Computers & Electronics

Dell Inspiron 530 Motherboard Replacement or new PC?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2013 2:36 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 7, 2007
34 posts
22 upvotes

Dell Inspiron 530 Motherboard Replacement or new PC?

I have Dell Inspiron 530 with a DG33MO3 Foxconn motherboard and integrated video. I want to install a graphics card to enable the PC to allow for light gaming (Total War: Shogun 2 and Total War: Rome 2, which has a release date of Sept, 2013). I tried installing a MSI R6670 MD2GD3 graphics card and couldn't get it to work. The fan was spinning but the PC would not recognize the card. Through some assistance at the Dell forums, it was determined that the card was good but the clip that holds the card in the socket on the motherboard was broken off and, as a result, the graphics card would not work. I was advised to replace the motherboard at a cost of around $100. Is it worth it to replace the motherboard and install a graphics card so my son can play these types of games, or is it advised to just buy a new PC? If I was to replace the motherboard, which graphics card would you recommend? If the recommendation is a new PC, which one would you recommend on a small budget?

1.8GHz Intel Pentium E2160
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2301 posts
167 upvotes
Alberta
Try disabling the onboard graphics in the Bios and make sure Plug n Play is turned on and the PCI-e graphics port is enabled. I don't think it's the clip on the motherboard either. Remove the drivers for the onboard video and see if it finds the MSI card. You might want to try updating the MSI drivers also.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2773 posts
776 upvotes
Do you know how to build PCs? If so, I would just buy new parts and build a more updated machine altogether. Shouldn't run you more than $300 for a low spec gaming PC, since you already have a graphics card.

OR, unless you can find a suitable motherboard replacement for under $40-50. But old working parts are hard to coke by.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2007
34 posts
22 upvotes
willy wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 3:43 pm
I don't think the clip is the direct cause of the problem ... Have you tried both the VGA and DVI (/HDMI) ports on the video card ?
Yes, I tried VGA and DVI ports. Nether of them would work.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2007
34 posts
22 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 3:54 pm
Try disabling the onboard graphics in the Bios and make sure Plug n Play is turned on and the PCI-e graphics port is enabled. I don't think it's the clip on the motherboard either. Remove the drivers for the onboard video and see if it finds the MSI card. You might want to try updating the MSI drivers also.
I tried these suggestions during my troubleshooting in the Dell forums. None of this worked, either. This was a while ago, so I forgot some of the details. I think we determined that there was actually a problem with the slot, possibly a side effect of the clip being broken.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2007
34 posts
22 upvotes
VIIVIIIXIII wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 3:56 pm
Do you know how to build PCs? If so, I would just buy new parts and build a more updated machine altogether. Shouldn't run you more than $300 for a low spec gaming PC, since you already have a graphics card.

OR, unless you can find a suitable motherboard replacement for under $40-50. But old working parts are hard to coke by.
I have never built a PC but I am sure I could figure it out. This might be an option. I actually don't have the graphics card anymore. I returned it thinking it was defective.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2007
34 posts
22 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 4:16 pm
Could be a problem with the MB. You could always pick up something like this, it's cheap enough at $59.99 but needs DDR3 memory which is around $20 for 2GB.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... 8qbd6gbd12
How hard is it to switch out the motherboard? I can't imagine it would be too difficult and I should be able to do this myself. Will this one work/fit in my PC for sure? I don't mind doing the upgrade for this cost.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2773 posts
776 upvotes
lobsterboy wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 4:45 pm
I have never built a PC but I am sure I could figure it out. This might be an option. I actually don't have the graphics card anymore. I returned it thinking it was defective.
Ah I see. Well, you have the option to fix up the old machine, or buy a new machine altogether. I won't tell you what to do, but don't invest too much in old technology. You usually get better value for your money when you buy technology that is one generation old... On sale..
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
will a dell inspiron 530 even take a non dell MB or other parts or are they proprietary as many companies at least used to do?
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
787 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I can unequivocally tell you that troubleshooting via phone (especially Dell technical support) will produce an incorrect solution. Since the desktop is no longer under warranty, I am guessing you had to pay for this technical assistance and therefore you feel that you should follow this road of solution. Well, don't. Without hesitation, if you are willing to attempt the options provided by the knowledgeable few here, I would try everything from the scratch.
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
18658 posts
680 upvotes
DG33MO3 appears to be a regular mATX mobo ...

If the video card is indeed ok, you can replace the mobo with this ... http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=046071

You will need to replace your DDR2 RAM though .....

With this mobo, there's an added 'bonus' ... you can mildly overclock your E2160 for better CPU performance. E2160 is a good chip.
× < >