[Dell] Dell XPS 15 9560 / $1849 / i7-7700HQ Quad / 512gb SSD

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 8:19 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8710 posts
2787 upvotes
Oil Country
Got my XPS 15 on Friday, and finished setting it up today. It came with a 256GB SK Hynix PC300(PCIe NVMe) drive. Happy I didn't pay for the upgrade. Will upgrade to a 1TB Samsung drive soon.

*Edit*

I also contacted Dell to see if they can do anything about it. Either credit me some cash, or replace the drive for a Samsung one.
Last edited by fudge_u on Oct 30th, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RFD mods are on a power trip... how about messaging me before changing my signature. Some common courtesy would have been nice.
Apr 28, 2017
219 posts
122 upvotes
This model goes on sale all the time and has been much cheaper
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8710 posts
2787 upvotes
Oil Country
User381785 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 2:18 am
Which?
RFD mods are on a power trip... how about messaging me before changing my signature. Some common courtesy would have been nice.
Jun 10, 2003
584 posts
24 upvotes
Halifax
fudge_u wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 1:58 am
Got my XPS 15 on Friday, and finished setting it up today. It came with a 256GB SK Hynix PC300(PCIe NVMe) drive. Happy I didn't pay for the upgrade. Will upgrade to a 1TB Samsung drive soon.

*Edit*

I also contacted Dell to see if they can do anything about it. Either credit me some cash, or replace the drive for a Samsung one.
I don't get it, I see this crap on the Dell reddit all the time. I own a xps 9560 and when I bought it no where did the specs say it comes with a Samsung ssd, it just says a 256gb nvme ssd. You would need a stop watch to notice the difference in performance, or just sit at your laptop and run benchmarks all day. I just don't get why some expect Dell to give them money back when they got exactly what they paid for.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8710 posts
2787 upvotes
Oil Country
instanoodles wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:06 am
I don't get it, I see this crap on the Dell reddit all the time. I own a xps 9560 and when I bought it no where did the specs say it comes with a Samsung ssd, it just says a 256gb nvme ssd. You would need a stop watch to notice the difference in performance, or just sit at your laptop and run benchmarks all day. I just don't get why some expect Dell to give them money back when they got exactly what they paid for.
There's no expectation. If they do something, great. If not, I'm not going to put up a stink. I'm planning to upgrade to a 1TB Samsung soon. Just happy I didn't pay for one of the SSD upgrade options.
Last edited by fudge_u on Oct 30th, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2666 posts
238 upvotes
Is anyone else experiencing problems with their XPS touchpad? It will randomly freeze and start jittering..I updated my Bios and still the same problem.
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8710 posts
2787 upvotes
Oil Country
instanoodles wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:06 am
They're crediting me $150+tax because I contacted them regarding my concerns, specifically with the SSD. In the end, I ended up paying $1601.86, plus I still have $51 in Dell Advantage Rewards coming my way. I also have 1-year to pay it off.
Last edited by fudge_u on Oct 30th, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 4, 2007
94 posts
31 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
fudge_u wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:08 pm
They're crediting me $150 because I contacted them regarding my concerns, specifically with the SSD. In the end, I ended up paying $1601.86, plus I still have $51 in Dell Advantage Rewards coming my way. I also have 1-year to pay it off.
Thanks for the update. Can I ask what you specifically stated as your concern? I ask because I may have to go through the same thing soon (hopefully not). Post here or PM is fine.
Jul 4, 2007
94 posts
31 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
User381785 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 2:18 am
What was the lowest price for this specific configuration?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8710 posts
2787 upvotes
Oil Country
logikol wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 11:45 pm
Thanks for the update. Can I ask what you specifically stated as your concern? I ask because I may have to go through the same thing soon (hopefully not). Post here or PM is fine.
The drive has performance issues in Ubuntu. Kept on getting I/O errors (was referencing a thread I found). I needed a better supported drive for Linux, and one would cost around $150. I told the CSR I would have preferred a Samsung SSD instead of the SK Hynix SSD, and then she gave me a few options to keep the laptop. Credit towards the purchase of a new drive off the Dell site, or credit towards my laptop.
Jul 4, 2007
94 posts
31 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
fudge_u wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:03 am
The drive has performance issues in Ubuntu. Kept on getting I/O errors (was referencing a thread I found). I needed a better supported drive for Linux, and one would cost around $150. I told the CSR I would have preferred a Samsung SSD instead of the SK Hynix SSD, and then she gave me a few options to keep the laptop. Credit towards the purchase of a new drive off the Dell site, or credit towards my laptop.
Thanks for the info.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8710 posts
2787 upvotes
Oil Country
logikol wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:07 am
Thanks for the info.
Oh, and I mentioned that I was irritated that Dell has no consistency with their builds. They switch between Samsung, Toshiba, and SK Hynix 256GB SSDs.
Jul 4, 2007
94 posts
31 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
fudge_u wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:14 am
Oh, and I mentioned that I was irritated that Dell has no consistency with their builds. They switch between Samsung, Toshiba, and SK Hynix 256GB SSDs.
Thank you again
May 8, 2012
8 posts
Ottawa
8th gen performance increases will be substantial. Personally waiting until Jan/Feb when dell rep said new chip upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8710 posts
2787 upvotes
Oil Country
Lgilly wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 9:07 am
8th gen performance increases will be substantial. Personally waiting until Jan/Feb when dell rep said new chip upgrade.
It'll probably cost significantly more than I paid. After all of the discounts and cash back, I paid $1499 with taxes included for an i5-7300HQ with 4K display.

The cost to upgrade to 32GB memory and a Samsung EVO 960 m.2 1TB NVMe SSD was another $813. Not too shabby for a little over $2300. Definitely better than what Dell could have given me.
Last edited by fudge_u on Oct 31st, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

fudge_u, velomane, clubbah