I haven't found any serums that compare with regards to keeping my skin break-out free and scarring to a minimum. I stopped using it when I get pregnant/breastfeeding with my first son, and now I'm pregnant again and plan to breastfeed so it'll be a couple years before I can get back on it again. Astonished Face
Do you have oily skin? My main reason for using this was to reduce sebum and less oily skin.
Jun 19, 2019
4 posts
I had good and bad experience with them, and some products suited some did not. So it really depends !

Anyone experienced the same?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
I like the NIOD (about 3* The Ordinary price) line better. However, I appreciate the Ordinary for getting more people into skincare at affordable prices. They also do have some good products (Buffet, oils, glycolic)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I have always had very dry skin so oil is not an issue. However, I cannot use anything that contains niacinimide regardless of price. There is a very well known product (and it is expensive) that is based on niacinimide - and many people tried to return the product because of major irritation caused by the ingredient. Unfortunately (for me and others like me) the ingredient is increasingly being included in skin care formulations.

I cannot use (nor could I ever) anything with an acid in it - be it retinol, glycolic, Vitamin C etc. (even lactic acid) and neither can many others. I was born with thin skin and the referenced products can thin the skin. Having rosacea does not help.

I am just advising anyone who does experience irritation that it may be caused by the niacinimide. Essential oils are a nightmare for me as well - think evening primrose oil, lavender anything etc.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13066 posts
3756 upvotes
Thanks for some comments.

Since I posted here, I have changed me skin care regimen and here are some results:

- double cleanse (still trying to find the perfect water-based cleanser (may have found it with CeraVe) and maybe trying to find a better oil cleanser
- rice water + moisturizing toner
- Glycolic Toner (Ordinary) once a week (was going to try to do 2 times but don't think I will)
- Glycolic and Salicylic spot treatment once a week (nose)
- Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% (Ordinary) almost daily
- started Retinol 0.5% + Squalane (Ordinary). loved it at first but now cutting back
- CeraVe lotion or CosRX oil-free birch sap lotion or Avene Cleanance lotion

I have noticed that my skin has never been as smooth or soft. However I think my skin is thinning a bit due to maybe the retinol? I don't think Glycolic acid once a week is doing that much since the first two weeks I sort of watered it down or washed it off after 1 hr. Also I have yet to find a sunscreen I like, I tried 3 and so far 2 of them seem to dry me out or make me have a reaction or clog my pores. My skin is not as oily as it used to be, in fact I feel that it is slightly dry in the morning no matter how much I slather on at night. I may not be using the right moisturizer.

I am still in the hunt for a sunscreen, a better cleanser and moisturizer. My skin sometimes gets irritated so I will reduce my products down to just the basics and see if my skin gets a tad better. When I say irritated, I mean it gets red and then takes like 30 min - 1 hr to go away. Also when I wash my face or apply certain products, my skin gets red quickly so I know my skin is thinning a bit.

Overall, I like the Deciem products I have, just have to figure which one works better for me. I already have a schedule and learning which products goes together and which ones don't and may cause irritation.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
@speedyforme Have you tried the sunscreen that's one of those "cult classic" brands: Bioré? I have used it for years and I like it. The one downside is that's it's a bit alcohol-y smelling and sometimes makes me cough lol.

https://www.amazon.ca/Biore-Aqua-Watery ... B01MTDFFQ5

I've also used and liked this one (bought at T&T):

https://moonmooncosmetics.com/product/j ... sun-cream/

I've also tried another one I found at T&T but can't for the life of me remember the brand. Small, square ish, flat ish bottle with a little shaker thingy inside. Lol, not very helpful Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I see the Missha sunscreen get decent reviews and might try that one. Missha M BB cream is one of my HG products so I'm curious to try their sunscreen.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13066 posts
3756 upvotes
amz155 wrote: @speedyforme Have you tried the sunscreen that's one of those "cult classic" brands: Bioré? I have used it for years and I like it. The one downside is that's it's a bit alcohol-y smelling and sometimes makes me cough lol.

https://www.amazon.ca/Biore-Aqua-Watery ... B01MTDFFQ5

I've also used and liked this one (bought at T&T):

https://moonmooncosmetics.com/product/j ... sun-cream/

I've also tried another one I found at T&T but can't for the life of me remember the brand. Small, square ish, flat ish bottle with a little shaker thingy inside. Lol, not very helpful Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I see the Missha sunscreen get decent reviews and might try that one. Missha M BB cream is one of my HG products so I'm curious to try their sunscreen.
Yes I have the Biore one and that so far seems like the best one but I think it does dry my skin out more now given I have been able to control my oil production a bit better since starting my new skin regime.

I also tried La Roche Posay and that broke me out or clogged my pores on 2 occassions.

Also Neutrogena was OK but I think it clogged my pores too.

I ordered PURITO from Yesstyle and I hope it arrives soon since I heard great things about their sunscreen.

Otherwise I may have to try a good mineral sunscreen.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
speedyforme wrote: Yes I have the Biore one and that so far seems like the best one but I think it does dry my skin out more now given I have been able to control my oil production a bit better since starting my new skin regime.

I also tried La Roche Posay and that broke me out or clogged my pores on 2 occassions.

Also Neutrogena was OK but I think it clogged my pores too.

I ordered PURITO from Yesstyle and I hope it arrives soon since I heard great things about their sunscreen.

Otherwise I may have to try a good mineral sunscreen.
Have u tried cerave AM?
May 24, 2015
50 posts
8 upvotes
I use the caffeine eye serum for my dark circles! The rosehip oil is way too thick.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)