• Feb 10th, 2013 6:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5423 posts
788 upvotes

Deep fried lobster

I got a couple of lobsters from Superstore $5.99 a pound. I recall in the recipes/picture thread there have been a couple of posts about deep frying lobsters.

I want to do Lobster with Ginger and Green Onion. I've done that stir fried and it turns out ok, but not quite as good as restaurants. Not quite as crispy. I thought it might be better deep fried.

Any helpful hints to steer me in the right direction to get restaurant quality results?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
5979 posts
606 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 11:47 am
I got a couple of lobsters from Superstore $5.99 a pound. I recall in the recipes/picture thread there have been a couple of posts about deep frying lobsters.

I want to do Lobster with Ginger and Green Onion. I've done that stir fried and it turns out ok, but not quite as good as restaurants. Not quite as crispy. I thought it might be better deep fried.

Any helpful hints to steer me in the right direction to get restaurant quality results?

After deep frying it, you can stir fry that in a little ginger then lots of garlic and butter with chicken stock. You should be able to google this recipe from any site.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
yep, just coat it in any kind of flour you have, deep fry for only a couple of minutes, and toss in a wok.

how i do it is, in the wok, i toss some grated ginger in the hot oil for a bit, to extract to ginger flavour into the oil, i use ghee now, then toss the onion, green onions, and some bell peppers, then the lobster bits into it. dash of fish sauce and cooking wine, toss around for a minute and serve.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5423 posts
788 upvotes
Thanks all. I think a quick deep fry and then toss in the wok will give me the result I'm looking for.

I've got a box of oysters, too. I think they'll also be going in the deep fryer.
May 28, 2012
8937 posts
1527 upvotes
Saskatoon
bonterra wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 2:10 pm
Thanks all. I think a quick deep fry and then toss in the wok will give me the result I'm looking for.

I've got a box of oysters, too. I think they'll also be going in the deep fryer.
I think the quick deepfry is the way to go too...you can get away with not deep-frying only if you have a gas range and can get that instant heat, otherwise, it just steams the food.

My favourite method of preparation for oysters is deep-fried in a light, almost lacy, batter. My parents made it that way growing up, I haven't tried it myself because I'm the only one who would eat them in my house.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15927 posts
2492 upvotes
Toronto
we need to see your finished product ... lot of pics, please !
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2493 posts
210 upvotes
What happens when you deepfry lobster shell? Does the shell become easier to crack?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5423 posts
788 upvotes
0xffff wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 11:56 am
What happens when you deepfry lobster shell? Does the shell become easier to crack?
I didn't really notice much difference in the shell, but the result of a quick deep fry and then finish/flavouring in the wok was really, really good. The lobster was really nice and moist and buttery from the oil. Next time I think I'd like to add some ghee to the oil, as Ippon mentioned he uses.

I did use a very, very light batter on the oysters. Only thing was they were the tiniest oysters I've ever seen. Didn't quite get enough, I may get another box today.

I don't think I'm ever steaming/boiling lobster again. Deep frying gives a much better, luscious result. Thanks to all for the input.

And my kitchen was so hectic that it didn't even occur to me to take pictures. I wish I had thought of it.

Oh, and the recipe I decided on, from Jasper White's Lobster At Home cookbook, called for the roe and tomalley to be whisked into the soy, wine, chicken stock mixture. It worked really well to give some more added flavour.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
0xffff wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 11:56 am
well, everything is chopped and cut up, so there shouldn't be any cracking involved at all during the eating phase.
bonterra wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 12:31 pm
I didn't really notice much difference in the shell, but the result of a quick deep fry and then finish/flavouring in the wok was really, really good. The lobster was really nice and moist and buttery from the oil. Next time I think I'd like to add some ghee to the oil, as Ippon mentioned he uses.

I did use a very, very light batter on the oysters. Only thing was they were the tiniest oysters I've ever seen. Didn't quite get enough, I may get another box today.

I don't think I'm ever steaming/boiling lobster again. Deep frying gives a much better, luscious result. Thanks to all for the input.

And my kitchen was so hectic that it didn't even occur to me to take pictures. I wish I had thought of it.

Oh, and the recipe I decided on, from Jasper White's Lobster At Home cookbook, called for the roe and tomalley to be whisked into the soy, wine, chicken stock mixture. It worked really well to give some more added flavour.
i only use ghee during stir-frying, btw. deep fry in veg oil, and add to wok with ghee to toss. don't need much ghee at all, since the lobster is already bringing some oil from being deep fried.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15478 posts
3358 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 12:31 pm
I don't think I'm ever steaming/boiling lobster again.
I learned this LONG ago.
Water = solvent = washing away flavors
Steaming isn't horrible, but baking is the way to go.

Deep frying works obviously too if you do it right which it sounds like you nailed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 5:09 pm
I learned this LONG ago.
Water = solvent = washing away flavors
Steaming isn't horrible, but baking is the way to go.

Deep frying works obviously too if you do it right which it sounds like you nailed.
ya, i don't boil anything, unless i plan to consume the broth. never understood why people have 'seafood boils', unless boiling was for dual duty cook/washing really dirty seafood.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15478 posts
3358 upvotes
Vegetables are the worst for that.

The only thing I can think of that I boil is pasta.
Even stock is kept at a bare simmer.
× < >