• Mar 26th, 2019 12:38 pm
Tags:
Dec 18, 2017
519 posts
217 upvotes
London, On
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:48 pm
I'm sure that the courier companies have actuaries that have determined that payouts for stolen-from-doorstep stuff are still lower than the expenditures required to collect signatures/return-to-depot. But the more stuff people buy online, and the more couriers leave stuff at the doorstep, the more thieves will know that doorsteps are easy pickings, and thefts will increase. Maybe eventually the cost of claims payouts is going to surpass the leave-at-doorstep savings and they'll stop leaving stuff at the doorstep.
Courier company is only responsible if the driver leaves it when the driver shouldn't have left it, which would be a very small number compared to the number of packages left because the shipper instructed the courier company to leave it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5634 posts
5603 upvotes
Vancouver
djeffery wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 3:38 pm
Courier company is only responsible if the driver leaves it when the driver shouldn't have left it, which would be a very small number compared to the number of packages left because the shipper instructed the courier company to leave it.
Do shippers instruct courier companies to leave stuff on doorsteps? Why would they? What advantage does that give the shipper?
Dec 18, 2017
519 posts
217 upvotes
London, On
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:26 pm
Do shippers instruct courier companies to leave stuff on doorsteps? Why would they? What advantage does that give the shipper?
They get the cheapest rate this way because the driver can do more work rather than taking time to ring a door bell and wait, fill out door tags when no one is home, and then take the package back to the depot where another person now has to spend time dealing with making arrangements with the receiver to get their package. When companies like Amazon don't charge for shipping, they have to find the cheapest way possible to send the stuff and the delivery companies offer them the cheapest rates by making it up in volume of work done by their workers. If a driver can do 12 or 13 deliveries in an hour where they have to wait for someone at the door, and either get a signature or worse, have to leave a tag, they will get 16 or 17 done by not needing to wait for an answer at the door. That's how UPS, Purolator etc make their money on cheap freight like Amazon
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5634 posts
5603 upvotes
Vancouver
djeffery wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:21 pm
They get the cheapest rate this way because the driver can do more work rather than taking time to ring a door bell and wait, fill out door tags when no one is home, and then take the package back to the depot where another person now has to spend time dealing with making arrangements with the receiver to get their package.
This will no longer be the cheapest method for the shipper and/or courier if thefts from doorsteps increase enough.
Dec 18, 2017
519 posts
217 upvotes
London, On
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:30 pm
This will no longer be the cheapest method for the shipper and/or courier if thefts from doorsteps increase enough.
At some point I'm sure Amazon et al will reach the tipping point and say they aren't giving free shipping anymore, or raise the prices on items enough to pay for signature service. Or come up with other ideas. They already put forward the remote door lock thing, but I don't think people are too into that. They also have the lock box idea, something courier companies have been doing for decades already in the more simpler "you have a key, we have a key" model, not the higher tech method they talk about now. There is a cost to that though, and I'm sure someone would have to attain a certain level of business before Amazon would supply one of those for free. Someone else brought up the neighbourhood pick up point. I just don't see people willing to do that in any great numbers. You order off Amazon because you don't want to go to a store to buy something. For the most part, the prices aren't that much better than the store has it for, you just don't have to worry about going to get it. Now if you have to go to some store to get your shipment, I think many people will just say screw it, I'm going to Walmart or wherever, and just have it and not worry about waiting for it to be delivered to Mac's or Shoppers.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4524 posts
1401 upvotes
Debtario
The videos of "Porch Pirates" are scary, some thieves will follow delivery trucks and snatch packages soon after delivery regardless if you are home or not. There was a video on Global News (TO) of a delivery left between doors (enclosed porch), not visible from the street, yet a thief comes to swipe it soon afterwards.
djeffery wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:21 pm
They get the cheapest rate this way because the driver can do more work rather than taking time to ring a door bell and wait, fill out door tags when no one is home, and then take the package back to the depot where another person now has to spend time dealing with making arrangements with the receiver to get their package. When companies like Amazon don't charge for shipping, they have to find the cheapest way possible to send the stuff and the delivery companies offer them the cheapest rates by making it up in volume of work done by their workers. If a driver can do 12 or 13 deliveries in an hour where they have to wait for someone at the door, and either get a signature or worse, have to leave a tag, they will get 16 or 17 done by not needing to wait for an answer at the door. That's how UPS, Purolator etc make their money on cheap freight like Amazon
Yeah, the volume they push is amazing. If you have packages taking up space in the truck that need to return to the depot that's more work to load/unload and less deliveries. Stopping and waiting for a signature may not be worth the drivers time so you get the classic "delivery attempted" with the truck zooming by your house. Theft at the doorstep is between the seller and buyer, the courier is concerned with maximizing deliveries so as long as they get the package there they've done their part contractually.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24032 posts
9547 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:13 pm

Yeah right. Those cameras would be stolen a lot faster than any package.
That'd be pretty stupid of the thief. You'd have them on video stealing your camera.
Not that it'd help at all. See next point.

I have never heard of anyone complaining of having to go pick up a package because they were not home when an attempted delivery was made.
There's people complaining in this very thread.
Depots are usually far away without easily accessible transit. For me to pick up a package, it's about a 90 minute round trip with traffic driving. By transit it'd be closer to 3 hours.
eclone wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:34 pm
I doubt the police will do anything even with evidence unless you can identify the thieve.
I doubt the police would do anything even if you could identify the thief.
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:22 am
Live in a condo, problem solved
Only if you have a concierge. Otherwise it's pickup slips galore.

Or deliver it to work
This is the best option.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
2299 posts
2078 upvotes
I'm still waiting for anybody who has an issue with laziness as an explanation offer an alternative.
After about a minute, the worker emerges from the vehicle with a delivery slip in hand, but no package.

Surveillance footage shows the worker making his way up to the home, where he immediately leaves the delivery slip on the doorknob, without even attempting to see if the resident was home.

As the worker gets back inside the vehicle, you can hear a woman call out “hello” and adding “you didn’t even knock on the door.”

The worker then returns with the package, and offers the woman an apology, saying, “sorry about that, usually there’s nobody home.”
Sounds exactly like what I outlined in a previous post.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12594 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Fedex left my Cuisinart food processor outside my door, which is like 10 ft from the sidewalk, in a high traffic and high crime area. No doorbell ring, no knocking. I had a sign on my door stating "I'm home!" Geez, thank goodness I heard the Fedex truck leaving.
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5634 posts
5603 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 2:17 pm
Fedex left my Cuisinart food processor outside my door, which is like 10 ft from the sidewalk, in a high traffic and high crime area. No doorbell ring, no knocking. I had a sign on my door stating "I'm home!" Geez, thank goodness I heard the Fedex truck leaving.
Drivers have deliveries to make. Cutting corners is how to make money. Drivers don't care if anything gets stolen, they won't be personally liable. Somebody else's problem. When I order stuff online I'm going to start putting "All deliveries left on doorstep will be stolen and a loss claim will be made" in the instructions. We'll see if that cuts down on the drop-n-dash.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24032 posts
9547 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 2:29 pm
When I order stuff online I'm going to start putting "All deliveries left on doorstep will be stolen and a loss claim will be made" in the instructions. We'll see if that cuts down on the drop-n-dash.
That's assuming the driver is even going to read that while he's leaving it on your doorstep.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5634 posts
5603 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 4:16 pm
That's assuming the driver is even going to read that while he's leaving it on your doorstep.
It's not meant for the driver, it's meant for the merchant. They might pay an extra few bucks for signature-on-delivery to avoid having to ship out another item at their own expense.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3035 posts
1807 upvotes
GTA
Check online tracking and stay home the day of the delivery. If you can't afford taking one day off, you should not be doing any online shopping anyway.