Decision Paralysis about Comp Sci

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 8:02 pm
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote

Decision Paralysis about Comp Sci

Well this might be like the 10th billion post about comp sci. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Anyway I am currently deciding which one is an overall better CS program between Ryerson Part-Time and York Full-Time as a second degree. I have up to tomorrow accept ......

For Ryerson, I know is a better school for Comp Sci, but my offer mentions that PT students are not eligible for the co-op program which I am banking on career-wise. And for this year it seems particularly competitive to get in .....
For York , from what I gather it is a 'decent' school for Comp Sci and they do have internship. I also have tons of transfer credits as well so I can finish this why quicker.

There are two things that is really messing me up:
- In comparing the curriculum, Ryerson does seem more practical and is more 'comp sci' heavy with less math compare to York, which is good. The math profs online rating at York does not seem very 'enticing' either. It seems like the profs at Ryerson are better too (?!)
- I am still on the fence with the lack of co-op for Ryerson. While York's internship program for me is 'heavily' weighted in my decision, the online consciences seems that it is not too helpful and that ultimately it is your skills that will get you to places (and particular in real life as well).

Ultimately I just want a better career, and after finishing U of T, I am thinking why make life harder for myself. I am kind of in a bad place in life right now and I do not have that many time .....

I am overall just wondering what is the better option, while everyone I spoke to mention York will be the better option (and mostly the internship), part of me is still reserve to Ryerson. Hence, I am still not sure what to commit to.

I kind of wish I have posted on here earlier.
3 replies
May 19, 2015
584 posts
194 upvotes
Are you able to switch to full time at Ryerson and get the coop?
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jun 2, 2016
12 posts
JTOWNSEND2 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 1:40 am
Well this might be like the 10th billion post about comp sci. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Anyway I am currently deciding which one is an overall better CS program between Ryerson Part-Time and York Full-Time as a second degree. I have up to tomorrow accept ......

For Ryerson, I know is a better school for Comp Sci, but my offer mentions that PT students are not eligible for the co-op program which I am banking on career-wise. And for this year it seems particularly competitive to get in .....
For York , from what I gather it is a 'decent' school for Comp Sci and they do have internship. I also have tons of transfer credits as well so I can finish this why quicker.

There are two things that is really messing me up:
- In comparing the curriculum, Ryerson does seem more practical and is more 'comp sci' heavy with less math compare to York, which is good. The math profs online rating at York does not seem very 'enticing' either. It seems like the profs at Ryerson are better too (?!)
- I am still on the fence with the lack of co-op for Ryerson. While York's internship program for me is 'heavily' weighted in my decision, the online consciences seems that it is not too helpful and that ultimately it is your skills that will get you to places (and particular in real life as well).

Ultimately I just want a better career, and after finishing U of T, I am thinking why make life harder for myself. I am kind of in a bad place in life right now and I do not have that many time .....

I am overall just wondering what is the better option, while everyone I spoke to mention York will be the better option (and mostly the internship), part of me is still reserve to Ryerson. Hence, I am still not sure what to commit to.

I kind of wish I have posted on here earlier.
Hey, did you decide to go with Ryerson computer science (part-time) or York full-time?
Sep 29, 2008
669 posts
93 upvotes
Mississauga
I go to Ryerson full time. York is fine, go where you will finish quicker. Work on side projects and interview prep on the side and you should be able to land internships on your own. I am in the co-op program but I applied directly and got interviews at a few top tech companies. In CS, it is more about what you can do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)