Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

i7 8550u 8gb DDR4 2400Mhz 256gb SSD + 15" FHD Laptop - 879.99 ($712.80 + Uni + eBates) (WARM)

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2018 11:50 am
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
A few points, with respect:

1) I quoted a poster who provided a Dell AMD system that isn't significantly impacted by Spectre/Meltdown, if this is a concern.

2) 'Real world' performance losses are in the range of 1% to 14%, typically around 1% to 5%. See the table linked below, provided by Intel, look at the nearly identical i7-8650U performance:

https://i.imgur.com/4IsPpeo.jpg

I do not buy into this logic that retail consumers need to wait on buying a laptop. Commercial IT purchasing is a separate issue, so are specialized application users such as those mentioned in this thread (myself included). For most individuals, this laptop is more than fine, it's a great performer.

Keep your head, gentlemen.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
Could I update the video card has anyone tried?
Dec 31, 2006
842 posts
212 upvotes
Was going to pull the trigger last night but decided to sleep on it and now it's an additional $100 off! It's part of the Webcrasher

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/member/shop/d ... tsb1_h009e

After my Unidays + eBates (10%) it brings it down to $648.89 which I think is a a great deal for anyone looking for a laptop. Thanks OP!
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I would say use the unit before judging. I don't notice this on my work machine at all, except if I'm comparing it directly to a better machine.

This is a very practical machine for a practical price. Beggars can't be choosers, played out as that is.
Checked out the unit in person (from a colleague). It's a practical system, but definitely not for everyone.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1616 posts
853 upvotes
ray90 wrote: Was going to pull the trigger last night but decided to sleep on it and now it's an additional $100 off! It's part of the Webcrasher

After my Unidays + eBates (10%) it brings it down to $648.89 which I think is a a great deal for anyone looking for a laptop. Thanks OP!
Don't forget that $25OFF$500PC code too.
This is a good deal for the specs and design, just factor in another $100+ and time/labour/knowledge to clone and migrate to an M.2 SSD. It really bugs me that these modern systems are completely choked with 5400rpm molasses slow HDD.

And to the poster above about saying U can't do real work and to get a HQ, some benchmarks show the i7 8550U outperforms the i7 7700HQ. As for a 8th gen H chip, those are just hitting the market now and you won't be getting a 2 in 1 with an H series CPU.

Best spec I've ever heard of for convertible touch laptop is an Acer Nitro Spin5 or Acer Spin 5 with 8th gen U CPU paired with a GTX1050. But those will thermal throttle on heavy load because they use a singular fan/shared heat pipe design. Surface Book higher end is also one of the most powerful but also one of the most expensive.
Always in search of a great deal....
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Netcruzer wrote: Don't forget that $25OFF$500PC code too.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can combine $25OFF$500PC with Unidays.
Feb 5, 2008
385 posts
197 upvotes
Anyone has a spare Unidays code to share, please PM me, thanks in advance
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
Netcruzer wrote: Don't forget that $25OFF$500PC code too.
This is a good deal for the specs and design, just factor in another $100+ and time/labour/knowledge to clone and migrate to an M.2 SSD. It really bugs me that these modern systems are completely choked with 5400rpm molasses slow HDD.

And to the poster above about saying U can't do real work and to get a HQ, some benchmarks show the i7 8550U outperforms the i7 7700HQ. As for a 8th gen H chip, those are just hitting the market now and you won't be getting a 2 in 1 with an H series CPU.

Best spec I've ever heard of for convertible touch laptop is an Acer Nitro Spin5 or Acer Spin 5 with 8th gen U CPU paired with a GTX1050. But those will thermal throttle on heavy load because they use a singular fan/shared heat pipe design. Surface Book higher end is also one of the most powerful but also one of the most expensive.
How do U like the Acer Nitro Spin5 they have them on eBay for under 1000 is it also future proof?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
ray90 wrote: Was going to pull the trigger last night but decided to sleep on it and now it's an additional $100 off! It's part of the Webcrasher

Brilliant. Updating the first post.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Dec 31, 2006
842 posts
212 upvotes
wearysky wrote: I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can combine $25OFF$500PC with Unidays.
I tried again and you can't. It's either or.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
ray90 wrote: I tried again and you can't. It's either or.
You can't apply $25OFF$500PC and Unidays. If you get Unidays, it's still the better deal. Remember to use it with ebates, as you previously noted, Ray.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2008
1895 posts
621 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
This is a bundle? It forces me to buy Microsoft office
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
Jenniyah wrote: This is a bundle? It forces me to buy Microsoft office
It's free one year Microsoft Office 365 they're throwing in. They've upgraded the value of this purchase and lowered the price.

Its pretty hot IMO.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2008
1895 posts
621 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
redflagdealsguy wrote: It's free one year Microsoft Office 365 they're throwing in. They've upgraded the value of this purchase and lowered the price.

Its pretty hot IMO.
It cost extra 10 bucks for me....?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1157 posts
824 upvotes
Scarborough

Same. Actually couldn't get in touch with my nephew for the Unidays, worked in my favor.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
Jenniyah wrote: It cost extra 10 bucks for me....?
Depends on how you look at it because it's a forced bundle that comes out to 799. Where the laptop is 789 and the software is 10.

It's an accounting choice they've made. I view it as a free addition because the bundle price remains 799 before coupons and rebates.
Aug 23, 2010
170 posts
29 upvotes
is it worth the additional $120 for the 4 year warranty? Anyone can comment on Dell's service?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
temple03 wrote: is it worth the additional $120 for the 4 year warranty? Anyone can comment on Dell's service?
This article discusses Dell technical support and warranty.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dell-tech-support
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
Ebates records my $72.10 credit only 2 hours after my order, for those curious.
Nov 25, 2007
307 posts
203 upvotes
Burnaby, B.C.
Thanks OP! Ordered one just now for work as a possible replacement if I can't fix one I'm working on. Today's additional discount and 30-days free return shipping sold me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)