Shopping Discussion

Dell.ca and their boxing day articles that never existed!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2014 8:32 pm
[OP]
Feb 22, 2010
189 posts
83 upvotes

Dell.ca and their boxing day articles that never existed!

Has this happened to anyone else? On Dec. 26h, I bought an Inspiron 660 for 399$, which was a pretty good deal (i3-3240, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HD). The basics, for a basic price. The sale started at 6AM, so I was in front of the computer at 5:55, just to be sure I had one.

I bought one, went through the whole order process. Got email confirmation. And then waited. The website said the system was "In Production".

On Dec. 31st, Dell sends an email saying how they are sorry for the inconvenience, but the order will take another five days to be completed. The website still said the system was "In Production".

On Jan. 13th (!!!), while the system was still supposed to be "In Production", I decided to call and ask why the hell the production was taking so long. After all, I'm still convinced I was of the first early orders when the deal went on. The CSR tells me the computer I ordered does not exist anymore, since december!!! He then goes on trying to sell me a newer model : twice the price for the exact same characteristics!! I hung up.

Even if Dell knew the system was never to be shipped, no email, no call from them. Now in my account, I see "Cancelled" next to the order number. Is it just me, or does it smell really bad?!

BB/FS have a better deal on an ASUS system with better performance, but still, I fell like Dell.ca made a big and ugly scam about computers that were never to be shipped, just for the possibility that some customers would upgrade to what's available now (and overpriced, compared to the boxing day deals).

Anyone else happens to be in the same Dell scam wagon?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15219 posts
2135 upvotes
Toronto
This is RedFlagDeals. I am sure if it was up on the Dell website on Boxing Day, someone else on this site would have bought one, just like you.
So either they shipped them and they don't want to ship them anymore (i.e. you are not getting one) or no one is getting it because they somehow screwed up.
Yeah, sounds pretty bad. I would keep pressing the issue with Dell.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13299 posts
3490 upvotes
Here 'n There
If you got email confirmation and even notice that the system was 'In Production' then you have an order number and a confirmation of the price. They have to sell it for you at that price.

Sounds like you are rolling over and taking it. Don't.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6167 posts
808 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 10:49 am
If you got email confirmation and even notice that the system was 'In Production' then you have an order number and a confirmation of the price. They have to sell it for you at that price.
No they don't.
Jan 12, 2014
49 posts
16 upvotes
douber wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 8:35 am
On Dec. 31st, Dell sends an email saying how they are sorry for the inconvenience, but the order will take another five days to be completed. The website still said the system was "In Production".
I still believe you have the right to demand for the product since you have the order confirmation.
May 30, 2011
218 posts
14 upvotes
North York
Happens all the time, especially those 10 days deals........etc
Last time I ordered through Phone to a real person, confirmed still in stock, the newer USB Belkin bar, the one that can rotate, like $9.99.
Got confirmation, but already say will ship at later date.
After a long time, it has not arrive, check status, already cancelled.
Forgot to double the credit card bill.

this happens all the time from Dell, as lot of members has these experiences with Dell.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13299 posts
3490 upvotes
Here 'n There
woof wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 11:34 am
No they don't.
Wrong, but if you believe that then roll over and take it, lol.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6167 posts
808 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Jan 15th, 2014 12:58 pm
Wrong, but if you believe that then roll over and take it, lol.
Opinions by themselves are worthless. Quote the legal statute which supports your opinion.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19971 posts
6113 upvotes
woof wrote:
Jan 16th, 2014 11:02 am
Opinions by themselves are worthless. Quote the legal statute which supports your opinion.
If you're in Quebec they do.
Otherwise they don't.
I'm not going to dig up consumer protection laws, but there's a few examples on the forums already where they honored the price in Quebec but told the rest of Canada to get bent.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13299 posts
3490 upvotes
Here 'n There
woof wrote:
Jan 16th, 2014 11:02 am
We're not in a court of law, lol. But, the legal statue doesn't matter if the guy is going to roll over.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2010
189 posts
83 upvotes
Update : Thanks all for your opinion!

I'm not the kind to roll over, indeed. After several emails and calls, Dell has put a newer model in production for me, for the same price! Keep on fighting! :0)