• Mar 26th, 2017 10:53 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3047 posts
332 upvotes
Torana

Decision for HELOC - PCF vs. CIBC

Hey guys. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread as there's a few HELOC threads I've posted in, but thought I would start a new one as it's slightly different topic. Just looking for some thoughts. We are planning a big reno this year and looking to set a HELOC up pretty soon.

So I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices.

PCF @ p+.5 and $150 in fees.

CIBC @ p-.5 until November 2017 and p+.5 after that. Appraisal fees waived ($320). I'll save on legal fees ($510) due to the promotional rate until Nov based on say a $100k HELOC.

So basically the CIBC route seems the best way if we set it up now. Both wife and I self-employed and it seems that CIBC might be easier to deal with us as they go by stated income and didn't require NOA's.

Any reason why PCF would be a better choice regardless?

Thanks in advance.
32 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 2, 2014
3097 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Aggy wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:34 pm
Hey guys. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread as there's a few HELOC threads I've posted in, but thought I would start a new one as it's slightly different topic. Just looking for some thoughts. We are planning a big reno this year and looking to set a HELOC up pretty soon.

So I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices.

PCF @ p+.5 and $150 in fees.

CIBC @ p-.5 until November 2017 and p+.5 after that. Appraisal fees waived ($320). I'll save on legal fees ($510) due to the promotional rate until Nov based on say a $100k HELOC.

So basically the CIBC route seems the best way if we set it up now. Both wife and I self-employed and it seems that CIBC might be easier to deal with us as they go by stated income and didn't require NOA's.

Any reason why PCF would be a better choice regardless?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a first mortgage on the property (or do you own it free and clear)? If so, who is your current mortgage lender?
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3047 posts
332 upvotes
Torana
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:56 pm
Do you have a first mortgage on the property (or do you own it free and clear)? If so, who is your current mortgage lender?
Mortgage is with rmg.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36223 posts
7043 upvotes
So anything borrowed by November will have that prime - .5% locked in?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3047 posts
332 upvotes
Torana
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:31 am
So anything borrowed by November will have that prime - .5% locked in?
Yeah. It's on their website iirc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3047 posts
332 upvotes
Torana
Just came back from PCF. I got the answers I wanted, but came home with more questions ;)

I should have no problem getting a HELOC, but they gave me another option. Since I was looking for 100k, I could refinance our mortgage at 100k more and have immediate access to the funds. Our goal is to pay off the 100k in 10 years. He gave a 5 year variable at 2.3 (possiblly 2.2). I have a current rate with RMG at 1.95 with 3 years left so I'd have to do some math and see which is better - refinance or just get a HELOC.

They also said I could refinance and apply for a HELOC and avoid the $150 appraisal charge. That way I could always have the HELOC for emergency after paying off the 100k.

Grrr...I'm more confused now.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1245 posts
517 upvotes
Aggy wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 5:14 pm
Just came back from PCF. I got the answers I wanted, but came home with more questions ;)

I should have no problem getting a HELOC, but they gave me another option. Since I was looking for 100k, I could refinance our mortgage at 100k more and have immediate access to the funds. Our goal is to pay off the 100k in 10 years. He gave a 5 year variable at 2.3 (possiblly 2.2). I have a current rate with RMG at 1.95 with 3 years left so I'd have to do some math and see which is better - refinance or just get a HELOC.

They also said I could refinance and apply for a HELOC and avoid the $150 appraisal charge. That way I could always have the HELOC for emergency after paying off the 100k.

Sounds like a pretty easy decision...

If you have the equity, and it will cost the same or less in refi fees, then go with the mortgage. Would you prefer to carry 100K for 10 years @ 3.2% or at 2.3%?

If you were planning to repay the 100K in a shorter time like 6mo to a year, it might make sense to have the flexibility of. HELOC... Doesn't make sense to carry it for 10 years imo
Sep 9, 2008
328 posts
25 upvotes
Mississauga
Aggy wrote:

So PCF is offering a 2nd mortgage or are you breaking your mortgage with RMG?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3047 posts
332 upvotes
Torana
Szharkov wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:23 pm
So PCF is offering a 2nd mortgage or are you breaking your mortgage with RMG?
Yes one option is break with rmg and refinance with pcf. . At this point we are thinking if just going with a heloc. I may or may not need 100k for the Renos so no point in paying interest for something we don't need.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3353 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
Aggy wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:06 pm
Yes one option is break with rmg and refinance with pcf. . At this point we are thinking if just going with a heloc. I may or may not need 100k for the Renos so no point in paying interest for something we don't need.
if the mortgage terms have enough pre-payment option, then you can just pay back whatever amount you don't need right away.
Sep 9, 2008
328 posts
25 upvotes
Mississauga
Aggy wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:06 pm
What are the pre-payment penalties like with RMG?
Penalty Box
Feb 2, 2014
3097 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Aggy wrote:

PCF is just trying to sell you a mortgage over a HELOC. Plus their 2.30% 5-year variable isn't that great of a rate.

If you have the Low Rate Basic Mortgage with RMG, the penalty is going to be 3% of the outstanding balance. I would call RMG and find out the penalty and then to the math to see what option is the best.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36223 posts
7043 upvotes
For the CIBC HELOC, is it a matter of just of setting an appointment at any CIBC location to discuss and apply?

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... redit.html

I just called the number provided and was told the interest was Prime + 1% if I don't have the mortgage with CIBC but the website says I don't need to have one to get that promotional Prime - 1/2%. I was told the offer is likely going to be honored at the branch level.

I'll just bring the property tax assessment and two ID's just in case.

====
Edit:

I called the closest branch and set up an appointment for Saturday. Hopefully the advisor will give me a call before then to let me know what documents my wife and I need to bring..
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3047 posts
332 upvotes
Torana
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:09 pm
For the CIBC HELOC, is it a matter of just of setting an appointment at any CIBC location to discuss and apply?

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... redit.html

I just called the number provided and was told the interest was Prime + 1% if I don't have the mortgage with CIBC but the website says I don't need to have one to get that promotional Prime - 1/2%. I was told the offer is likely going to be honored at the branch level.

I'll just bring the property tax assessment and two ID's just in case.

====
Edit:

I called the closest branch and set up an appointment for Saturday. Hopefully the advisor will give me a call before then to let me know what documents my wife and I need to bring..
This what they emailed me to bring should I wish to apply:

I will need the following from you:
· 2 pieces of ID for you and your wife (e.g: Driver’s License and SIN card, OR Driver’s license and a credit card)
· Master of Business License OR Article Incorporation (Bring your HST # if you have one)
· Investments and bank account statements
· Mortgage statement
· Last 2 year’s Notice Of Assessment
· Last 2 year’s T1 general

The fee for appraisal fee is $360.00 and legal fee is $510.00

I think we will go with just a HELOC with PCF. I thought about the refi, but doesn't make sense to pay higher interest for the next 3 years on the balance of our mortgage even though the 100k will be at a lower rate than the HELOC. Also, the legal fees may be higher they said if there's issues so safer to go with PCF and we know it will be $150 flat rate.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36223 posts
7043 upvotes
Cibc prime - 1/2 is only good until November then it goes back to + 1/2 or 1 depending on the credit limit.

I will ask the advisor tomorrow because if it is going to be +1 after November, I might just go with RBC for + 1/2 and not waste his or our time.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel