None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa

Deer Antlers?!

I got my dog some deer antlers for the first time as I saw them at Global a couple weeks ago. It's a bit pricey for two small pieces for $13 (smallest size) but I gotta say it's well worth it's money! My dog is a heavy chewer and he's just 3/4 done his first antler! That's him chewing at it constantly for the past two weeks when he has time. He goes through his black Kong, dura chew nylabones, bullwrinkles/bully sticks in a matter of a couple hours at the most. None of those are cheap either so I would say my experience with the deer antler have been very positive. I've read online they are healthy and great treats for dogs to just gnaw at. Anybody else got personal experiences with deer antlers? Good or bad.
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4052 posts
143 upvotes
I've read good things about them on dog forums but I've never tried giving them to my own dog. Although he is a tough chewer he has less interest in harder chews and the antlers are quick hard. He likes bully sticks and beef neck bones so I'd be interested to see how he does with antlers.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
You dog goes thru a nylabone in a few hrs? :confused:
Wow. My 70lb malamute has some that are maybe half gone, that have been kicking around for years. Although 90% of the wear and tear occurs on Day 1. ;)
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
amz155 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2010 3:55 pm
I've read good things about them on dog forums but I've never tried giving them to my own dog. Although he is a tough chewer he has less interest in harder chews and the antlers are quick hard. He likes bully sticks and beef neck bones so I'd be interested to see how he does with antlers.
Yes, I do agree that the antlers are super hard! I was so worried at first that it'll break my dog's teeth or something but he's been doing fine on it. Best thing is that it's pretty much odourless, well it has a very very faint smell to it unlike bully sticks which has a stronger smell (or stinky smell to me).
stealth wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2010 4:28 pm
You dog goes thru a nylabone in a few hrs? :confused:
Wow. My 70lb malamute has some that are maybe half gone, that have been kicking around for years. Although 90% of the wear and tear occurs on Day 1. ;)
'sigh' yes my 9lb dog has figured out how to rip a durachew nylabone apart by where they glue the two pieces together to form the bone shape. He destroyed the black kong in 30 minutes as he learned how to decapitated it fast :cry: I think my problem is when my dog gets a tough/hard chew toy he just sits there and chew at it till it's destroyed while other dogs I know lose interest after a while.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2684 posts
398 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I had asked in Global a while back and they didn't carry the antlers at the time. I ordered them from an online source but wasn't too happy with what I got... they weren't round as I expected. They were two halves of a larger antler, cut lengthways. The inside is a honeycomb of material that my two dogs quickly gnawed away at..I *think* this is the interest..trying to get to that inside core which, in my case, was soon gone.
I will check out Global next time I'm there and see if I can find a better shape/size.
I did a lot of reading on them as well and found only good reviews on them.
Jul 4, 2009
827 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga area
I started giving my 9.5 lb maltese/yorkie a month ago.
She absolutely loves them.
I bought mine off ebay.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
drpiluso wrote:
Nov 27th, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks for the site but it's a bit too shady for my taste. The site don't even have a proper contact for the so called "store" or an "about us" that tells you who on earth are you buying these from. I can't just take their word for it as the homepage gives me an error too. Overall, I wouldn't buy from this site as it's not secure enough for me nor does it tell me shipping fees before I give them my info which I don't want to since it isn't secure to me! I don't find the deer antlers that cheap either as I found a Pet Value that sells a pack of 2 that fits into a kong perfectly for just $11 ($2 cheaper than Global Pet Foods for the exact same thing). So in comparison to the deer antlers I'm paying $5.50/antler locally vs $4/antler at this online store that don't include shipping fees. These are all before taxes as it may vary depending on which province you live in. I rather pay the $1.50/antler premium and buy local.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
1506 posts
68 upvotes
any tips on getting your dog to chew on it? My pup is a heavy chewer and he goes through one 6 inch bully stick in 2 hours. I bought him an antler last week and he doesn't seem too interested in it. I tried wetting it with water, but he would gnaw on it for a few seconds then give up.
A great salesman sells to himself - Confucius, no, I mean xvizardx LINK
xvizardx wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 4:22 am
...A sales person named John (who is a great sales person by the way)...I could not resist the price, so I bought it in a heart beat...
xvizardx wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 4:22 am
Hello everyone! I am an employee of Sony Canada...I will be at the Sony Store in Square One...look for John...
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lioncar wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2010 9:47 am
any tips on getting your dog to chew on it? My pup is a heavy chewer and he goes through one 6 inch bully stick in 2 hours. I bought him an antler last week and he doesn't seem too interested in it. I tried wetting it with water, but he would gnaw on it for a few seconds then give up.

put some peanut butter on it.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3421 posts
86 upvotes
Halton
Being a hunter I have loads of them. The ones that I dont want I have always given to my dogs. They love 'em!

Also they are a BIG fan of pig ears. Our female Doberman cries when ever she gets one because she is so happy. Its cute.
Enjoy Life
× < >