Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
4418 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

Degreed And Jobless, College Graduate Turns To Stripping

news report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinN9gTV ... r_embedded

After graduating from the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, Carrianne Howard hoped to find a job in the video game industry.

She did -- kind of. For $12 an hour, she worked as a recruiter for video game companies. And then her position was eliminated. So now, she's working as a stripper.
35 replies
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
251 posts
got_it_4_cheap wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 12:31 am
news report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinN9gTV ... r_embedded

After graduating from the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, Carrianne Howard hoped to find a job in the video game industry.

She did -- kind of. For $12 an hour, she worked as a recruiter for video game companies. And then her position was eliminated. So now, she's working as a stripper.
really has less to do with a degree, or stripping and more to do with for-profit degree's and the dishonesty they present to its recipients.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
A decent looking female being turned away from the video game industry? You really have to tank for that to happen...
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
125 upvotes
vanskelig wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 12:54 am
really has less to do with a degree, or stripping and more to do with for-profit degree's and the dishonesty they present to its recipients.
I'm tired of this for profit university bashing.
1. There are plenty of public and private university grads with sh-t jobs
2. Many are unemployed on average as many as 15% from my program go unemployed and another 50% are underemployed working jobs they are over qualified for or do not want to be in
3. colleges are not mean to prepare people for work, the professors only care about their research and lecturing is like a side job to them
4. It is the career centres who find jobs and $12 an hour is not great but there are plenty of grads from top schools earning that kind of money in canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1805 posts
16 upvotes
This woman must be ********... She graduated with a art degree from the "Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale" and is shocked, SHOCKED to find that she cant get a job doing art.

Solution is simple, these worthless degrees should be listed under a separate heading of "For fun only" so these idiots won't be blindsided by finding out they can't actually do anything with them.
Jesus Saves, GOD Backs-Up

Packin HEAT
Mar 9, 2010
920 posts
83 upvotes
I personally think the govt aren't ready with the change in employment through out the decades.

Gov't need to lay grounds on more infrastructure to regulate employment policy.

Of course, you have some master taking a high school requirement job, then leave after 3 month. Guess what, because of that the firm that hire these MA will now spent another extra 2 month just to find a proper personal for the position. I am saying without facts but this is very well known case. If my example present what the world is now then you can imagine for every 9 month work, the firm lost 6 months in search cost.

Not to mention training cost. The whole reason lies in because potential employee can omit/lie about their education/experiences while employer only looking to fill base on willingness and with little to no information available to them.

While these "business" colleges out there trying to trick you into study something quick and kick you out there. It really say little in your resume what they do as employer have no information about them.

That is why gov't regulation is require because our employment needs had changed from last decade. Especially with all these mix of eduction and experience going on.

On the topic: Stripper is base on your age, she can work on it for next 4-5 years but when she turns 35+, she will be kick out of the stripper business. I think she is an idiot trying to join gaming industry on the other hand.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Wow I'm actually more shocked she only makes $400-$1000/week!
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
580 posts
35 upvotes
Most of these private "colleges" should be shut down and banned. Atleast until proper oversight/regulations/standards can be established.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2009
1473 posts
190 upvotes
kabza wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 12:57 pm
Most of these private "colleges" should be shut down and banned. Atleast until proper oversight/regulations/standards can be established.

Problem lies with companies.
Time to regulate profits vs. employee salary.

If the company can record xM profit, a huge portion of that should be deferred back to employees in the form of bonuses.

Oh, but shareholders don't agree with real profit sharing, only the type of profit sharing where employees receive pennies on the dollar of what the collective rake is.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4739 posts
949 upvotes
tylaw83 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 1:24 am
A decent looking female being turned away from the video game industry? You really have to tank for that to happen...
+1. Gamers dig hot chicks. She clearly didn't look hard enough if she wanted a career in gaming industry.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
citizen22 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 1:25 pm
Problem lies with companies.
Time to regulate profits vs. employee salary.

If the company can record xM profit, a huge portion of that should be deferred back to employees in the form of bonuses.

Oh, but shareholders don't agree with real profit sharing, only the type of profit sharing where employees receive pennies on the dollar of what the collective rake is.
And why should we listen to anything you have to say about careers or business? What work experience do you have to make this claim, or any other that you've made about the work world?
Jul 22, 2010
51 posts
Vancouver
kabza wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 12:57 pm
Why?

People know it's of lower quality compared to the more established schools. Are you telling me someone would rather go there than Harvard? Obviously if they had better choices then they wouldn't have gone to for-profit schools.

Also, the for-profit high schools in the US are some of the best in the country. A lot of them are feeder schools for the Ivy Leagues. Eventually, competition will force the for-profit colleges to increase their teaching standards.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1049 posts
46 upvotes
thezone wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 11:27 am
Wow I'm actually more shocked she only makes $400-$1000/week!
Seriously, ive heard of strippers making from $2000-$5000/night.
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
251 posts
I know you were trying to make a point but I seem to have missed it. Could you try again?

jungeon wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 1:39 am
I'm tired of this for profit university bashing.
1. There are plenty of public and private university grads with sh-t jobs
2. Many are unemployed on average as many as 15% from my program go unemployed and another 50% are underemployed working jobs they are over qualified for or do not want to be in
3. colleges are not mean to prepare people for work, the professors only care about their research and lecturing is like a side job to them
4. It is the career centres who find jobs and $12 an hour is not great but there are plenty of grads from top schools earning that kind of money in canada.
May 31, 2010
28 posts
toronto
virgilaug wrote:
Aug 7th, 2010 2:58 pm
Seriously, ive heard of strippers making from $2000-$5000/night.
lmao.. seems to be that hot girls dont really have a problem of making it in tbe stripper industry..

ive seen many strippers driving sports cars..