• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2019 6:59 am
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
579 posts
144 upvotes

Delete

Delete
Last edited by stansoltz on Oct 14th, 2019 8:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Share:
31 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24918 posts
9737 upvotes
Toronto
If your net is overhanging onto the roadway, Canada Post can use this as argument of not taking any responsibility at all. In fact, they can do the opposite and send a claim to you for damaging their truck.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11492 posts
6313 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Canada Post can come to you for damages to their truck because your property is on City's property.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12005 posts
11782 upvotes
Oakville
stansoltz wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 12:27 pm
This canada post driver came flying down the street, and must have been just inches from the curb, and hit my BBall net... it fell and the rim is bent and the backboard scratched. What do u think I should do - ask the driver to pay out of pocket? or report to Canada Post (insurance?) I have the name and truck # and video evidence. Only issue I see is that the net is on the lawn, right next to curb... so technically on city property... and the rim would hang about 8 inches into the road.

Clipboard02.jpg
Sounds like your net was illegally placed and hit a car driving down the road. You're lucky he's not coming after you for damages.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2765 posts
4469 upvotes
Laval
I know someone who got a $7000 bill from a delivery companies insurance because the basketball net over hang on to the road and damaged the side if the truck, and got a fine also from the cities by-law dept in the mail also.
remember to give credit to the O.P if your going to repost it on reddit > bapcsalescanada
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4419 posts
1086 upvotes
Toronto
Quietly walk away OP.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17693 posts
2904 upvotes
Toronto
You're lucky it was a Canada Post van and not a fire truck. Count your blessings that Canada Post hasn't come after you and don't let your net stick out into the road again.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11492 posts
6313 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Who knows..........time will tell.
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 2:51 pm
You're lucky it was a Canada Post van and not a fire truck. Count your blessings that Canada Post hasn't come after you and don't let your net stick out into the road again.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2007 posts
1009 upvotes
Mississauga
Ha ha ha. Rofl.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9104 posts
5399 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I was coming in to blame OP but see everyone else beat me to it. Face With Tears Of Joy
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42502 posts
3130 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Although the placement is less than ideal, I don't buy that there are any legal grounds for Canada Post or the truck driver to claim any damages.

If a car was illegally parked and you drive into it, can you claim the other car's insurance for damages? Can a car that hit the garbage bin on the curb or on the street claim damages from its owner? The answer is no.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Feb 25, 2004
566 posts
146 upvotes
Longueuil
Jon Lai wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 6:59 pm
Although the placement is less than ideal, I don't buy that there are any legal grounds for Canada Post or the truck driver to claim any damages.

If a car was illegally parked and you drive into it, can you claim the other car's insurance for damages? Can a car that hit the garbage bin on the curb or on the street claim damages from its owner? The answer is no.
That was also my first thought. I don't know if the net placement respects bylaws but if a car is parked on the side of the street, you can't simply ram into it and then claim damages? Was the driver really looking at the street while driving? If he didn't see a big net, what if it was a child by the side of the street?
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2798 posts
1576 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
The net was situated on City property.
It was damaged, and damaged a vehicle in the process.Thankfully no one was injured.
File it in the, "That was a bad idea" life experience category.
Don't seek recompense. You will be sad with the outcome.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1901 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
...I'd be nervously waiting for the bill from Canada Post. They do that - I work with telecom companies who regularly bill other companies for damaging their network facilities etc. CP will have a similar process for damage to their fleet and infrastructure (mailboxes etc).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6905 posts
3140 upvotes
Paris
JEDI Force wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 7:45 pm
That was also my first thought. I don't know if the net placement respects bylaws but if a car is parked on the side of the street, you can't simply ram into it and then claim damages? Was the driver really looking at the street while driving? If he didn't see a big net, what if it was a child by the side of the street?
What if it was a parade of elephants? But it wasn’t... It was a basketball net left on city property overhanging the road.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/