• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2017 9:24 am
Sep 27, 2003
8022 posts
1435 upvotes
Newmarket
@Ojam & @Pete_Coach, I'm not sure what issues you two have going on in the OT section nor am I prepared to review that section of the site right now. Please, whatever is going on, figure out a way to resolve it, ignore each other, or self-moderate yourselves and simply stop participating in those threads. Please do not use this thread as a means of debating your concerns about each other.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3279 posts
411 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:59 am
I don't think you will see general civility on RFD when it comes to these topics. I also don't think the issue is isolated to RFD. We're entering a new era where more and more people are becoming quite vocal when it comes to their respective beliefs and opinions. Society as a whole is going to need to find new ways to learn to discuss these kinds of topics or people are going to need to learn to ignore it and move on to other discussions with those that wish to have productive and civil conversations.
yep ... +1 on that ...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26982 posts
3470 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:45 am
@Ojam & @Pete_Coach, I'm not sure what issues you two have going on in the OT section nor am I prepared to review that section of the site right now. Please, whatever is going on, figure out a way to resolve it, ignore each other, or self-moderate yourselves and simply stop participating in those threads. Please do not use this thread as a means of debating your concerns about each other.
Nothing with him at all. He quoted me.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13773 posts
817 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:45 am
No problem specifically with Pete, just as this threads topic is, the decline of a section of a forum that I've participated in for 14 years.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Sep 27, 2003
8022 posts
1435 upvotes
Newmarket
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:43 am
Nothing with him at all. He quoted me.
Ojam wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:47 am
No problem specifically with Pete, just as this threads topic is, the decline of a section of a forum that I've participated in for 14 years.
I'm glad to hear that both of you have no issues with each other and I look forward to resuming productive conversation about the topic at hand.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3279 posts
411 upvotes
can we give the "low content" threads a bit more chance ? (unless very offensive etc.) ...
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3279 posts
411 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 6:13 pm
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rear-ad ... 2110625/6/

Another example of this type of toxic posts.

#85, #87, #89.

A thread that went a few pages with no issue then suddenly the regular dose of this "muslims are bad" thing gets posted.

sorry kevin ... but I agree with hugh_da_man ... ⬇
... If me using logic to refute your claims is derailing the thread then you constantly calling people Nazis is derailing most threads in off topic. Nowhere in the original story is there reference to these groups or their founders being Nazis ...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6722 posts
199 upvotes
lubmar wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 7:34 am
sorry kevin ... but I agree with hugh_da_man ... ⬇
This is the 2nd time you talked about me in this thread. Please stop it and stay on topic.

If you have issues with my posts(like calling other RFD members nazi's). Report me.

Im sure you will never find a post of mine like that because its not true.
Please do not use this thread as a means of debating your concerns about each other.
Please read what WorldIRC posted. This is the last time ill reply to you in this thread.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3279 posts
411 upvotes
I am on topic kevin ... you gave "bad example" and I am pointing that out ...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9703 posts
3257 upvotes
Guys I hate to break this to you, but we are the forum here. You can blame each other or blame the mods as much as you want, but at the end of the day, we the RFD members are what makes this place what it is. So I suggest you all be kind to one another and provide useful and helpful posts to the forum. It takes all of us to have a positive community here. I have also seen a lot of negativity here and a lot of things I do not like. However overall I have found RFD to be the best moderated forum I have found anywhere online, and in general it is a great forum to post on. I know this is cliche, but be the change you want to see. A lot of the name calling and finger pointing illustrates exactly the "decline of off topic" you guys are talking about. Now it's becoming the "decline of site comments & suggestions". Face Screaming In Fear
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3629 posts
410 upvotes
Aurora
I just had a funny thought and I know it's an absolute joke of an idea. But I wonder what would happen if downvoting was eliminated from every other subforum since most people hate it but ENABLED on Off Topic. Tread at your own risk. Troll at your own risk. Let members decide what's what.

Don't mind me - it's late at night and the wine is talking.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26982 posts
3470 upvotes
Ottawa
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:33 pm
Guys I hate to break this to you, but we are the forum here. You can blame each other or blame the mods as much as you want, but at the end of the day, we the RFD members are what makes this place what it is. So I suggest you all be kind to one another and provide useful and helpful posts to the forum. It takes all of us to have a positive community here. I have also seen a lot of negativity here and a lot of things I do not like. However overall I have found RFD to be the best moderated forum I have found anywhere online, and in general it is a great forum to post on. I know this is cliche, but be the change you want to see. A lot of the name calling and finger pointing illustrates exactly the "decline of off topic" you guys are talking about. Now it's becoming the "decline of site comments & suggestions". Face Screaming In Fear
Just being devils advocate to your comments, which I believe are good, but why does an open forum have to be kind or positive? It is a discussion which can easily turn into an argument, and they often do, in Off Topic or other forums on RFD.
These "arguments" do turn into negativity but that is what an argument (or difference of opinion) can become. What turns it into a different direction is when one poster starts calling the other a liar, or shill or stupid or, a nazi or other personal attack. There can be and at times, should be disagreement, you all know that opinions are like a holes and everyone has one and their right to have one.
The moderators job is to then ensure decorum, by ensuring name calling is not tolerated. Let them argue it out. If you as another poster do not like the direction of the 2 (or more) people engaged, then move on, but to step into an argument to complain or whine or tell the teacher, in real terms, as in a forum, only makes it worse.
Off Topic is Off Topic and will always be a place for disagreements, gentle or vehement.
Oh and can you imagine the down voting tallies that would happen in Off Topic....they would be epic and perhaps blow the servers Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous