Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell.com - Dell Streak 16gb Unlocked $400 (potentially US only) Free Shipping w/in US

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2010 11:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6977 posts
1039 upvotes
blackwater wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 8:02 am
Awesome find !!!

will it work on rogers 3G though ?

Yes, it will work with Rogers.

For those that ordered with Cdn credit cards - call up your CC issuer, and let them know you made the purchase, and to note that it should be authorized. Some issuers may not stop the payment, but this step will help ensure a smooth transaction.

My initial order was cancelled, then I called my CC issuer stating that I will be making the purchase. Called back Dell, explained the situation, and they placed another order for me... and so far so good.
Jul 28, 2009
141 posts
25 upvotes
order placed ! lets hope it comes
s/w a rep confirmed that it will work on rogers 3g spec are identical to the streak on dell.ca
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2041 posts
244 upvotes
Ottawa
I've owned two of these. They're decent phones after the 2.2 update. prior to they were garbage. anyways they work fine on rogers/fido/bell/telus

One warning though, they're massive and ungainly. But this is a great price. I'm tempted to buy one again.. damn.. You know why? because I just sold mine and there isn't anything out there I've found thats a decent price to replace it. The Dell thunder looks pretty good. it's a 4.1inch screen and is expected in the next couple months. It launched in Korea yesterday.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18161 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Would this work with Rogers $10/month unlimited mobile browsing? Or would a data plan be required for 3G internet access?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2041 posts
244 upvotes
Ottawa
@felix no. need data.

@sahilz no it won't. I can't recall if it is wind or mobilicity but it works for voice on one of them but data on neither.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1111 posts
74 upvotes
I don't need a phone plan and have been eyeing the Galaxy Tab for portable internet but the form factor of the Streak seems better suited for my needs -- however the Streak IS a phone.

Does that mean that I'll need a phone AND data plan in order to get portable internet access or would Bell be able to set me up on Galaxy Tab/Ipad-type data plan for this unit (no phone plan)?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6977 posts
1039 upvotes
bobor wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 9:32 am
I don't need a phone plan and have been eyeing the Galaxy Tab for portable internet but the form factor of the Streak seems better suited for my needs -- however the Streak IS a phone.

Does that mean that I'll need a phone AND data plan in order to get portable internet access or would Bell be able to set me up on Galaxy Tab/Ipad-type data plan for this unit (no phone plan)?

not sure about bell... but rogers does allow for data only plan on the Streak.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2041 posts
244 upvotes
Ottawa
btw. dell rep just told me estimated delivery date is 3rd week of january... while the site says it ships out january 5th. either way. keep that in mind.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4700 posts
90 upvotes
Oakville
story wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 2:45 am
Tab and iPad is too heavy for prolong use.

That would only be an issue if you are standing for long periods using these larger form factors. You sacrifice usability with smaller screens.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2734 posts
315 upvotes
I was looking at this deal last night but haven't bought it yet.

The Streak hasn't done very well in terms of sales, and I don't think Dell will support it for too much longer.

Also, Gingerbread is out now, and this phone will almost certainly never get an update to 2.3.

Many phones already have 4"-4.3" screens, so while this one has a decent price tag, keep in mind that it is 6 months old and probably won't be updated to 2.3.
May 28, 2008
90 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
shylok wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 10:35 am
btw. dell rep just told me estimated delivery date is 3rd week of january... while the site says it ships out january 5th. either way. keep that in mind.

Have a feeling that by the 3rd week of January the prices of these first generation Android Tabs will have dropped below what is being offered here - by then all the competitors will have announced their first quarter release dates. But i guess you can always cancel your order.
Sep 20, 2009
115 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa
mic2074 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 8:10 am
Yes, it will work with Rogers.

For those that ordered with Cdn credit cards - call up your CC issuer, and let them know you made the purchase, and to note that it should be authorized. Some issuers may not stop the payment, but this step will help ensure a smooth transaction.

My initial order was cancelled, then I called my CC issuer stating that I will be making the purchase. Called back Dell, explained the situation, and they placed another order for me... and so far so good.

Damn it my order was cancelled!