• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 8:33 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2867 posts
2021 upvotes
akira1971 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 10:35 am
Off-Topic is so toxic right now from both sides of the political spectrum that it's not even funny anymore. And this can certainly be traced back to when RFD decided to allow political/religious discussions. I'm sure RFD has the numbers, but I get a feeling that there's been a significant drop in OT participation/unique views over the last two years. To me, the same agitators appear again and again just to argue over each other in various threads.
If RFD won't push Politics/Religion into a subforum, at least enforce strict rules to keep it mostly civil. WorldIRC got it right this morning in the Khadr thread - any taunts/insults should be an infraction. Hate for moderators to become language police, but the behaviour has to be curbed. We can start with the usual taunts like: Snowflakes; leftard; rightard; wingnut; Selfie PM/boy; etc.
TomRFD wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 11:11 am
It's possible we might separate out political/religious discussions from regular Off Topic soon. I'm sure enough people don't want to see or participate in them. I was hoping we'd have category filtering as a way to remove them from users view (if they didn't want to see them) but that's still a ways away.
DiceMan wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 5:26 pm
I think that's a positive step - separating OT. Again, I don't necessarily want political/religous threads gone as I'd like to wade into that pit once in a while to see what's going on. But it would be a breath of fresh air not to see the same posters day after day after day posting the same stuff in main OT.
IMO, politics as a subforum in OT is a very poor solution to the nasty flamewars rotting RFD-OT. Politics is a very important and interesting topic to debate if there's some basic civility in the debates. A more sensical solution would be to penalize by the book every violation of the RFD forum rules (personal attacks, flamebait, thread crapping, language, etc) as soon as they are reported/verified -- regardless of severity and without the mods getting into debates about who started the flaming, for example, if a post is reported and found out to be violating the RFD rules, it's granted automatically a non-contestable infraction, three strikes and the user is out [temp or perm ban depending on the offenses]. This should send out the message: behave or get out! Since most of these posters are redditors more than rfdealers, the RFD community has little (good quality content posters) to lose. This is a case where a few rotten apples are spoiling the entire warehouse. -- RFD used to have a very informative tool that would allow getting some stats about the participants on a given thread, if you were to apply that tool to the flame war threads in OT, you could easily see that those threads "popularity" and top of the list high ranking is due to a feuds among a really very small group of posters [given some metrics like posts:posters ratio, for example].

RFD is a moderated forum [which is fantastic!], the introduction of the downvoting system has been marvelous to deter the typical threadcrapping posts on most categories, but it'd be too prone to retaliatory or disagreement downvoting if implemented in RFD-OT. So allowing downvoting in OT is out of question.

Putting politics in a separate category (non moderated / lightly moderated subforum ) would alienate, as it's currently doing, most regular posters wishing to discuss issues of governance, economic policies and pure politics. It'd be the reddit-ation of RFD.

ITOH, a topic that should really banned in off topic is religion: it's a personal issue that has been politicized through hate speech generalizations (mudslinging from haters of A or B or C religion or nationality or ethnic background, etc) and brings nothing of value to the forums [other than a toxic environment, poor public image for YPC-RFD and a lot more useless workload for the mods/admins team]. Definitely, religion discussions have to be removed from RFD-OT.

The YPG-RFD admins seem to be mistaken about the composition of the RFD members universe disregarding the bulk of them, particularly women and non-extremist posters. Maybe they should take a better look to the popularity of threads and rediscover who the actual universe of RFD members (and audience) is and who actually contribute positively to the forums (as revenue generators, as quality content providers, as engaged constructive forumers, etc)
yare yare daze...
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15458 posts
411 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Here's an example of a post which should result, at the very least, in a temporary ban. But I fully expect it to be simply "swept under the rug" (post deleted). Since moderator WorldIRC actually posted a "zero tolerance" warning earlier in this thread, I'm curious to see what happens.
eldeejay wrote: moral equivalence fail. go back libtard school.
Sep 27, 2003
8018 posts
1434 upvotes
Newmarket
konfusion666 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 12:25 pm
Here's an example of a post which should result, at the very least, in a temporary ban. But I fully expect it to be simply "swept under the rug" (post deleted). Since moderator WorldIRC actually posted a "zero tolerance" warning earlier in this thread, I'm curious to see what happens.
What's the post URL
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Sep 27, 2003
8018 posts
1434 upvotes
Newmarket
aviador wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 5:21 pm
RFD-report-personal attack.JPG

NVM. Post was deleted. Offense really deserved issuing a ban (temp even perm).
Deleting your own post doesn't make it go away. I've dealt with the user accordingly and they are now in the box. Any more and they'll be gone.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6711 posts
197 upvotes
FreshCo wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 1:23 am
But I thought everyone loved our filipina friend KD.
lubmar wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 10:45 am
yep ... he brings so much drama ...

⬇ LOL (2 downvotes)
I dont know why you guys have to mention me. I simply participate in sensitive threads that you guys like to make regularly. If the mods allow your threads to stay up, im allowed to post and have an opposing view right?.

aviador wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 5:21 pm
RFD-report-personal attack.JPG

NVM. Post was deleted. Offense really deserved issuing a ban (temp even perm).
Wow. Didnt even see that.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1955 posts
92 upvotes
Religion and politics are nearly two sides of the same coin and I'm not sure if they can be easily separated. I think more topic needs to be introduced that aren't always political and religious. It wouldn't be a bad idea if a single thread can be dedicated to political/religious discussion. This way it could be easy to moderate discussion and users in a single thread.

My two cents.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3271 posts
410 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 6:43 pm
I dont know why you guys have to mention me. I simply participate in sensitive threads that you guys like to make regularly. If the mods allow your threads to stay up, im allowed to post and have an opposing view right?.

Wow. Didnt even see that.
yep ... and yes Rover's post wasn't nice ...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6711 posts
197 upvotes
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 7:00 pm
Religion and politics are nearly two sides of the same coin and I'm not sure if they can be easily separated. I think more topic needs to be introduced that aren't always political and religious. It wouldn't be a bad idea if a single thread can be dedicated to political/religious discussion. This way it could be easy to moderate discussion and users in a single thread.

My two cents.

If religion/politics is allowed, it just make sense to have a separate forum. Or at least do the same thing with the Trump thread(imho, this one is working). All the Trump threads are dumped in here.

Trump, Canadian Politics, Religion, Worldnews Thread. There will be less clutter.

The only bad thing about this is that these threads will be at the top because it will be always busy.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4371 posts
509 upvotes
aviador wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 6:27 pm
ITOH, a topic that should really banned in off topic is religion: it's a personal issue that has been politicized through hate speech generalizations (mudslinging from haters of A or B or C religion or nationality or ethnic background, etc) and brings nothing of value to the forums [other than a toxic environment, poor public image for YPC-RFD and a lot more useless workload for the mods/admins team]. Definitely, religion discussions have to be removed from RFD-OT.
Disagree. If political discussions can be allowed, politics can overlap into religion without being exclusively about personal religious topics and therefore the same standards--civil discussion--should be allowed.

Arguing about individual interpretations of scripture = pure religious discussion; fine, take it to that religion's forums

On the other hand, discussion regarding laws or political issues revolving around religion; societal or anthropological observations/opinions, etc. have just as much merit and "value" as any other political topics. Frankly, I myself am not sure what kind of value the admins are looking for in discussions of this nature on a coupons/savings forum, but if the notion is parallel to getting people informed, interested, and involved in the community, in my view they are both equally worthless or equally relevant.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14242 posts
1003 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 7:26 pm
I wish we'd do one of the following:

1. Shut that section down, it has nothing to do with the premise / existence of RFD
2. Let it be a free for all, beware upon entry

Not sure either will happen :(
It's called Off Topic, let it be off topic. The incessant need to moderate it beyond what is acceptable decorum is excessive. Provided people are not cursing and attacking people on a personal level, there should be no need to moderate that section. I'm quite frankly sick of getting my threads locked for so-called low content because a certain moderator doesn't agree it's 'stimulating' enough. There is a feature that lets users make it disappear from their view, let it do its job.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13761 posts
816 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 7:50 pm
It's called Off Topic, let it be off topic. The incessant need to moderate it beyond what is acceptable decorum is excessive. Provided people are not cursing and attacking people on a personal level, there should be no need to moderate that section. I'm quite frankly sick of getting my threads locked for so-called low content because a certain moderator doesn't agree it's 'stimulating' enough. There is a feature that lets users make it disappear from their view, let it do its job.
But that's basically what any of the religious or political threads turn into, people being called alt-right, or liberals, cucks, Nazi's, racist, sjws, snowflakes. That's not acceptable decorum and the whole goal of a debate is to come to some sort of understanding of the other person's views, and that just will never happen.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3428 posts
933 upvotes
Toronto
I would love the ability just to turn off the whole section from my view ... I like that I can hide threads, but I'd love to hide multiple sections as well.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3271 posts
410 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 9:19 am
But that's basically what any of the religious or political threads turn into, people being called alt-right, or liberals, cucks, Nazi's, racist, sjws, snowflakes. That's not acceptable decorum and the whole goal of a debate is to come to some sort of understanding of the other person's views, and that just will never happen.
+1
there are a few members that are using those so often (if not always) ...