Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1023 posts
29 upvotes
Ontario

Deck stain... Sikkens vs. Cabot

I'll be staining my deck shortly and wondering if I should use Sikkens or Cabot, both seem to have good reviews.

My PT deck was built late last summer, early fall. I will be cleaning it then applying the stain. I want to use a semi-transparent stain in a brown colour and I've got ~1000sqft to do, plus top and bottom rails. So I want to go with Sikkens or Cabot as they are one coat stains.

Can anyone compare these two? Which Sikkens should I get? For Cabot, I would be looking at their semi-trans stain, not their Timber Oil.
Any other one cost systems I should consider?
Thanks!!
11 replies
Oct 23, 2010
100 posts
14 upvotes
Brampton
Cant comment on those brands, except that I've heard Cabot is good. I used Flood CWF-UV (redwood semi) for my pt fence 2 years ago and it still looks very good. Went on easy. Make sure there is no rain in forecast for a couple days and use a good quality brush or roller to avoid lint . If the wood is still green coloured I'd wait until its a little more weathered though.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
1864 posts
61 upvotes
North York
I can't comment on a deck, but I used Cabot timber oil on a cedar fence and was _not_ impressed, the finish didn't last a year and was applied exactly according to instructions on the can. Their ST stain might be different, although I don't think I would chance it, especially with 1000 sqft. I'd imagine a deck would wear even faster then a fence too.
Be careful shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart they repeatedly sell expired baby/food/health products.
Mar 16, 2011
254 posts
40 upvotes
Smoothie wrote:
Apr 29th, 2013 10:48 am
I'll be staining my deck shortly and wondering if I should use Sikkens or Cabot, both seem to have good reviews.

My PT deck was built late last summer, early fall. I will be cleaning it then applying the stain. I want to use a semi-transparent stain in a brown colour and I've got ~1000sqft to do, plus top and bottom rails. So I want to go with Sikkens or Cabot as they are one coat stains.

Can anyone compare these two? Which Sikkens should I get? For Cabot, I would be looking at their semi-trans stain, not their Timber Oil.
Any other one cost systems I should consider?
Thanks!!
I used sikkens on a a cedar deck and it worked great. I think it was a semi transparent. We had to replace the stairs with new cedar and the colour was slightly different on the new wood as opposed to the old, however. Maybe that wouldn't have happened if we had used the right cleaner and/or brightener on the old first. We just pressure washed and used some oxybleach to clean I think. It was a while ago so I can't recall exactly.

We used Superdeck on our new pressure treated deck we have now and were very happy with the results, also.
May 17, 2008
85 posts
3 upvotes
i used Cabot Timber oil on my cedar deck 2 years ago, after first season I needed to put on another coat just before winter, now 60% peeled off. I just spend 2 hours sanding it down yesterday. I would not try Cabot again. Also stay away from Behr. The truth is I have not seen any good transparent stain. I have seen professional review on Defy and TWP are the best but there are no stores in Ontario that has it.
cliff wrote:
Apr 29th, 2013 10:48 pm
I can't comment on a deck, but I used Cabot timber oil on a cedar fence and was _not_ impressed, the finish didn't last a year and was applied exactly according to instructions on the can. Their ST stain might be different, although I don't think I would chance it, especially with 1000 sqft. I'd imagine a deck would wear even faster then a fence too.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1283 posts
60 upvotes
I used Sikkens about 2 years ago and it's holding up great - no peeling, very little fading. Bought it at Lowes.
Feb 20, 2011
259 posts
27 upvotes
milkman_tom wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 3:23 pm
i used Cabot Timber oil on my cedar deck 2 years ago, after first season I needed to put on another coat just before winter, now 60% peeled off. I just spend 2 hours sanding it down yesterday. I would not try Cabot again. Also stay away from Behr. The truth is I have not seen any good transparent stain. I have seen professional review on Defy and TWP are the best but there are no stores in Ontario that has it.
Amen to staying away from Behr. Complete junk and didn't survive one winter on our deck. (and yes we pre-cleaned the new cedar first with Behr cleaners as recommended) Called Behr and they said yes, they had problems with the formula and replaced it with the new stuff. Stripped the deck, cleaned again and it peeled off again after a single winter.

At this point we've let both cedar decks just go to grey and they are holding up fine without any treatment. They're not big decks so if the Cedar starts to go bad I'll just pull up the Cedar and put down Composite boards. Already have aluminum railings so pretty much zero maintenance. House trim and rails are white so the grey cedar boards actually look ok. Cheers!

P.S. We have had great luck with Behr interior paint though....
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1217 posts
322 upvotes
KINGSTON
I've used Silkens and Behr, and I think they both suck, but the Sikkens sucked slightly less. As far as I'm concerned, putting any of these products on your horizontal surfaces is a waste of money and time. Use double boiled linseed and thinner (preferably turpentine) to treat your deck. It will act as a waterproof and doesn't flake off like that other ****. No sanding required when retreating either.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
1936 posts
484 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey OP, what did you end up using? I built a new deck in May (PT) and doing research, I've learned everything from doing everything to doing nothing, to TWP sucks to TWP is good. What route did you go?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2245 posts
425 upvotes
I discourage any stain whatsoever on the wood deck, solid or semi-transparent. Won't last and subsequent maintenance is going to be back-breaking! The most I would use is a CLEAR sealer to bead water, easily to apply by using a garden pump sprayer. When PT/cedar turn grey, just pressure wash with some cleaners and re-apply the sealer.

Thompson Waterseal has the clear water based sealer that I use.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
13895 posts
916 upvotes
Thornhill
I'm putting down the boards for my deck now (yeah, it's late!). Any recommendations for treating a new cedar deck? I want to keep its natural colour. Waterproofing or anything? It's also getting colder, so should I wait for next year?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 1:07 pm
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. :facepalm:
RFD discounts for Schluter products/
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2245 posts
425 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 8:57 pm
I'm putting down the boards for my deck now (yeah, it's late!). Any recommendations for treating a new cedar deck? I want to keep its natural colour. Waterproofing or anything? It's also getting colder, so should I wait for next year?
bjl
I would wait if possible. Why have the poor boards go thru winter?

Next year they should be quite dry prior to nailing. Do yourself a huge favor by applying a clear coat of water-proofer easily with a roller on all six sides of each board. A few years later when they start turning grey you can bleach them back with a deck wash and re-apply the waterproofing, easy beasy, no sanding scraping...
× < >