Home & Garden

Are delivery drivers supposed to bring packages inside?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 5:11 pm
Oct 14, 2010
58 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
That is what neighbors are for Smiling Face With Open Mouth, help you move it inside/backyard.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11585 posts
2984 upvotes
GTA
ChicoQuente wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:28 am
Out of curiosity are there any rules about walking across people's property? Our mail woman takes the same line across our lawn every day instead of our walkway and it drives me nuts. I hate it but probably won't ever do anything about it but since you work for CP I was just curious about it.
Our routes are measured by wheeling off the distance it takes to walk by following the pathways. So technically, yes, there is a rule that you have to follow the paths. If a carrier were to trip and injure themselves while not following their line-of-route, they wouldn't be covered by WSIB etc.

I've seen people leave notes on their mailbox, little signs on their lawn and even people putting obstacles/fence/rope, so the carrier has no choice but to go around. As you've obviously seen her do it, perhaps have a little word in her ear, asking her not to do it. That would certainly be enough for me, as it would be extremely rude to continue to do it afterwards. Lastly you could file a complaint and she'd be instructed not to do it, but it sounds to me like you wouldn't go that far.

Why does it annoy you so much? Is it damaging your lawn or you don't like someone walking right past your window etc? Out of curiosity..... ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11397 posts
6203 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Slip a $20 and they'll bring it to wherever you want it to go.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8306 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
I think courier companies not but maybe those white glove delivery guys delivering furniture for sure.
For the courier company and its employees it might be a liability issue.
All you need is one person to cry "Rape" and a person may lose their job and a company have to pay out millions.
Nov 17, 2014
769 posts
515 upvotes
Ontario
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:37 am
Our routes are measured by wheeling off the distance it takes to walk by following the pathways. So technically, yes, there is a rule that you have to follow the paths. If a carrier were to trip and injure themselves while not following their line-of-route, they wouldn't be covered by WSIB etc.

I've seen people leave notes on their mailbox, little signs on their lawn and even people putting obstacles/fence/rope, so the carrier has no choice but to go around. As you've obviously seen her do it, perhaps have a little word in her ear, asking her not to do it. That would certainly be enough for me, as it would be extremely rude to continue to do it afterwards. Lastly you could file a complaint and she'd be instructed not to do it, but it sounds to me like you wouldn't go that far.

Why does it annoy you so much? Is it damaging your lawn or you don't like someone walking right past your window etc? Out of curiosity..... ;)
Why are people such a*sholes? Mail carriers do a lot of walking in very tough conditions. People should cut them some slack. Are their precious fakely manicured lawns that important? As if someone walking across it once a day is going to be noticable anyways.

Guarantee all these people were up in arms when door to door was almost taken away. Making their route more difficult is just increasing the cost of that service, making it more likely the government will try to take it away again.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3507 posts
1491 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:37 am

So if they see a child fall off their bike they can't rush over to help them? If a car is parked in the driveway, blocking the sidewalk, they can't walk around it?
Rules mean absolutely nothing when it comes to enforcement. If there is no actual Policy and Procedure nothing can happen. Rules are for people that don't know anything and can be led around by two fingers up their nostrils and they think they have to follow them like school children.
If you don't have a No Trespassing sign on you lawn and a mailbox at the end of the driveway you're just SOL. Only thing you can do is ask politely and if it continues then contact the powers to be to see if something can be agreed upon.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8587 posts
1623 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Makes sense that they only deliver to the door for liability issues. But anytime a delivery comes where two people are carrying it, they have always offered to set it down inside if I am at the door before they put it down. If I am not there in time, I wouldn't expect them to pick it up again to move it in.

Outside or in the entry area doesn't make much difference anyway since you still have to move it regardless. So it sits on the porch until someone gets home to help.

As for those complaining about someone crossing their lawn, what is the point of a lawn if you don't actually use it?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
JonSnow wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:36 pm
As we all get packages delivered to our doors, are they supposed to bring the packages inside the house, if asked? Talking about CP, UPS etc.

If i pay for delivery of a sofa they bring it inside the house, should that not be the case for regular packages?

I never really cared or gave it much thought before and picked it up from the porch, but today i had a rather large delivery which was impossible to lift on my own and they just left it on the steps outside.
For normal packages ...
Answer: NO
Reason: LIABILITY (personal injury , assault , damage to property)

For larger items ... for example, sofa, appliances ...
Answer: YES
However, they may not be required to hookup/install appliances as they may not be qualified installers.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3254 posts
901 upvotes
Edmonton
JonSnow wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:36 pm
As we all get packages delivered to our doors, are they supposed to bring the packages inside the house, if asked? Talking about CP, UPS etc.

If i pay for delivery of a sofa they bring it inside the house, should that not be the case for regular packages?

I never really cared or gave it much thought before and picked it up from the porch, but today i had a rather large delivery which was impossible to lift on my own and they just left it on the steps outside.
Hit the gym?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42424 posts
3097 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JonSnow wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:44 am
Fair enough and makes perfect sense. While I'm no mom with a new born there was no way 1 person could bring yesterday's package inside, would have been nice if the driver helped bring it in but since it isn't part of there job, was just curious.
What did you order that is light/small enough to go through the commercial parcel system, but big enough that you can't lift it in yourself? The driver is one person taking it from the truck to your door, and they're not all muscular men - many drivers are moms working part time.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3126 posts
627 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:50 pm
What did you order that is light/small enough to go through the commercial parcel system, but big enough that you can't lift it in yourself? The driver is one person taking it from the truck to your door, and they're not all muscular men - many drivers are moms working part time.
It was a table. I don't expect them to do sometime they aren't supported, only curious if they should.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2740 posts
113 upvotes
GTA
Jon Lai wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:50 pm
i had a courier bring in a 65 inch TV on their own
dude picked it up, and brought it into my house like it was nothing

Not that the TV is heavy, but the dimensions of the box make it awkward to carry alone
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42424 posts
3097 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gq_fuzion wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:45 pm
i had a courier bring in a 65 inch TV on their own
dude picked it up, and brought it into my house like it was nothing

Not that the TV is heavy, but the dimensions of the box make it awkward to carry alone
I understand, but considering that most of the time it's only the driver delivering packages, and the companies don't necessarily hire muscular men to be drivers, it's probably unreasonable to expect that they are better at carrying packages than the normal customer is.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback