• Mar 24th, 2018 10:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
2113 posts
231 upvotes
London

[Dell] NAS - Synology Disk Station DS418Play

$15 off select electronics and accessories priced over $199, Code: $15OFF$199+ to bring dwon to $494.99 (Exp. 03/01/2018)

$15 back on a Dell Promo Card + 8% cash back from Ebates
77 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1374 posts
647 upvotes
Montreal, QC
hardywang wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 5:39 pm
Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 4TB 256MB Cache for $99.99, or $25/TB -
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... ce=afc-%zn
It also includes Seagate Gift Assassin's Creed Origins, a $59.99 value.
Nice price, but I hope you don't plan to use these drives in a NAS server ? You will eventually regret it. Spend a little more and get some NAS rated drives. These will drop out of raid as soon as they start to age a little and start to reallocate sectors.
These drives are great as additional single drives in a PC, but not for NAS use.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2012
1113 posts
466 upvotes
EDMONTON
hardywang wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 5:39 pm
Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 4TB 256MB Cache for $99.99, or $25/TB -
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... ce=afc-%zn
It also includes Seagate Gift Assassin's Creed Origins, a $59.99 value.
Should only use Seagate Ironwolf, Western Digital Red, or hgst DeskStar for NAS usage; other types of desktop drives will grind & grind and will fail fairly soon.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9389 posts
949 upvotes
Is the syn the lowest price?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Aug 5, 2012
99 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 6:05 pm
Is the syn the lowest price?
This isn't an all time low. I bought this exact one from Dell about a month ago for $475 + tax (Total of $537) - 10% from Ebates. Still a solid deal though
Aug 5, 2012
99 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
418Play. It wasn't black friday, it was like a week after. I got it on December 2nd. Stacked a few coupons + 10% Ebate
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
2113 posts
231 upvotes
London
Emporium wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 5:48 pm

Nice price, but I hope you don't plan to use these drives in a NAS server ? You will eventually regret it. Spend a little more and get some NAS rated drives. These will drop out of raid as soon as they start to age a little and start to reallocate sectors.
These drives are great as additional single drives in a PC, but not for NAS use.
delldeals8 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 6:00 pm

Should only use Seagate Ironwolf, Western Digital Red, or hgst DeskStar for NAS usage; other types of desktop drives will grind & grind and will fail fairly soon.
You are absolutely right by theory. But I also heard other voices, for example
or
which is an old video but read all the newer comments of it, very interesting. I have seen other people reported to use regular HDD as NAS drive for 6 years without problem. I also have seen people reported WD red failed in 2 years as NAS drives.

It is a risk for sure, but if I measure it against the way I use NAS I am willing to take it. For me the NAS is merely my cold storage, I don't use it as media server, file server. Perhaps the NAS disk usage is much lower than my desktop disk. I will configure my NAS to spin down drives after being idle for some time.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1374 posts
647 upvotes
Montreal, QC
hardywang wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 7:15 pm
You are absolutely right by theory. But I also heard other voices, for example ...
which is an old video but read all the newer comments of it, very interesting. I have seen other people reported to use regular HDD as NAS drive for 6 years without problem. I also have seen people reported WD red failed in 2 years as NAS drives.

It is a risk for sure, but if I measure it against the way I use NAS I am willing to take it. For me the NAS is merely my cold storage, I don't use it as media server, file server. Perhaps the NAS disk usage is much lower than my desktop disk. I will configure my NAS to spin down drives after being idle for some time.
Hmmmm... The first video is a joke :) High end drives, and the one on the left is a basic barracuda ? Come on.. Tell me it was a Constellation ES.3 or something like that, then I hear ya.. He says he has used 4 Green drives for 4 years without an issue.. Great.. I have also used 5 Seagate 2TB LP drives which were notorious for failures, and have had no issues. But would I trust my critical data on it, hell no... I use it for housing my downloaded movies and Music, which I really don't care if something goes wrong.

Second video one is OK, and doesn't recommend against using them, but does recommend to exercise caution.

TLER is a big game changer for RAID. There are some RAID controllers which are REALLY picky in terms of timing. I have some SuperMicro boxes with 3Ware controllers, and as a temporary measure I tried using some basic Seagate desktop drives to replace a dead drive, since I was going to retire the array anyhow in a short while anyhow (so just wanted to gain a little time to migrate the data), and it could not even rebuild the disk without dropping it out of the array. Tried 3 different units, and all had same result. I put an old WD RED, and it worked no problem.

I go through over 3000 drives/year in various environments (single workstations, Servers, SAN, NAS, etc..). regular Barracuda or WD Blue are banned from being used in any production machine, due to the high number of failures. I have no time to replace and rebuild machines every time they fail. The price difference from the regular drives to the NAS raited drives, is not huge. Why risk it ?

Rumor has it, that many of the original WD RED drives were just GREEN drives, with different firmware. The original WD Green drives you could even modify the TLER option in the firmware :) Then WD caught on, they blocked the loophole, and released the RED. Initially, the price difference was substantial. Nowadays it is not huge.

Also, most enterprise class drives (Constellation, or WD Gold) run a lot cooler and quieter than most desktop class drives.

Infant mortality on drives can happen on any type of drive. Before putting any drives into a production environment, I put them all through a week long torture test with some in-house scripts we have created to simulate 24/7 read/write operations from multiple users/threads.

Also, regardless of what people say, cooling and power quality does make a huge difference on drive longevity. Use a drive in a 35C room, in a machine with crappy ventilation, and with a crappy Chinese power supply which claims to be 600W, but has all sorts of NOISE, and it will fail a lot sooner compared to my server with a high quality 750W power supply (very little noise), which is in a controlled 18C room, with 6 fans blowing straight through, and connected to even a basic APC SmartUPS online UPS to protect against brownouts, etc..

Oh ya, and for infant mortality, let's not forget some of the crappy online retailers that have no clue on how to pack/ship drives. I once ordered a pair of drives from newegg, and they showed up in a box of packing popcorn, and simply protected by anti-static bags. So I can't even imagine how many times those drive collided in the box as ace ventura delivered the parcel ;)

You can buy what you want obviously.. But for the small additional pricetag, I'd go with NAS grade drives..
Feb 15, 2017
119 posts
31 upvotes
hardywang wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 3:13 pm
BTW
Newegg only shipped 1 drive even I ordered 2, and Dell silently cancelled my NAS box order Smiling Face With Horns
Sorry to hear that OP, that was a sneaky move, the NAS was quite a good price. Was considering that vs 418j. I like the Btrfs format in 418play, but I don't think it is worth paying the extra $200+ now that the 418play price is $634.

BTW, newegg also had HGST Deskstar NAS 8TB drive for $269 at boxing day. That was a good alternative for a bit ($69 + taxes and the game) more. The double density means an extra empty NAS slot (8TB vs 4TB+4TB), and the drive is built for NAS.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28710381
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18028 posts
4354 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
delldeals8 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 6:00 pm
Nonsense. I have been using "any old drive" that I've had around at various times for years in multiple diskstations that I own and have never had a problem. You absolutely do not NEED "nas" drives for home use it's not like you're going to be using it as a fileserver for 80 users 5-7 days a week.

Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket, and you're fine, this is something anybody with data they care about would do regardless.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2012
1113 posts
466 upvotes
EDMONTON
BinaryJay wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 5:24 pm
Nonsense. I have been using "any old drive" that I've had around at various times for years in multiple diskstations that I own and have never had a problem. You absolutely do not NEED "nas" drives for home use it's not like you're going to be using it as a fileserver for 80 users 5-7 days a week.

Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket, and you're fine, this is something anybody with data they care about would do regardless.
OK, its up to you.

I have a Seagate desktop HDD in the Lenovo-ix2 NAS that grids all day long and the first drive failed in 4 months and the second one in the 7th month.
Mar 23, 2017
29 posts
13 upvotes
Halifax
hardywang wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 3:13 pm

BTW
Newegg only shipped 1 drive even I ordered 2, and Dell silently cancelled my NAS box order Smiling Face With Horns
Dell canceled my order too and I didn't even get an email. They told me that they didn't get the payment and my bank should answer why they refused my credit card payment. My bank told me that Dell attempted to bill my CC but transaction was canceled by Dell. I ordered the NAS at the time when ebates offered 6% and now it's only 2%.