Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Decline of Off Topic

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2017 9:39 am
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13922 posts
884 upvotes
Here is an example thread of where a couple of users tried to have a civil conversation but now it has just degenerated into people attacking "SJW"s and leftwing lunatics.

bill-c-16-dont-confuse-persons-gender-g ... #p28002278
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3951 posts
531 upvotes
Aurora
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 9:35 pm
I would have wanted fashion and apparel to be more hyped. It seems people congregate and lurk more to off-topic for the sake of drama and shizz. I don't have an issue since I'd like more people to actively contribute since it brings more enthusiasm into the community. I just wish other cool sections like fashion would also increase in traffic cause there's lot of sweet stuff out there that I wanna see more.
nasa25 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 4:11 pm
the problem with fashion and apparel is that the people that post there most often are boring af with no sense of humor (you're entertaining though). I wish the fashion forum could flourish as well but it needs some entertaining posters.
I think I most enjoy Food and Drink in terms of camaraderie. Only one or two people I don't like there. Though I lurk and post in other forums, too. Not so much in Fashion, though. Since having kids and moving out of the city, my fashion high comes from buying Kirkland jeans at Costco.

Edit: Sorry ,I think I'm going off topic in my own thread. Just thought I'd lighten the mood a little bit!
Penalty Box
Apr 8, 2013
7213 posts
237 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 4:48 pm
Here is an example thread of where a couple of users tried to have a civil conversation but now it has just degenerated into people attacking "SJW"s and leftwing lunatics.

bill-c-16-dont-confuse-persons-gender-g ... #p28002278
Its becoming toxic. Just look at this thread.

politicians-going-down-corruption-2112563/

Some random story about corruption and the usual members turns it into Trudeau/Wynne/Liberal bashing. Some guy will inject his fake news that has nothing to do with the thread and it starts from there.

It looks like youtube comments now.

Its not about the conversation but more of a place to vent their anger.

I dont know. Is this considered "low content" if its just a post?.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2314 posts
149 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 4:11 pm
the problem with fashion and apparel is that the people that post there most often are boring af with no sense of humor (you're entertaining though). I wish the fashion forum could flourish as well but it needs some entertaining posters.
Thx bruv.

Right back at ya Fisted Hand SignSmiling Face With Sunglasses And I agree it needs more entertaining posters
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28258 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 9:01 pm
Its becoming toxic. ......

Some random story about corruption and the usual members turns it into Trudeau/Wynne/Liberal bashing. Some guy will inject his fake news that has nothing to do with the thread and it starts from there.

LOL you are just ticked off at that thread because it P's on the Liberals, Feds and Provincial. LOL
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Sep 27, 2003
8237 posts
1601 upvotes
Newmarket
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:46 am
LOL you are just ticked off at that thread because it P's on the Liberals, Feds and Provincial. LOL
Anyways, back on topic now....
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28258 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:55 pm
Anyways, back on topic now....
Certainly you mean every one on that? Or am I the only one?
Sep 27, 2003
8237 posts
1601 upvotes
Newmarket
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 4:18 pm
Certainly you mean every one on that? Or am I the only one?
I think your post was reported as being off topic by a 3rd party observer, I chose not to action the post, and I am providing a general response to the thread to get back on topic as we are now required to do when we action or not action a reported post.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28258 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 4:43 pm
I think your post was reported as being off topic by a 3rd party observer, I chose not to action the post, and I am providing a general response to the thread to get back on topic as we are now required to do when we action or not action a reported post.
I think I remember a post about "crybabies". :) Sorry for continuing the Off Topic....
Jan 19, 2008
739 posts
238 upvotes
Etobicoke
I think a solution would be to limit the number of post one user can have for one topic. It seems that the OT forum topics sometime degrade to a two person back and forth, with little opportunity for others to get their say in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3951 posts
531 upvotes
Aurora
Well, if we're now posting thread examples, here's one by a chronic troll agenda pusher, incendiary headline and all, stinking up OT. It's obvious this individual is intent on fueling the fire and not having an intelligent discussion on the matter:
Have the US and it's armed forces paid damages to tens of thousands of civilians they've murdered yet?
have-us-its-armed-forces-paid-damages-t ... t-2113022/

Edit: Thanks Mars2012.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13922 posts
884 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 5:39 pm
I think I remember a post about "crybabies". :) Sorry for continuing the Off Topic....
I reported it. Because it was antagonizing, off topic and added nothing to the conversation and actually took away from it. Nothing to do with cry babies, more to do with wanting an adult conversation not a school yard mud slinging fight. Your post is an example of what politics and religion topics end up being here, childish.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Sep 27, 2003
8237 posts
1601 upvotes
Newmarket
Ojam wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:09 am
I reported it. Because it was antagonizing, off topic and added nothing to the conversation and actually took away from it. Nothing to do with cry babies, more to do with wanting an adult conversation not a school yard mud slinging fight. Your post is an example of what politics and religion topics end up being here, childish.
I'd suggest making use of the ignore feature.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13922 posts
884 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:06 am
I'd suggest making use of the ignore feature.
Ignoring a problem doesn't fix it.

If there is going to be political and religious discussion here it should be civil, if it can't be civil then it should be shutdown again or at the very least moved to it's own buried section.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Sep 27, 2003
8237 posts
1601 upvotes
Newmarket
Ojam wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:54 am
Ignoring a problem doesn't fix it.

If there is going to be political and religious discussion here it should be civil, if it can't be civil then it should be shutdown again or at the very least moved to it's own buried section.
I don't think you will see general civility on RFD when it comes to these topics. I also don't think the issue is isolated to RFD. We're entering a new era where more and more people are becoming quite vocal when it comes to their respective beliefs and opinions. Society as a whole is going to need to find new ways to learn to discuss these kinds of topics or people are going to need to learn to ignore it and move on to other discussions with those that wish to have productive and civil conversations.
RFD Forums Moderator

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)