• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2017 9:39 am
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 8:37 pm
There are unfortunately too many immature people on this site to support conversation and discourse. And with as many people that fit the aforementioned categories, there are an equal amount of "crybabies" on here who insist on reporting every little thing in OT, stuff that I'd normally let go if it wasn't reported.
I highly doubt its about being "crybabies". Its about trying to figure out where the "line" is.

If people are getting infraction for the same exact post that other people are making then it only make sense to report them.

There is a guy right now spamming the Trump thread with memes. Typical 4chan "kekek" stuff. Its completely ignored. When other people are doing it, they get an infraction for trolling.

So what can those members do other than report it?. For myself, I cant post the same way as other posters. As soon as I do. Its an infraction.

IMO. If a couple of members are allowed to post that way, the rest should be allowed as well.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2929 posts
2061 upvotes
aviador wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 7:12 pm
RFD-OT flaming has gone so out of hand that currently TomRFD is doing some of the moderation. Geez... what a waste of resources in an unproductive task: having an expensive employee doing menial tasks that are usually done by (unpaid) volunteers. Task mostly unnecessary if these infractors were purged from the forums or had their posting privileges rescinded at their first offense of this kind. In an analogy to a hospital, it's like having a busy surgeon carrying out orderly duties.

Here's one example of the typical exchanges if the moderation is lax ('you're an immature person' vs. "you are a terrorist sympathizer / terrorism supporter") -- not the only instance of this exchange in OT, just a random pick.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 11th, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: let's keep this about the topic and not about individuals

Welp.

It was perfectly on topic! It's just a random example for everybody to see what's transpiring in Off Topic. What are you even talking about?
yare yare daze...
Sep 27, 2003
8157 posts
1547 upvotes
Newmarket
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 9:05 pm
I highly doubt its about being "crybabies". Its about trying to figure out where the "line" is.

If people are getting infraction for the same exact post that other people are making then it only make sense to report them.

There is a guy right now spamming the Trump thread with memes. Typical 4chan "kekek" stuff. Its completely ignored. When other people are doing it, they get an infraction for trolling.

So what can those members do other than report it?. For myself, I cant post the same way as other posters. As soon as I do. Its an infraction.

IMO. If a couple of members are allowed to post that way, the rest should be allowed as well.
I would love to help establish that line to help with consistency in moderation and rules. Hopefully the admins can look into this in more detail.

When it comes to infractions, we don't always just infract based on the post. We do look at a user's posting history and infraction history to determine how one would be dealt with. Sometimes we will remove the post, sometimes we will PM the user, sometimes we'll warn or infract through the infraction system, sometimes we'll remove posting privileges, sometimes we'll ban (but we don't take banning lightly).

These memes in OT. Do they break any actual forum rules (sorry I haven't been in the Trump thread for a while so no idea what's going on in there). Is it possible other memes broke rules and these ones don't?

As for your infraction history, for sake of privacy and respect to decisions made by other mods, I won't discuss it out here; however, @TomRFD is always willing to review if you'd like him to.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Apr 29, 2012
271 posts
131 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 6:43 pm
I dont know why you guys have to mention me. I simply participate in sensitive threads that you guys like to make regularly. If the mods allow your threads to stay up, im allowed to post and have an opposing view right?.

I think what they are trying to get at is you’re part of the problem. Voicing an opinion is fine, but not the way you do it.
I haven’t bothered with off topic in a while but from what I remember you’re the first out of the gate with insults and absurd accusations, followed by excessive use laughing emojis. I think the last conversation we had involved some jab about me being an advocate of tax cuts which had nothing to do with the topic at hand. And I’m still waiting for you to provide evidence that I advocated for tax cuts.
When you do these things, people will retaliate, and then it degenerates from there. It is possible to have fruitful conversations with opposing opinions without personal attacks.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3518 posts
454 upvotes
rfduser199 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:35 pm
I think what they are trying to get at is you’re part of the problem. Voicing an opinion is fine, but not the way you do it.
I haven’t bothered with off topic in a while but from what I remember you’re the first out of the gate with insults and absurd accusations, followed by excessive use laughing emojis. I think the last conversation we had involved some jab about me being an advocate of tax cuts which had nothing to do with the topic at hand. And I’m still waiting for you to provide evidence that I advocated for tax cuts.
When you do these things, people will retaliate, and then it degenerates from there. It is possible to have fruitful conversations with opposing opinions without personal attacks.
+1
(sorry Kevin ... but he has a point)
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23266 posts
1058 upvotes
Markham, ON
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 10:25 pm
Here's a novel idea; why not ignore those meritless reporting? What's worse than "immature" people are those who try to sterilize this site by reporting every nuanced offence like the example you gave. As a moderator, you are facilitating the decline of OT by caving in to them. That certain mod who keeps locking my threads once said it gets locked because people keep reporting it and I've always been of the opinion that if you don't like what someone has to say, ignore it. Someone at RFD agrees and programmed that very function into the forum. Now let them use it.

What's the saying about trolls? IF you ignore them, they will go away.

There's nothing to gain from shutting down a thread for low content. Like UrbanPoet said, it helps keep that corner of the forum active. And like I said, provided everyone remains respectful, there is no need to shut down a thread. It will die off in due course, as it should.

Collectively, the mods need to agree on a standard. You guys tried a political forum and didn't want too much controversy. If OT is such a problem, shut it down, too. Keep business, business. There's a fair bit of OT going on in Hot Deals anyway with people commenting like "Oh I wish I had a time machine" for prices from years past, etc.

Seriously, either have OT or don't have it at all. Draw a line in the sand already.
yup...there is only one on my ignore list...and that person posted on the page 3 and on this page.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15657 posts
439 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
DiceMan wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 10:59 pm
The Omar Khadr thread seems to be a good example of left vs right going around in endless circles. Did we need it? DEFINITE YES. It absolutely deserves to be discussed. But after almost 500 posts and thirty-something pages, all arguments have been heard, all lines have been drawn. I posted twice in the thread and that's it, I've had my say. Is there really anything else to add that will magically change anyone's mind? To me, it just feels like two enemies out of ammo reduced to taking pot shots at each other.
The problem with the Omar Khadr thread is that 3-4 different right-wing posters are repeatedly saying that "if you agree with the SCoC/Charter on Khadr, you are a terrorist supporter".

This is a disgusting and inappropriate point of view. Since all mods are doing is deleting posts of the people saying that, I'm going to start calling out these posters... both here and to the official RFD/Yellow Pages Twitter account.

Then it'll become public knowledge the level of "discourse" that is accepted on this forum.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
rfduser199 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:35 pm
The mods can easily look at my infraction list and see there are no personal attack. They could easily see what you are saying is not true. One infraction of mine was "rudeness towards staff" like 2 years ago and thats when I didnt know too much about the rules. Learned my lesson and moved on.
followed by excessive use laughing emojis.

Emojis are part of the website. I dont spam the thread with it. I read the RFD rules and its not against the rules to use it.
Apr 29, 2012
271 posts
131 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 3:57 pm
The mods can easily look at my infraction list and see there are no personal attack. They could easily see what you are saying is not true. One infraction of mine was "rudeness towards staff" like 2 years ago and thats when I didnt know too much about the rules. Learned my lesson and moved on.

Emojis are part of the website. I dont spam the thread with it. I read the RFD rules and its not against the rules to use it.
No personal attacks? Have you seen yourself on the off topic forums? I do not believe you have read the RFD rules. The attacks and insults you issue are not courteous and are a personal attack on others.
And your use of Emojis was not point of the statement.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
rfduser199 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 6:21 pm
No personal attacks? Have you seen yourself on the off topic forums? I do not believe you have read the RFD rules. The attacks and insults you issue are not courteous and are a personal attack on others.
And your use of Emojis was not point of the statement.
Im pretty sure if im personally attacking people left and right in OT I would have 100 reports by now and the mods would have acted on my posts.

Please stay on topic and stop talking about me. Thanks.
Sep 27, 2003
8157 posts
1547 upvotes
Newmarket
Can we please get the discussion back on topic. Pointing out issues with specific users is not the purpose of this thread.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10853 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Off Topic seems like a very active forum. There are many stagnant forums like Green/Eco-Friendly, Fashion and Apparel, Fitness & Nutrition, etc. Dunno why.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2082 posts
101 upvotes
I would have wanted fashion and apparel to be more hyped. It seems people congregate and lurk more to off-topic for the sake of drama and shizz. I don't have an issue since I'd like more people to actively contribute since it brings more enthusiasm into the community. I just wish other cool sections like fashion would also increase in traffic cause there's lot of sweet stuff out there that I wanna see more.
Sep 27, 2003
8157 posts
1547 upvotes
Newmarket
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:35 pm
I would have wanted fashion and apparel to be more hyped. It seems people congregate and lurk more to off-topic for the sake of drama and shizz. I don't have an issue since I'd like more people to actively contribute since it brings more enthusiasm into the community. I just wish other cool sections like fashion would also increase in traffic cause there's lot of sweet stuff out there that I wanna see more.
Hopefully the admins can come up with a creative way to increase traffic in those areas. For a section that has nothing to do with the existence of RFD, OT sure generates a lot of traffic to the site.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14711 posts
3777 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:35 pm
the problem with fashion and apparel is that the people that post there most often are boring af with no sense of humor (you're entertaining though). I wish the fashion forum could flourish as well but it needs some entertaining posters.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)