None
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3841 posts
77 upvotes
Hamilton

Deed to house VS discharge papers?

:confused:

We just paid off our home & assumed the bank would have the deed to our house..but instead they sent us "discharge papers" :|

IF our lawyer has the deed I have no idea how to get it b/c he is now dead.

i called city hall/land registry office & got a recording.

How can i get the original deed to show proof of ownership? (will i need this when we sell)?

5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1006 posts
4 upvotes
sonic wrote:
Nov 7th, 2008 12:04 pm

We just paid off our home & assumed the bank would have the deed to our house..but instead they sent us "discharge papers" :|

IF our lawyer has the deed I have no idea how to get it b/c he is now dead.

i called city hall/land registry office & got a recording.

How can i get the original deed to show proof of ownership? (will i need this when we sell)?

They don't give deeds out anymore.

From what I remember when I last talked to them is everything is electronic. You can get a printout of the ownership, but it isn't official and isn't a "deed". We got a copy for our records anyways, but everything is electronic now, no need to show proof of ownership as the city will keep track of it for you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3841 posts
77 upvotes
Hamilton
thanks...

where do you get a print out of ownership? If i could talk to a HUMAN at city hall i would ask them... :|
May 6, 2008
416 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
sonic wrote:
Nov 7th, 2008 1:50 pm
thanks...

where do you get a print out of ownership? If i could talk to a HUMAN at city hall i would ask them... :|
You should already have the documentation when you purchased your house. Take a look at the package that was given to you by your lawyer. A Mortgage is nothing more than in interest that the banks have in the property...
Addy Saeed - Real Estate Sales Representative
My Toronto Blog - Need Real Estate Advice? - Each brokerage independently owned and operated. Not Intended to solicit buyers and sellers under agency contracts
Additional Disclosures
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
sonic wrote:
Nov 7th, 2008 1:50 pm
You local city hall would not have it to provide to you in print. Contact the local land titles office where all Ontario property ownership is registered. That is also the place to take your mortgage discharge papers and have the finished mortgage removed from the property title.

Land Registry Offices
http://www.gov.on.ca/ont/portal/!ut/p/. ... L02_165696
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3841 posts
77 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks whitedart!
I will go to that office next week..& hope i can get it all done in one day~~

PS...the lawyer i delt with has passed away & the one that took his place is in jail...lol...yeah...i know..*sheesh*
;)
× < >