Deck - White Cedar or PT

Which would you choose and why?
13 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Pressure treated because it is cheaper and will need maintenance just like cedar will. Those that say cedar requires no maintenance are not being truthful. Wood is wood and the environment will get to it.
Building it yourself?
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1234 posts
423 upvotes
Alliston, ON
PT over cedar for me. Cedar is to soft to use for decking.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3215 posts
570 upvotes
London
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:42 pm
Pressure treated because it is cheaper and will need maintenance just like cedar will. Those that say cedar requires no maintenance are not being truthful. Wood is wood and the environment will get to it.
Building it yourself?
That's the thing, I've seen a deck done in the newer brown pressure treated and it looks lovely a year later and ultimately they are both going to fade to grey. We got our pirch redone on cedar a couple of years agob (the pillars and rails, not the deck boards) and it looks filthy already.

My husband is stuck on the white cedar but i know who'll be the one maintaining it and i can tell you I'm not up for it anymore. If its gonna fade im good with with PT amd the savings that gives us.

Having it built, cant do this one ourselves. The supports will be PT no matter what, its the dexk boards and railings we are 'discussing' ;)
Sep 14, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
I need to replace my deckboards.
I'm in the GTA (Markham)
Is there anywhere other than Rona, Lowes or Home Depot where I should be shopping?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2846 posts
538 upvotes
Ottawa
snow00774 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:20 am
Anyone else?
Cedar doesn't crack, split, twist and bend nearly as bad as PT. You need to decide based on your priorities whether this is a major factor or not.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5041 posts
939 upvotes
Whitby
dan289 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 12:20 am
I need to replace my deckboards.
I'm in the GTA (Markham)
Is there anywhere other than Rona, Lowes or Home Depot where I should be shopping?
Schell Lumber in Stouffville was good for cedar deck boards 4-5 years ago-haven't been there in awhile. Quality was better than HD in Markham and they matched price.
Personally I find brown PT far less maintenance, looks better a few years in and is 1/2 the cost. If you do go with brown PT when its time to stain use a penetrating oil, can't stress enough to stay away from any stain that builds a film finish.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4580 posts
816 upvotes
Markham
I'd say None of the above and go composite.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3215 posts
570 upvotes
London
gr8dlr wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 10:17 am
I'd say None of the above and go composite.
I'd love to but the cost is prohibitive for this particular deck at the moment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3215 posts
570 upvotes
London
dirtmover wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 8:52 am
Cedar doesn't crack, split, twist and bend nearly as bad as PT. You need to decide based on your priorities whether this is a major factor or not.
Over how much time does this happen in brown PT versus Cedar?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3215 posts
570 upvotes
London
. If you do go with brown PT when its time to stain use a penetrating oil, can't stress enough to stay away from any stain that builds a film finish.
[/quote]

Does penetrating bead the same as other stains?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1234 posts
423 upvotes
Alliston, ON
snow00774 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 10:39 am
. If you do go with brown PT when its time to stain use a penetrating oil, can't stress enough to stay away from any stain that builds a film finish.
Does penetrating bead the same as other stains?
[/quote]
Oil based stains do a great job. Some of the stains can be applied to the boards before they installed, if the moisture content is low enough in the wood. This would prevent any future cracking of the wood as it dries.
20170615_171750.jpg