Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 27, 2014
70 posts
25 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

Dell laptop died 3 months out of warrenty

So my Dell XPS 15 decided to crap out on me today for good while I'm studying for midterms. The power button only lights up for a few seconds before turning off again and the battery no longer charges at all. I hear absolutely nothing running inside the laptop, no fan or any crackle of life. I suspect motherboard failure and it sounds costly.

So my options now are:

Renew warranty and hope they repair right after renewal (I need to call in for a quote)

Dell out of service repair

Find a third party repair shop in Toronto and pray

What's my best option right now? I didn't renew when it expired because I had no issues before now and I figured a $1600 laptop would be built to last. Well that was a screwup.
28 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9833 posts
1047 upvotes
Call their support and ask for courtesy support
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4672 posts
558 upvotes
KanieWest wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:09 pm
So my Dell XPS 15 decided to crap out on me today for good while I'm studying for midterms. The power button only lights up for a few seconds before turning off again and the battery no longer charges at all. I hear absolutely nothing running inside the laptop, no fan or any crackle of life. I suspect motherboard failure and it sounds costly.

So my options now are:

Renew warranty and hope they repair right after renewal (I need to call in for a quote)

What's my best option right now? I didn't renew when it expired because I had no issues before now and I figured a $1600 laptop would be built to last. Well that was a screwup.
Maybe buy a cheap desktop to hold you over. You can try renewing now but there may be a grace period between payment and start of warranty period (I'm not sure). I had an issue with my laptop a while ago and it was 2 weeks out of warranty they would not budge but it's worth a shot.
Come join the Crypto discussion :

https://chat.whatsapp.com/33kLOgl0JXD7GLH0N0tspk

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Oct 18, 2004
175 posts
44 upvotes
Windsor
I'd call and ask them to fix it as a goodwill gesture. Also if you bought it on credit card some of the cards double the warranty. Something to consider for the future for large ticket items.
Sep 16, 2006
671 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
I suspect motherboard or power supply failure. Both potentially expensive. I'd pick up an off brand compatible power supply for forty bucks and see if it fixes anything. If it doesn't, return it. There are places that can repair these things but it may be cost prohibitive when compared to a new laptop, which can be had for $400 these days.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1398 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
Did you purchase it with a credit card? If so, check if the credit card extends your warranty for another year as many do.
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2437 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
One of my Asus laptop died 1 day after the warranty on 367th day and as usual, they can't possibly honor the warranty even a courtesy one. Called amex explained the situation and they sent me a check month later. Warranty dept did ask if this was the first time and since they can't find any other claims, they just wrote me a check. So if you do credit card warranty claims alot, then it might be a hassle but if it's once in a while thing, they try that route.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1416 upvotes
Richmond
Try removing the battery but keep it plugged in. That will at least let you check if the battery is the problem.
Dec 15, 2015
27 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Do you have the receipt to match up when the warranty started?

My purchase date was 6 months later than when the warranty started, I noticed it right away and contacted HP. They asked me to show them my receipt (which I did, had a digital copy) via Live Chat. They quickly reviewed it, and changed the date of my warranty to begin when I purchased it.

Just something to look at, might get you back a few months of coverage.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
KanieWest wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:09 pm

So my options now are:

Not sure how you paid for the laptop (if credit card/cash/debit etc) but since it's your midterms and you definitely need a laptop to study on (been through this mysefl! Disappointed But Relieved Face ) I'd suggest taking it to a repair center to see if it can be fixed. Generally, I repair laptops and desktops myself, but in the odd case where I can not fix it and it's time consuming, I usually take it to a repair center on Tretheway/black creek. This place is affiliated with York University so I had some incentives that time when I took it in (not sure if they still honor it). But they are straight forward, knowledgeable, and the cheapest (compared to other places I've been too). They fixed my DC port (which broke off the MB) for $80. You can say I am endorsing them (I really don't care) but they are truly amazing and they're turn around time is usually 1 - 2 days (given the repair). Here is the info, and trust me take it once you will save $$$ & Time in the long run! ..

Star Computer Services
620 Trethewey Dr
North York, ON
M6M 4C3

Phone: (416) 247-8270
[OP]
Nov 27, 2014
70 posts
25 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
JPTN wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 3:06 pm
Did you purchase it with a credit card? If so, check if the credit card extends your warranty for another year as many do.
Unfortunately I did check the terms of my credit card and I found this under exclusions for extended warranty:

(b) computer hardware, accessories or peripherals, computer repair or software;

Incredible how credit cards can promise so much except the things you actually need
[OP]
Nov 27, 2014
70 posts
25 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
LaZeRACED wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:27 pm
I'd call and ask them to fix it as a goodwill gesture. Also if you bought it on credit card some of the cards double the warranty. Something to consider for the future for large ticket items.
Thanks for the tip but it looks they they won't do it. The Dell call center in India asked for $405 for the repairs and my credit card doubles warranty but excludes computers.

That's almost a month of rent for me as a student. I'm not gonna have enough for food next year but I have to do it. My program requires Illustrator and Unity and I doubt cheap laptops are gonna run those smoothly.

Oh and I know it's a call center in India because I could barely understand them and they asked for my current time zone.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1673 posts
495 upvotes
KanieWest wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:00 pm
Unfortunately I did check the terms of my credit card and I found this under exclusions for extended warranty:

(b) computer hardware, accessories or peripherals, computer repair or software;

Incredible how credit cards can promise so much except the things you actually need
which credit card is this?? I know the older TD Gold Elite didn't exclude computer hardware. Not sure about the TD Infinity that everyone was forced to go to.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2014
70 posts
25 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
badOne wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:05 pm
which credit card is this?? I know the older TD Gold Elite didn't exclude computer hardware. Not sure about the TD Infinity that everyone was forced to go to.
I have the PC Financial World Elite Mastercard. It sounds fancy but like I said, they'll cover everything except whats actually needed.

https://www.pcfinancial.ca/media/pdf/le ... ficate.pdf