Home & Garden

Deck - to attach or not to attach to house

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2011 11:17 am
Tags:
None
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2005
524 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga

Deck - to attach or not to attach to house

What should we do -- attach or not attach to the house
Contractor wants to attach - less movement of deck.
On the other hand he says this is considered an increase in sq ft of the house and may increase property taxes?
Thanks for all comments/suggestions
28 replies
Member
Dec 29, 2009
460 posts
66 upvotes
fhirji wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 2:57 pm
What should we do -- attach or not attach to the house
Contractor wants to attach - less movement of deck.
On the other hand he says this is considered an increase in sq ft of the house and may increase property taxes?
Thanks for all comments/suggestions

Attach it to your house. Otherwise you'll have movement and it will be less secure. Do you want a 4 inch gap between your house and the deck in 5 years?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1088 posts
28 upvotes
Attached = permit
Not Attached = no permit

If you choose to follow the laws. Which depending on your neighbours might be a good idea
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
Absolutely attach. It is essential for good stability and safety. The only way to get away with not attaching it is if it just a tiny tiny like 10 cm platform on the ground. Even then it is best to bolt it into structure of house.

As for square footage, I would highly doubt it. A deck is an outdoor space. It is not enclosed livable space which is the square footage that counts. Though there are different types. A greenhouse or something would likely count towards square footage

And as above poster mentioned, permit is essential if it is over about 108 square feet (think it depends on area but it is around 100 sqft). The permit is required because you are building a structure. However, you can still have an attached deck and no permit... Most decks you see probably were built without permits but if city officials got really picky, they could come to your house and rip it down for erecting without a permit.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1088 posts
28 upvotes
dibksbgon wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 4:58 pm
Absolutely attach. It is essential for good stability and safety.

As for square footage, I would highly doubt it. Nothing in the MPAC asks about your backyard and decks or anything. A deck is an outdoor space. It is not enclosed. We bought our house with a deck and it is not included in square footage nor has any house I have ever seen.


And as above poster mentioned, permit is essential if it is over about 108 square feet (think it depends on area but it is around 100 sqft). However, you can still have an attached deck and no permit... Most decks you see probably were built without permits.

MPAC does care about your deck. This will raise the value of your house and inturn raise your taxes. If they find out...again it's a battle that either you win or loose depending on the people around you. Here is the link to MPAC's website http://www.mpac.ca/pages_english/reside ... ches_decks

Anything listed on that page CAN increase your home's value.

Also what city are you building this deck in? City of toronto a permit IS required for a deck
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
superwell wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 5:03 pm
MPAC does care about your deck. This will raise the value of your house and inturn raise your taxes. If they find out...again it's a battle that either you win or loose depending on the people around you. Here is the link to MPAC's website http://www.mpac.ca/pages_english/reside ... ches_decks

Anything listed on that page CAN increase your home's value.


It doesn't count towards square footage though if it is just a regular deck (not enclosed and stuff).
Nothing on our MPAC survey asked about decks. Same with hubby's mom's which I accidently opened today.
Our deck has a permit. When we bought the house the listable square footage in listing and on MPAC did not include deck nor has it ever in any of the houses we looked at.

Regardless OP needs to get a permit and should absolutely attach it.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1650 posts
542 upvotes
Kitchener
superwell wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 4:34 pm
Attached = permit
Not Attached = no permit

If you choose to follow the laws. Which depending on your neighbours might be a good idea

does it not depend on the height of the deck off the ground?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1088 posts
28 upvotes
Jamie_Canuck wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 7:18 pm
does it not depend on the height of the deck off the ground?

nope. If it's attached (speaking for toronto - since i dont know where the OP is) this is concidered a modification to the home which requires a permit
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
superwell wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 7:24 pm
nope. If it's attached (speaking for toronto - since i dont know where the OP is) this is concidered a modification to the home which requires a permit

you are wrong. for a deck up to 2 feet no permit is required
it has nothing to do with the fact if the deck is attached or not
When is a Building Permit required?

You will need a building permit if you plan to:
Construct a new building
Any addition to an existing building
Structural alterations
Renovate, repair or add to a building
Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
Change a building's use
Install, change, or remove partitions and load bearing walls
Make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
Build a garage, balcony or deck
Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
Install or modify heating, plumbing or air-conditioning systems
Install or reconstruct chimneys or fireplaces
An accessory structure larger than 108 sq. ft. in area
A deck more than 24" above ground
A wood burning stove/fireplace installation
A basement entrance
A Second Suite
New or altered plumbing
http://www.toronto.ca/building/building_permits.htm
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1088 posts
28 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 8:15 pm
you are wrong. for a deck up to 2 feet no permit is required
it has nothing to do with the fact if the deck is attached or not

http://www.toronto.ca/building/building_permits.htm

Sorry your wrong. You'll notice that building a deck and your 24" rule are 2 different lines. There is a reason to this Toronto insanity. People were making decks that were less then 2 feet off the ground to avoid extra taxes and MPAC conciderations.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
2873 posts
216 upvotes
Kitchener
vero95 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 8:15 pm
you are wrong. for a deck up to 2 feet no permit is required
it has nothing to do with the fact if the deck is attached or not

http://www.toronto.ca/building/building_permits.htm

Same in KW area..

When I built my deck I asked city hall and they said as long as the highest point is not over 2ft in height, no permit is required.. attached to the house or not. I heard in guelph it is 1.5ft.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
2873 posts
216 upvotes
Kitchener
superwell wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 8:20 pm
Sorry your wrong. You'll notice that building a deck and your 24" rule are 2 different lines. There is a reason to this Toronto insanity. People were making decks that were less then 2 feet off the ground to avoid extra taxes and MPAC conciderations.

I think you're wrong.. from vero95's link, for Toronto:




When is a Building Permit NOT required?

You do NOT require a Building Permit for the following:

Wooden decks (including pool decks) with no roof, where the finished deck level is not greater than 0.6m above the adjacent finished grade.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
superwell wrote:
Sep 7th, 2011 8:20 pm
Sorry your wrong. You'll notice that building a deck and your 24" rule are 2 different lines. There is a reason to this Toronto insanity. People were making decks that were less then 2 feet off the ground to avoid extra taxes and MPAC conciderations.

I do not think so. building permit has nothing to do with mpac's evaluation
people are building lower level decks to avoid the hassle with getting a permit
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2005
524 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
We are in Mississauga and the contractor wants to get a permit even though it is less than 2ft above ground.
× < >

Top