Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell.com - Dell Streak 16gb Unlocked $400 (potentially US only) Free Shipping w/in US

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2010 11:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
4749 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
tocheapass wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 10:46 am
Have a feeling that by the 3rd week of January the prices of these first generation Android Tabs will have dropped below what is being offered here - by then all the competitors will have announced their first quarter release dates. But i guess you can always cancel your order.
^^exactly ; this will garantee you a spot in line.. :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6977 posts
1039 upvotes
tocheapass wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 10:46 am
Have a feeling that by the 3rd week of January the prices of these first generation Android Tabs will have dropped below what is being offered here - by then all the competitors will have announced their first quarter release dates. But i guess you can always cancel your order.

well, prices on technology will always keep dropping, as newer and more innovative products come out... can't keep waiting.

For those that are concerned with lack of future O/S support from Dell... well, there's always cooked ROM's. Those that are not tech savvy enough to load a cooked rom, Froyo will probably be more than sufficient for their use, and be happy with it. Note, lots of other manufacturers' put their older products to the back burner, as well. They only have so much resources, and will only focus on new product development and support - and that's the nature of the tech industry.

For what it's worth, this is a good deal on a good product at this time. I know it's a unique product that doesn't appeal to everyone.
May 28, 2008
90 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
mic2074 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 11:16 am
well, prices on technology will always keep dropping, as newer and more innovative products come out... can't keep waiting.

For those that are concerned with lack of future O/S support from Dell... well, there's always cooked ROM's. Those that are not tech savvy enough to load a cooked rom, Froyo will probably be more than sufficient for their use, and be happy with it. Note, lots of other manufacturers' put their older products to the back burner, as well. They only have so much resources, and will only focus on new product development and support - and that's the nature of the tech industry.

For what it's worth, this is a good deal on a good product at this time. I know it's a unique product that doesn't appeal to everyone.

I agree, but feel that this is a special situation just becasue Tablets are a relatively new phenomenom that many companies are, just now, jumping into. Moreso than with other technologies, there will be huge changes in the next 1-2 months in the Tablet market.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6977 posts
1039 upvotes
tocheapass wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 11:29 am
I agree, but feel that this is a special situation just becasue Tablets are a relatively new phenomenom that many companies are, just now, jumping into. Moreso than with other technologies, there will be huge changes in the next 1-2 months in the Tablet market.

I agree with you on the point about tablets... but, this is somewhat a unique product - hybrid between phone and tablet. While tablets will have steep drop in price, smartphones will not be as dramatic, and in the next 3-4 months, I can't see an unlocked smartphone of this caliber be less than $400.
May 28, 2008
90 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
mic2074 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 11:33 am
I agree with you on the point about tablets... but, this is somewhat a unique product - hybrid between phone and tablet. While tablets will have steep drop in price, smartphones will not be as dramatic, and in the next 3-4 months, I can't see an unlocked smartphone of this caliber be less than $400.

ok... yeah i see your point. I was looking at it as more of a tablet, but as a $400 phone the price does seem quite good. I am hoping the galaxy tab will drop a couple hundred. Otherwise, I would be all over this deal.
Nov 5, 2006
670 posts
1633 upvotes
tocheapass wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 11:29 am
Moreso than with other technologies...

"Moreso" is incorrect. It's always spelled as two separate, distinct words - i.e., more so.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2500 posts
469 upvotes
mikenemat wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 11:08 am
Damn it my order was cancelled!

Do you mean your Cdn credit card provider cancelled the order on you, or that Dell cancelled it? If it was your credit card, I guess I'd better call my credit card company to make sure they don't cancel the order.... but if it was Dell, I guess we're out of luck.

...and I wonder what will happen w.r.t. the 2 year term condition: I didn't get asked anything about signing up, so what will they do after the fact? phone me and then if I don't sign a contract, bill my CC: retroactively?

This isn't exactly a "price error" but I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a logistical loophole.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Sep 20, 2009
115 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa
lorax1284 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 12:07 pm
Do you mean your Cdn credit card provider cancelled the order on you, or that Dell cancelled it? If so, I guess I'd better call my credit card company to make sure they don't cancel the order.

...and I wonder what will happen w.r.t. the 2 year term condition: I didn't get asked anything about signing up, so what will they do after the fact? phone me and then if I don't sign a contract, bill my CC: retroactively?

This isn't exactly a "price error" but I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a logistical loophole.

Dell cancelled it with no explanation this morning. My provider did not call me about it so I'm not sure they had anything to do with it. I'm trying to order again through the phone. I'm buying the unlocked one so I'm sure it has nothing to do with contracts.
Mar 29, 2005
850 posts
95 upvotes
coopercold wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 11:45 am
"Moreso" is incorrect. It's always spelled as two separate, distinct words - i.e., more so.

See, the fun thing about language is that it's not immutable.

If there was some concrete loss of meaning created by the fusion of "more" and "so" like there is with the misuse of "ironic" and "literally", then I would agree with your nitpick. But there isn't. My advice to you, grammar nazi to grammar nazi: pick your battles, and recognize that language is dynamic and changes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6977 posts
1039 upvotes
mikenemat wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 12:10 pm
Dell cancelled it with no explanation this morning. My provider did not call me about it so I'm not sure they had anything to do with it. I'm trying to order again through the phone. I'm buying the unlocked one so I'm sure it has nothing to do with contracts.

just to be sure, I suggest calling your CC issuer before calling Dell, and tell them you're placing an order with Dell.com, and having it shipped to US address, not your billing address. They should ask you for the amount and make a note of that on your account.

When you're on the phone with the Dell rep, ensure you tell them it's an international CC with a foreign billing address. I did all that, and the second order is in good standing, as of today. Someone from Dell did call me 10 minutes after placing the order to verify some information before releasing the order.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2734 posts
315 upvotes
mic2074 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 11:16 am

I wouldn't expect a ton of support for this phone from modders, it isn't nearly as popular as many other phones, and I expect when the Nexus 2 launches much of the modding community will be headed over to it.

A lot of older phones with good custom roms sold well, the Streak isn't doing so well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6977 posts
1039 upvotes
lorax1284 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 12:07 pm
Do you mean your Cdn credit card provider cancelled the order on you, or that Dell cancelled it? If it was your credit card, I guess I'd better call my credit card company to make sure they don't cancel the order.... but if it was Dell, I guess we're out of luck.

I'm pretty sure this price is not a subsidized price, as they never asked me anything about a service plan when I ordered. When you order, they will not mention anything about signing up with a service plan. Thus, you have not agreed to any plan - so, there is no way they can charge your credit card for a service plan later on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
6977 posts
1039 upvotes
komal wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 12:21 pm
I wouldn't expect a ton of support for this phone from modders, it isn't nearly as popular as many other phones, and I expect when the Nexus 2 launches much of the modding community will be headed over to it.

A lot of older phones with good custom roms sold well, the Streak isn't doing so well.

Let's put it this way, will Dell get out of the phone business ? I would tend to say no at this time. I think they've messed up their whole phone line launch with multiple deadline misses, and barely any promotions at all. While they were selling the Streak locked to AT&T - AT&T stores did not carry them, nor did they have any idea of what the phone was. I went into an AT&T store back in Sep, and asked, the sales guy had no idea what it was.

But, I think Dell will stay with the phone business. One thing that convinces me of this is that they've got a mobility store now too. Then again, they might stick with selling phone plans, and not manufacture phones.

http://mobility.dell.com/mobile/?referr ... llmobility
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2500 posts
469 upvotes
a in yul wrote:
Dec 16th, 2010 11:28 pm
great deal, thanks for sharing...!!
Whats better, this or the galaxy tab??

I played with a galaxy tab (on demo at Future Shop) and it seemed to be fine, in terms of performance... the screen resolution is 1024 x 600 (same as most Netbooks) compared to the Streak's 800 x 480... but I like the form factor of the Streak: it's comfortable to hold in one hand weight-wise, and size-wise, you can hold it with both hands, thumbs on the bottom, middle-finger on the top and use you index fingers to type (well, I can... my hands are big enough that my index fingers will reach all the keys). I've updated my streak to Froyo (Android 2.2) and I've read reviews of Gingerbread (2.3) that claim further performance improvements. So, I think these devices, both having 1GHz processors, will do very well assuming that the vendors make the OSes available... so it just comes down to personal preference re: form factor, which I don't think anyone can really "recommend" for you.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2500 posts
469 upvotes
mic2074 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2010 12:24 pm
I'm pretty sure this price is not a subsidized price, as they never asked me anything about a service plan when I ordered. When you order, they will not mention anything about signing up with a service plan. Thus, you have not agreed to any plan - so, there is no way they can charge your credit card for a service plan later on.

I noticed that despite their offer of 2 day express shipping, the Estimated Ship Date is January 11, 2011... which gives them LOTs of time to a) correct their logistical goof-up and b) have a rep call you to get your details and sign you up for a plan... at which time you would have to decline the plan and they would either cancel your order or add back the $180 or the $150 penalty... "It's worked so far, but we're not out yet.". Oh, Dr. McCoy... you are so wise.