Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa

Dell delivery - didn't order a computer but got one anyway

Got home from work yesterday and there was a box on the front porch. A new Dell Aurora, shipped via Purolator. I didn't buy it, have no idea how it ended up on my doorstep with my address on the shipping label. Dropped it off at Purolator this morning but I'm curious if they can (and how would) they track it? I'm amazed that a signature wasn't required.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Wow, last time my Purolator guy insisted they will need signature for a $20 SD card from Dell.ca even with my SNR sticker cause it is "electronics".

Now they can drop of laptops without ??

It will be hard to track if you don't keep it. Say, if you were to remove the box and sell it as new on kijiji, they can't prove that you got it.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
Maybe someone ordered it with a stolen credit card number intending to scoop the delivery up before the op got home from work, so he's none the wiser.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
should have kept it. by law if a company ships you a item you didn't order then it is yours.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Keas wrote: by law if a company ships you a item you didn't order then it is yours.

:rolleyes:

No other words.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Check your credit rating from Equifax. While this is more than likely some type of an administrative error on the behalf of Dell, something similar happened to one of colleagues. It was an early case of an identity theft.
Mar 6, 2012
783 posts
266 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: :rolleyes:

No other words.
Technically he is right:
Unsolicited goods or services: relief from legal obligations
13. (1) Except as provided in this section, a recipient of unsolicited goods or services has no legal obligation in respect of their use or disposal. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 13 (1).
No payment for unsolicited goods or services
(2) No supplier shall demand payment or make any representation that suggests that a consumer is required to make payment in respect of any unsolicited goods or services despite their use, receipt, misuse, loss, damage or theft. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 13 (2).
source:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... e.htm#BK14
Oct 17, 2012
310 posts
616 upvotes
I would probably ask my neighbors if they bought a PC recently and if no-one near me had bought one I would've kept it. It's an Alienware Aurora which costs at least $1500 why would I return it to Purolator. And the dude that bought it if he is legit and lives somewhere he can report that his Alienware never arrived and would either get a refund or get a new one sent to him. And if Purolator comes to my door I can say I never got it.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Beachdown wrote: Got home from work yesterday and there was a box on the front porch. A new Dell Aurora, shipped via Purolator. I didn't buy it, have no idea how it ended up on my doorstep with my address on the shipping label. Dropped it off at Purolator this morning but I'm curious if they can (and how would) they track it? I'm amazed that a signature wasn't required.
Whose name is on it?
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
toy187 wrote: Technically he is right:
He is right if it was delivered to the OP, for the OP, and not delivered at the wrong door, for someone else.
Of course, there is no legal action that can be taken against OP if he keeps it, but it is immoral.
JAC wrote: Whose name is on it?
Exactly
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
jesus christ. ppl don't use their brains these days anymore do they?

here are the steps i would have taken rather than wasting gas to go to purolator.

1. open box
2. find order number
3. call dell
4. tell them the situation.. see if they can give you the rightful owner's address
5. arrange for dell to send you a new shipping label (or if it's a few doors down, deliver the item)

my guess is that a number was off on the address, or they put blvd instead of street? or there is supposed to be NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, WEST in the address somewhere?

i know what ppl are gonna say "it's not his responsibility", which i agree.. but imagine if the roles were reverse (because i WAS in his shoes before, story below):

- you order a laptop worth $xxxx.xx
- see it's delivered
- no laptop in sight

all that stress calling dell.

but anyways...

when the iPhone 4 came out i ordered over the phone and it was shipped to me. i'm sitting by the window cause the item was "out for delivery".. i'm excited of course. eventually i see Canada post outside my house but they delivered it to unit 1*2 rather than 1*2. i check my tracking and it says delivered so i knew it was delivered there and not my address. went across the street and asked the neighbours (which just moved in the day before) if that was their package. they said no and i asked to see the unit number. it clearly had my house number on it so they gave me the package.

imagine the headache i would have calling rogers, after the package was SIGNED for and delivered?? not to mention not getting the phone for months due to inventory issues.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
eldiablo wrote: Check your credit rating from Equifax. While this is more than likely some type of an administrative error on the behalf of Dell, something similar happened to one of colleagues. It was an early case of an identity theft.
I thought of that too and checked. All is good.
Crackass wrote: I would probably ask my neighbors if they bought a PC recently and if no-one near me had bought one I would've kept it. It's an Alienware Aurora which costs at least $1500 why would I return it to Purolator. And the dude that bought it if he is legit and lives somewhere he can report that his Alienware never arrived and would either get a refund or get a new one sent to him. And if Purolator comes to my door I can say I never got it.
Only have a few neighbours, none of whose names are even close to what was on the shipping label.
JAC wrote: Whose name is on it?
P. Farhan

al3x89 wrote: jesus christ. ppl don't use their brains these days anymore do they?

here are the steps i would have taken rather than wasting gas to go to purolator.

1. open box
2. find order number
3. call dell
4. tell them the situation.. see if they can give you the rightful owner's address
5. arrange for dell to send you a new shipping label (or if it's a few doors down, deliver the item)

my guess is that a number was off on the address, or they put blvd instead of street? or there is supposed to be NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, WEST in the address somewhere?

i know what ppl are gonna say "it's not his responsibility", which i agree.. but imagine if the roles were reverse (because i WAS in his shoes before, story below):

- you order a laptop worth $xxxx.xx
- see it's delivered
- no laptop in sight

all that stress calling dell.
I wasn't about to go through the hassle of calling Dell. Just dropped it off at Purolator on my way to work, told them it wasn't for me and to ship it back. This is a small town and my street name is not common at all, so there was no mix up on the address. The name doesn't sound right for this lily white town either although I could be wrong about the origins of the name.

I just got a new laptop and have a desktop, along with every other device known to man. Not worth the hassle of keeping it or selling it for profit. Although if it does come back here again I'll keep it :)
Jun 2, 2011
295 posts
55 upvotes
Had a similar situation happen to me once with another persons info on the package (from another country) and I went out of my way to call the company and explain what happened and to get the package sent back. Few months later I went to purchase something online from that company and it wouldnt go through. Called and the rep told me that my address was blacklisted because somehow they labelled the incident as me stealing their product.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)