Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5634 posts
5603 upvotes
Vancouver

Deliveries left on doorstep

Continuing this discussion from another thread.

• On December 30th I got an email notice from Canada Post that a package was "delivered." I came home on January 1st to find no package. Obviously it was stolen. Made a Canada Post claim and the sender mailed me another one, this time by Purolator.
  • Purolator delivered the replacement package today. It too was left on my doorstep. There was no knock or anything, I just found the package there when I went outside. Stuff gets stolen in this neighbourhood, this would certainly have been stolen too if it had been left much longer.
  • I've even had gift card orders left on the doorstep, despite me having a secure mail slot in my front door that they would have easily fit through.

This is getting to be a big problem. When I worked as a courier years ago if the recipient was not there, we had to get recipient permission over the phone even to drop them through a secure mail slot. No permission, no slotting. Leaving deliveries in an unsecured mailbox or at the doorstep was unthinkable. What has happened to make this so prevalent? Has anyone made a "Do NOT leave deliveries at doorstep. They WILL be stolen" sign and has it worked?
Last edited by Kiraly on Jan 10th, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
60 replies
Dec 29, 2012
830 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
UPS did that to me today, after requesting online and many phone calls to tell them when I would be at home. Found packages outside door today ...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2100 posts
781 upvotes
Quebec
People are always gonna bitch

Company left package on doorstep. People will say. BUT IT MIGHT GET STOLEN
Company leave a note asking you to go pick it up, then people will bitch they have to move to get their package that they order to get at your house

Damn if you do damn if you don't
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5634 posts
5603 upvotes
Vancouver
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:02 pm
What you need is to install at least two cameras recording 24/7. Make sure the camera are very visible from the street. One cam pointing at your front door and another cam pointing at the front of your house. A video is worth a thousands words.
Yeah right. Those cameras would be stolen a lot faster than any package.
ratatapa wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:56 pm
Company leave a note asking you to go pick it up, then people will bitch they have to move to get their package that they order to get at your house
I have never heard of anyone complaining of having to go pick up a package because they were not home when an attempted delivery was made.
Aug 21, 2010
193 posts
60 upvotes
toronto
used to have same problem
now i dont do the online thing...just go to the store and buy
problem solved
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1439 posts
678 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:02 pm
What you need is to install at least two cameras recording 24/7. Make sure the camera are very visible from the street. One cam pointing at your front door and another cam pointing at the front of your house. A video is worth a thousands words.

Before the cams I did leave a note on a 8" X 11" sheet right on the front door and it made no difference.
I doubt the police will do anything even with evidence unless you can identify the thieve.

Unless the shipper choose "adult signature required" which is tpyically an extra $5 fee when creating the shipment, your packages will be left at the door.

For example, amazon do not, while koodo does and you get pick u slips when no one is home to receive it.
Nov 1, 2015
38 posts
47 upvotes
London, ON
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:13 pm

Yeah right. Those cameras would be stolen a lot faster than any package.

I have never heard of anyone complaining of having to go pick up a package because they were not home when an attempted delivery was made.
I complain every time Canada Post or a courier fails to safe drop and instead forces me to go pick up a package that I paid to have delivered to my home.

Sorry about your package. You'll get it eventually or get your money.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
2299 posts
2078 upvotes
ratatapa wrote:

How about they don't leave packages if they're supposed to be handed over to a person at the location and require a signature. Then they won't be "damned". It's really not that hard to grasp.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9950 posts
7234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I was one who USED TO COMPLAIN if a pkg was not dropped
And I just came home to those cards that say
“Delivery Attempt Made ... No one home ... Parcel available for pick up at Depot”

Especially so if the Pick Up Depot was Miles away from my house
(Ya YOU Purolator)

Now most of my pkgs that come Canada Post fit in my Super Mailbox
And those that don’t get sent to the Satellite Postal Station
(Aka Shoppers Drugmart Mart ... which is waaay more convenient than going to the Area Post Office with its limited hours like I had to in the past)

Or I opt for Flex Delivery... and the parcel goes to wherever is MOST CONVENIENT FOR ME TO PICK UP

It’s the Courier Companies that I have more issues with
But, eliminating Purolator from my list has made things a lot easier

Both FedEx & UPS have Satellite Depots that are a lot easier to utilize in that they are within a short drive of my house
(They both use local stores for their drops)

Purolator... they still use their so-called SECURE Regional Facility vs a Satellite Depot
And it’s still miles from me
I have often thought the reason they call it SECURE is because it’s often locked... due to its short hours
Definitely stuck in the Stone Age
May as well go back to the days when the Post Office was only open until 4 PM
And Saturday Mornings.

Honestly these days, I am all about NOT DROPPING and just my making arrangements to PICK UP
Far more secure
My tune changed as people have become so much more brazen about stealing stuff from peoples yards

If it was just Satellite Depots for Pkgs ... these Courier Companies & Posties could get a lot more accomplished in a day too
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4240 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Simple solution to these problems is to invest in a mailbox. Something like this:

Imagine in this age, we find ourselves going back to what our parents used for the problems we faced today.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2100 posts
781 upvotes
Quebec
bombdiggity wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:38 pm
How about they don't leave packages if they're supposed to be handed over to a person at the location and require a signature. Then they won't be "damned". It's really not that hard to grasp.
Peop’e Can’t be home 100% of time and they don’t have to work 24/7
Dec 24, 2011
641 posts
216 upvotes
The volume of people placing orders and items being delivered is exponentially increasing for online shopping - 2016 there was ~$800 million in sales, in 2018 there was $1.3 billion in sales.

Post workers simply don't have time to write a note for each package that isn't delivered anymore. If it's a valuable item, deliver it to the post office. Not that hard of a concept when you realize the service has changed.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
2299 posts
2078 upvotes
ratatapa wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:22 am
Peop’e Can’t be home 100% of time and they don’t have to work 24/7
Not sure what point you're making here? If they're not home and the package isn't supposed to be safe dropped, don't safe drop it. People complain when they do, which is justified. The only times I hear about people complaining if packages are taken to a pick up location are when somebody is home to receive the package and no attempt is made to deliver it by knocking, ringing, etc. This is also justified and the courier's fault because again, this is not what they're supposed to do.

If anybody complains about them doing their job, such as not leaving the package when delivery is attempted and nobody is home, then that is different, but your "dammed if they don't, damned if they do" is not fairly representative of the actual issue here.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
2299 posts
2078 upvotes
cstriker045 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 5:01 am
The volume of people placing orders and items being delivered is exponentially increasing for online shopping - 2016 there was ~$800 million in sales, in 2018 there was $1.3 billion in sales.

Post workers simply don't have time to write a note for each package that isn't delivered anymore. If it's a valuable item, deliver it to the post office. Not that hard of a concept when you realize the service has changed.
This is nonsense. It takes seconds and most have cards readied before hand to leave if needed. They're just lazy and don't want to carry it and bring the package back to the truck.

Even if there's a reason now why they can't, then remove it as part of the service they are selling. Simple.

Also, many senders (ie most retailers) refuse to ship to P.O. boxes.
Last edited by bombdiggity on Jan 12th, 2019 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28842 posts
14651 upvotes
Ottawa
ratatapa wrote:

Ring the F'ing doorbell at least!
Lots of homes nowadays are equipped with two-way camera or doorbell and can quickly instruct the courier to leave the contents in the garage, which can be remotely opened and closed.