Home & Garden

Are delivery drivers supposed to bring packages inside?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 5:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2812 posts
415 upvotes

Are delivery drivers supposed to bring packages inside?

As we all get packages delivered to our doors, are they supposed to bring the packages inside the house, if asked? Talking about CP, UPS etc.

If i pay for delivery of a sofa they bring it inside the house, should that not be the case for regular packages?

I never really cared or gave it much thought before and picked it up from the porch, but today i had a rather large delivery which was impossible to lift on my own and they just left it on the steps outside.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7760 posts
4544 upvotes
Edmonton
I would go with no. Unless it’s explicit in the delivery, it would be “to the door”.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4928 posts
2744 upvotes
I’ve never ever had a UPS driver step beyond my front door.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3099 posts
1356 upvotes
Paid to have it delivered to your address ... not your bedroom or wherever.
Aug 21, 2010
89 posts
35 upvotes
toronto
totally agree...
pootza wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:08 pm
Paid to have it delivered to your address ... not your bedroom or wherever.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15269 posts
5530 upvotes
Truth be told you likely do not pay for it to be delivered to your door. I would suspect there is language in the contract as such.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11124 posts
2588 upvotes
GTA
I work for CP and we're technically not allowed into anyone's home.

I've carried bigger packages into the entry hallway but that depends on the customer. I'm not gonna drop a 30lb box on the doorstep if a mom with a newborn in her hands is in front of me. I will ask something like "would you like me to place it inside the door for you?", can't remember anyone ever refusing.

But if someone wants me to put stuff on the kitchen table or whatever, it's not happening.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1732 posts
747 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Amazon is starting to offer this service, it's called Amazon Key. You buy the smartlock for your door and amazon's delivery people will be able to place the packages inside your house for you when you're not home.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5238 posts
5271 upvotes
Toronto
JonSnow wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:36 pm
If i pay for delivery of a sofa they bring it inside the house, should that not be the case for regular packages?
Not sure if serious -- but just so you know, with furniture and appliance delivery usually it only includes delivery to the kerb by default, and it is extra charges/insurance for set-in-place (inside of house) delivery.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5224 posts
2118 upvotes
Paris
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:48 pm
Makes 100% sense. I’m sure CP would just be 100% lawsuits over “the postal worker ruined my floor/carpet/life. I’m suing for $250,000!

I’m sure there is enough crap with driveways and bushes etc.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2812 posts
415 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:

I've carried bigger packages into the entry hallway but that depends on the customer. I'm not gonna drop a 30lb box on the doorstep if a mom with a newborn in her hands is in front of me. I will ask something like "would you like me to place it inside the door for you?", can't remember anyone ever refusing.

But if someone wants me to put stuff on the kitchen table or whatever, it's not happening.
Fair enough and makes perfect sense. While I'm no mom with a new born there was no way 1 person could bring yesterday's package inside, would have been nice if the driver helped bring it in but since it isn't part of there job, was just curious.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2404 posts
345 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Hugh Jass wrote:

Out of curiosity are there any rules about walking across people's property? Our mail woman takes the same line across our lawn every day instead of our walkway and it drives me nuts. I hate it but probably won't ever do anything about it but since you work for CP I was just curious about it.
Nov 9, 2011
516 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
ChicoQuente wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:28 am
Out of curiosity are there any rules about walking across people's property? Our mail woman takes the same line across our lawn every day instead of our walkway and it drives me nuts. I hate it but probably won't ever do anything about it but since you work for CP I was just curious about it.
Walking across your lawn to deliver you the mail is probably the shortest path. One would think they are just trying to be more efficient with their time. I don't see how that could drive you nuts? Is s/he damaging your lawn or something? You don't step on your grass when you mow it?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2168 posts
175 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:28 am
tonershop wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:52 am
Walking across your lawn to deliver you the mail is probably the shortest path. One would think they are just trying to be more efficient with their time. I don't see how that could drive you nuts? Is s/he damaging your lawn or something? You don't step on your grass when you mow it?
be happy you still have mail delivery to your door, we have those community mailboxes, sometimes I forget to go pickup mail for like weeks
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2404 posts
345 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
tonershop wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:52 am
Of course it is the shortest path but we (along with many other people) have a walkway for a reason. It is the intended path for visitors to come and go to home. Personally I never walk on anyone's lawn if I go to their home as I feel it is the proper respectful thing to do. And yes I do feel it is going to lead to damage taking the same path every single day across my lawn, no other spot sees that kind of repeated daily use. I don't feel I am alone in this regard as I know multiple other people in my life that do not like it at their home either. Regardless as I said initially I don't have any intentions of trying to do anything or cause any troubles I was simply curious as to whether or not walking on people's lawns was discouraged or not.
rogerrabbit168 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:57 am
be happy you still have mail delivery to your door, we have those community mailboxes, sometimes I forget to go pickup mail for like weeks
While I see why some people hate the community ones I'll be honest I don't particularly mind it. I've had it in the past and always appreciated the fact that my packages were either put in the lock box or taken to the post office. I've had a couple go missing in the last year due to being left out in the open and I'd prefer to go pick up from somewhere safe. I really only care about packages as well as we receive maybe 2-3 pieces of "Real" main in a month, as much as we can we have set to paperless.