Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Alienware 34" AW3418DW Ultrawide 120hz G-SYNC (10%OFFMONITOR) = $1151 + 10% ebates

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2018 10:31 am
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1296 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
All this talk about $2500 monitors and here I am happy because I was just able to oc an old Korean 1440 monitor to 67hz...
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
325 upvotes
Made in Canada
avengement wrote: Yeah, I am going to push for them to send me a new unit. There's no aw3418dw on offer through Dells Canadian refurb site right now, but in the US, a refurb monitor is currently 25% cheaper than the on sale price of a new panel. When a new panel is defective right out of the box it should be replaced with a new panel.
Definitely contact them to see what you can do, however almost every major tech company does this. When I worked for Apple, all our replacement units were remanufactured refurbished units. Every part that can be touched by a human being was replaced due to hygienic reasons, however because certain components are scarce natural resources, such as the gold, platinum, and palladium in certain circuits. Internal components such as the CPU chip would be reused. Battery, however, would always be replaced with a new one. I always found that refurbished units also had much lower defect rates in comparison to retail units. I have no clue why, but that was always the case.

Hope this somewhat gives you a belief in keeping the refurbished unit (and of course getting a discount off it).
Jul 18, 2005
433 posts
204 upvotes
The problem here is that this isn't a replacement for a product well into the warranty period. If I'm reading it correctly, it's still within the return period so this should be treated like an exchange. In this case, I'd expect replacements to be brand new products off the shelf. Similar to how you'd do an exchange at a retail store.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2010
1096 posts
1354 upvotes
Canada
Josecc wrote: All this talk about $2500 monitors and here I am happy because I was just able to oc an old Korean 1440 monitor to 67hz...
Was that a YAMAKASI? I have one as well if it is. I'm thinking of getting this one to replace it.

Looks like the price is back to $1299 for 48 hours plus only 4% Ebates though.

Wondering if I should go for it.....
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
325 upvotes
Made in Canada
Constellation wrote: The problem here is that this isn't a replacement for a product well into the warranty period. If I'm reading it correctly, it's still within the return period so this should be treated like an exchange. In this case, I'd expect replacements to be brand new products off the shelf. Similar to how you'd do an exchange at a retail store.
I completely agree, however I think majority of the reason why they went the refurbished route is purely out of the automated process itself. They submitted a ticket, the ticket was completed as a repair/replacement. It wasn't a return/credited and repurchased.

Needless to say, I'm sure someone internally could fix it. I'm just assuming that's how Dell originally dealt with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1138 posts
775 upvotes
I took a day off to make sure I am home to receive this item and purolator decided to stick delivery notice and leave without even trying to deliver it. And they have shipped the package to YVR Airport Purolator depot for pickup which is quite far away. Hate purolator so much!! Called Dell and they tried to get them to redeliver today but they would not so I am left with no option than picking it up. Do you think the box will fit in 2017 civic sedan?

Dell did not give any credit for inconvenience on this.
Feb 18, 2017
28 posts
11 upvotes
BiteSizeThumb wrote: I completely agree, however I think majority of the reason why they went the refurbished route is purely out of the automated process itself. They submitted a ticket, the ticket was completed as a repair/replacement. It wasn't a return/credited and repurchased.

Needless to say, I'm sure someone internally could fix it. I'm just assuming that's how Dell originally dealt with it.
I got a reply from Dell and am optimistic. They apologized for not exchanging with a new unit since I am still within the 30 return window. Will be sending back the refurbished unit today and waiting for my second (hopefully new this time) replacement from Dell. I've heard the great refurbs from Apple but have have problems with Alienware and Dell before (this is was before Alienware was bought by Dell and before Dell went private, but still).

My technical problems aside, this monitor is incredible. I already had a 1440p 16:9 but this is so much more immersive. I've followed all the debates about ultrawides over the past couple years and I I was wondering how much more demanding the extra pixels would be since my platform is starting to show its age (2500k is getting a hand from my 980ti). Thankfully in the titles I've played so far it has been a non-issue but in case my frames start dipping below the 80-110 I'm used to G-Sync can start pulling its weight until Coffeelake/Ryzen3/1180ti's arrive.

Thank you all for your input and I'll keep you updated.
achohan91 wrote: I took a day off to make sure I am home to receive this item and purolator decided to stick delivery notice and leave without even trying to deliver it. And they have shipped the package to YVR Airport Purolator depot for pickup which is quite far away. Hate purolator so much!! Called Dell and they tried to get them to redeliver today but they would not so I am left with no option than picking it up. Do you think the box will fit in 2017 civic sedan?

The box is HUGE. Barely fit in an older Honda CRV. The refurb box I received was smaller and fit in my Impreza hatchback with the rear seats folded down.
Last edited by avengement on Jul 24th, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
This is back down to $1299 and awfully tempting... If the Dell ebates deals return, I think I may have to pull the trigger. I'll be replacing both of these monitors on new PC build, so a smaller 4K later will round out the package.
Banned
Jan 11, 2016
446 posts
325 upvotes
Made in Canada
achohan91 wrote: I took a day off to make sure I am home to receive this item and purolator decided to stick delivery notice and leave without even trying to deliver it. And they have shipped the package to YVR Airport Purolator depot for pickup which is quite far away. Hate purolator so much!! Called Dell and they tried to get them to redeliver today but they would not so I am left with no option than picking it up. Do you think the box will fit in 2017 civic sedan?

Definitely wouldn't fit in the civic unless you took it out of the box and crushed it a bit. I had to use my family's Lexus NX SUV and it just barely fit.

As for Dell giving credit, they aren't the ones who delivered/attempted to deliver it. Should call Purolator and complain because they're the real jerks in this case.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1394 posts
783 upvotes
Lush78 wrote: This is back down to $1299 and awfully tempting... If the Dell ebates deals return, I think I may have to pull the trigger. I'll be replacing both of these monitors on new PC build, so a smaller 4K later will round out the package.
I'd jump on it as well likely. The difference between 12% and 4% ebates on the $1170 price tag, is about $100. Or I need a friend that works for dell for that nice 15% EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT!
Jul 18, 2005
433 posts
204 upvotes
Sigh... This just came in and it has a dead pixel on the right center of the screen. Didn't bother checking for anymore after that. Contemplating a return or exchange, but I've kinda had it with my monitor purchases recently. Went through 4 XB271HUs (ordering it whenever there was a sale for the past 2 years) and all had dead pixels. Was hoping another completely different model would be a different story.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2010
1096 posts
1354 upvotes
Canada
Drizzt wrote: I'd jump on it as well likely. The difference between 12% and 4% ebates on the $1170 price tag, is about $100. Or I need a friend that works for dell for that nice 15% EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT!
Amazing avatar! My favourite character.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1394 posts
783 upvotes
Thanks. The image was just pulled off the net somewhere, and all I did was the simple animated eye blink.

As for the inputs on this monitor, people should probably be aware, that it looks to support DP 1.2, or HDMI 1.4.

according to web sources:
DisplayPort 1.2 is capable of 3840×2160 at 60 Hz

the user manual states:
DP Display Modes (AW3418DW) 3440 x 1440@120Hz
HDMI display modes (AW3418DW) 3440 x 1440 @ 50Hz (probably best to not use this connector)

As per the overclock, is this a 3440 x 1440@100Hz panel that is able to be safely pushed to 120hz without artifacts? Will this affect the longevity of the monitor? Cause coil whine?
Last edited by Drizzt on Jul 25th, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1296 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
PannTher wrote: Was that a YAMAKASI? I have one as well if it is. I'm thinking of getting this one to replace it.

Looks like the price is back to $1299 for 48 hours plus only 4% Ebates though.

Wondering if I should go for it.....
Shimian I think, catleap was a bit more at that time iirc.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5504 posts
690 upvotes
Purolator delivered mine today. Felt sorry for the guy as I watched him bring it up. It's definitely quite huge.

Have to finish setting up my new PC, install the OS and should be good to go. Hope there's no issues.
This space for rent.
Oct 21, 2009
921 posts
850 upvotes

If you take flatten the box, have someone hold the monitor in their lap in the backseat, and put the base in the trunk or front seat you might be able to pull it off. Otherwise you need a van.

Try calling Purolator and speak to someone higher up. Ask then why they didn't ring the bell when you were home and could easily accept the package. They should be able to redeliver
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5504 posts
690 upvotes
This monitor is sweet! But Purolator boggles my mind. They deliver this monstrosity of a box but not my CPU. Of course that went to the depot so I have to go pick it up today. However, I have this connected to my laptop which has a 1060 and it looks amazing! Too bad it's only through HDMI and the refresh rate is 50Hz max. Definitely do not regret purchasing this. :D
This space for rent.
Dec 12, 2007
326 posts
136 upvotes
London
Another Purolator bashing coming up here.

My monitor was scheduled for delivery yesterday. Checked the tracking page yesterday afternoon -- "Delayed in transit due to road / highway closure". My street is being ripped up for water main/repaving this summer. There's no pavement on it right now, but it's currently very flat with no construction equipment or obstacles on our stretch of the road. My somewhat low Civic has no issues coming and going. But a higher Purolator truck with larger wheels... I guess not.

And oh, a UPS truck dropped a PC part at my door not an hour before this, so... not impressed.
Last edited by ibeleaf on Jul 25th, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Verified Rep
Dec 5, 2010
531 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto

Hi, we really apologize for any inconvenience stemming from this incident. If possible, can you please email us the tracking number? We'll file a service failure and we'll also request for another delivery for you.

Regards, James // Social Media Coordinator // Customer Care Team // Purolator Inc. // E-mail: customer.care@purolator.com // Follow us on Twitter : http://twitter.com/purolatorhelp // Visit us on: www.Purolator.com.
Customer Care Team / Purolator Inc.

E-mail: customer.care@purolator.com / Twitter Handle: @PurolatorHelp
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1382 posts
264 upvotes
GTA

It happened to me too Disappointed Face
They don't even bother to ring the bell while there are people at home at the time, all they did just left the notice.
Maybe the box is huge and heavy, they don't want to take the chance to carry it and find no one are at home.
Purolator called informing my monitor is ready for pick up... not even care to ask for re-delivery eh :facepalm:
I ended up picking up the monitor myself, to make sure it's handled with care.
The packaging box is quite beat-up (especially around the corners) when I picked up.
Good thing the whole packaging is very good to protect the monitor.

Yep there was water works by the city along the street in front and parking is kinda difficult.
But this happened before when there was no constructions on the street, etc.Astonished Face

I order the Dell Ultrashrap U3415W BTW. Alienware is a bit too heavy for my pocket, besides I don't do gaming.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)