• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2011 5:05 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 4, 2007
83 posts
3 upvotes

Dell frustration

A few weeks ago (Aug 12) I ordered a Dell Inspiron laptop with Office 2010. After tax and a RedFlagDeals.com coupon my order came to $685.50. So of course, I keep getting emails saying my order is delayed and just today I got an email saying my order was cancelled and they were issuing me a new order number.

Taking a look at the new order I see it's the same price ($685.50), but now it's without Office 2010. In the new order it specifically says "NO PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE REQUESTED". ARGH!!! So frustrating.

I just called to get this straightened out, but of course the online sales department is only open from 8:30am - 5:30pm, even though I got the email 30 minutes ago at 8pm saying they take customer service very seriously.

Sorry - there's no real point to this post, I just needed to vent.
12 replies
Mar 23, 2008
483 posts
40 upvotes
Bought a laptop from Dell about 8 years ago, was extremely happy with the product and the service I received. Bought the girlfriend a Dell last year, given the amazing experience I had, and was beyond disappointed. Product sucked, customer service is a joke now, seems like Dell has been on the decline. Needless to say I'm done with Dell :D
Nov 4, 2007
83 posts
3 upvotes
I just got off the phone with "Arish" from Dell online sales. She didn't really understand the problem, even though I tried to clearly explain that the old order had Office 2010, but the new one does not (and is the same price).

The first time I explained the problem she let me know that my expected ship date was this Friday. Five seconds of uncomfortable silence followed until I re-explained the issue. Then she said that my old order didn't show Office 2010, so I had to take her step by step through the itemized list until she found it. More silence followed until I took her through the new order parts list and explained that Office wasn't on there. She said she would email me an update in 30 minutes.

I'm predicting two things happen:

1) She cancels my order
2) She says everything is fixed and then I get my laptop without Office 2010
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
If I were you, I'd just cancel the order and go with an Asus laptop or Lenovo. You can't even have your order processed properly and you're going to trust then with technical support when something happens?

Trust me I've contacted Dell many times for clients and it was a nightmare but they can't divert off script if you tell them what you've done 100 times in case the 101th time it works.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
I've ordered 2 products from them and never had an issue. They even give me follow up calls to see how everything is going and to give me updates on my order.
Nov 4, 2007
83 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for the great insight, Coz4k... ?

Just an update on my trials and tribulations...

Yesterday I called back and spoke with Jirpeej, who understood the problem right away and promised to issue me a new order number. The day ticks on and no new order number, no email, or phone call.

Last night I asked my wife to call because maybe she'd have more luck. Sanjip was helpful and understanding, and promised to take care of the problem. He said he would call back in an hour and my wife politely made it clear that if we did not hear back, we would be canceling our order in the morning.

So now it's the morning, and I'll be canceling the order, calling VISA to block Dell charges, and trying one of those "executive email bombs" to let them know my order was canceled because nobody wanted to help straighten out a mistake they made.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
Dell's customer service has been fairly professional

however their tech support is a ****ing mess. They've messed up my 2ND RMA and they've managed to transfer 5 different people throughout India on the phone for over an hour.

They can't even provide an extension # or E-mail for the rep that ****ed up my 2nd RMA.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Nov 4, 2007
83 posts
3 upvotes
Well, after calling 5 times to get the problem fixed before my laptop shipped, the system arrived today. There was no trace of Office 2010 anywhere on the system or in the box - not even a trial version.

So I just called Dell and was told they'll be emailing me a product key and a download link in the next few days. Somehow I highly doubt that will happen.

I'm not sure what the lesson is here, but there must be one.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
gnuman wrote: If I were you, I'd just cancel the order and go with an Asus laptop or Lenovo. You can't even have your order processed properly and you're going to trust then with technical support when something happens?

Trust me I've contacted Dell many times for clients and it was a nightmare but they can't divert off script if you tell them what you've done 100 times in case the 101th time it works.

+1. This is a good call.
Nov 4, 2007
83 posts
3 upvotes
gnuman wrote: If I were you, I'd just cancel the order and go with an Asus laptop or Lenovo. You can't even have your order processed properly and you're going to trust then with technical support when something happens?

My mom got an Asus laptop and it lasted 3 months until the GPU died, so I don't think I would purchase one of their systems. To be honest, I almost got a Lenovo ThinkPad, but Dell had Office 2010 on sale, so I opted to go with them.

How come you never consistently hear stories that "X brand of laptop is great". It seems like everyone has problems with every brand of laptop and there are none that stand head and shoulders above the other. For example, my mom has had her old Dell laptop for 5 years and it's still running great, but her brand new Asus one didn't even last 3 months.

I'm a huge fan of quality and customer service and would gladly pay extra for it, but it seems like all manufacturers are the same. It's like switching from Rogers to Bell... same difference.
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes
I ordered an LED TV from Dell, my first purchase from them. In spite of the item being shown as available on their website, it was suddenly "backordered" on my purchase tracking, with a future delivery date that was so long it was unacceptable to me. So I called, and cancelled the order. I was told a confirmation of the cancellation would be sent to my email. Next thing I know, I'm advised delivery of the item will be the next day! It was - it happened. What's wrong with these people = don't they know what they're doing?
So many businesses have Dell computers, which makes them seem reputable, but, geez, if this is how they do business, I'm hesitant to buy from them again.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
jan_db wrote: I ordered an LED TV from Dell, my first purchase from them. In spite of the item being shown as available on their website, it was suddenly "backordered" on my purchase tracking, with a future delivery date that was so long it was unacceptable to me. So I called, and cancelled the order. I was told a confirmation of the cancellation would be sent to my email. Next thing I know, I'm advised delivery of the item will be the next day! It was - it happened. What's wrong with these people = don't they know what they're doing?
So many businesses have Dell computers, which makes them seem reputable, but, geez, if this is how they do business, I'm hesitant to buy from them again.

Businesses have Dell because they get an incredible deal and can sometimes offer some sort of deal for their employees as well (EPP). Their products and services is just as good or bad as the "other guys."
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
I ordered a 21.5" LCD recently and also had a pain in the butt getting my order processed. The price did not match the advertised newspaper price but since the telephone support/sales was closed by the time I wanted to order it I ordered it online with the intention of getting them to adjust the price (which would be a simple procedure anywhere else). After a number of phone calls (including some disconnects) I eventually got a hold of a lady to do it for me. She had to enter in a new order and cancel my old order, or, so she said. I was a bit dissapointed as I would lose the GCR referral credit I was suppose to get (not a huge deal but a few $$$ still). Anyway, I also went to e-mail route to executive office because of my frustration in the order process (was overall very frustrating. Reps had a hard time understanding what I was saying, I kind of wish I spoke better french so I could call North American call centre instead). Anyway, I ended up getting a follow up call from the executive team and the guy handled my issues after that. Turned out that my first order wasn't cancelled and it was too late to cancel the order so I ended up receiving 2 of the monitors on the same day.. The guy had sent me a return shipping label in advance so I managed to send it back on the same day it was delivered. I have to check on my next statement that all of teh credits went through but I think he cleared up that issue. However, another problem arose because the specs showed one thing (that the monitor had VESA mount) but the actual monitor didn't. I found an after market bracket that I could buy but that was going to cost me extra money. So I asked if there was anything the rep could do and he agreed to issue me a coupon for future purchase....

Anyway, hope you get your laptop issues resolved. I never had a problem with Dell before but after this latest experience it is making me more hesitant.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)