• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2017 9:20 am
Tags:
Jun 14, 2017
89 posts
10 upvotes

DELL Order Issues

Hey all, was wondering if anyone else had this issue with Dell

I want to buy laptop as a gift, however the order is delayed due to 'payment' issues.

I placed an order for a laptop using my debit card (it shows that they charged me), everything seemed fine until a few days later. I get calls from 1-800 numbers stating that my order is delayed and need payment info update, not sure if this is fraudulent as my online bank page says i was already charged... I rarely check my emails but I checked and saw that I received a couple of emails titled "Order Held ", in the email it states
"Thank you for choosing Dell! Please be advised that Dell is unable to process your recent order(s) due to invalid or missing credit card information. It may be that the information provided does not match the credit card company's records. Please contact Dell to provide this information so we can complete your order.
Please note that failure to contact us within 1 business day may result in cancellation of your order. To expedite the handling of your call, please have your order number (see below) when calling. We apologize for any inconvenience this additional security step may cause. Dell is committed to providing a safe and secure shopping experience for our customers."
I havent had the time to contact them as ive been working 10hr shifts, and as a result i miss their window to contact them. wtf :(

3 questions:
1. Are they going to cancel my order? Im thinking of just buying the laptop elsewhere as this wont arrive in time due to the delay.
2. Why did they charge me and still have issues with my payment??
3. How long does it take to refund my money?

I've read some horror stories with dell.. was wondering if anyone else knows what the procedure is

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
notnub wrote: I havent had the time to contact them as ive been working 10hr shifts, and as a result i miss their window to contact them. wtf :(
But you have time to post this here ;)
1. Are they going to cancel my order?
"failure to contact us within 1 business day may result in cancellation of your order"

"May" doesn't mean "will."
Im thinking of just buying the laptop elsewhere as this wont arrive in time due to the delay.
If you don't contact them then how do you know if the unit will arrive on time?
2. Why did they charge me and still have issues with my payment??
There are several possible reasons. You'll have to contact Dell to find out which one applies to your situation.
3. How long does it take to refund my money?
Again, there are several possible answers depending on your order status, e.g. cancelled, being processed, shipped, etc. Again, you'll have to contact the
I've read some horror stories with dell.
So have I yet I've never had a significant problem with them after buying dozens of PCs worth maybe $100k in total since they were originally called PCs Limited back in the 1980s. I've also read many horror stories about other companies I've dealt with, some that correspond with my experience (Sears, Crappy Tyre, et al) and other that don't.

Again, take the time to contact Dell. Only they can provide authoritative answers to your questions.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote: But you have time to post this here ;)
you know, trying to look smart and actually being smart are two totally different things, and it's quite obvious to everyone that the OP was too busy during the "1 business day" call-back period, and only posted here *after* the time had elapsed.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JackWhyte wrote: you know, trying to look smart and actually being smart are two totally different things, and it's quite obvious to everyone that the OP was too busy during the "1 business day" call-back period, and only posted here *after* the time had elapsed.
So busy in fact that apparently neither he nor you had time to read what Dell actually wrote, i.e. that his order "may" get cancelled rather than it "would" get cancelled. IOW even if the 1 day period had elapsed there might still be time to straighten out the payment issue and keep the the order alive.

In any case, perhaps in addition to sharing your great insight into the distinction between looking and being smart, perhaps you'd be kind enough to actually offer the OP some answers to his questions and/or give him some actionable advice (as for example I did.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 14, 2017
89 posts
10 upvotes
I work shifts that overlap their call hours 10-7pm est, so have not been able to contact them as the call hours are unavailable to me

Can’t call at work I ll try giving them a call after work and see if they’re still open
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
notnub wrote: I work shifts that overlap their call hours 10-7pm est, so have not been able to contact them as the call hours are unavailable to me
You can reach them 24x7 via Email Order Support.

Their call center is actually open "Monday-Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (CST)" which is 8am to 8pm EST (assuming that's where you are.)

P.S. Still the only person in this thread who has actually provided any meaningful assistance to the OP.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 14, 2017
89 posts
10 upvotes
bylo wrote: You can reach them 24x7 via Email Order Support.

Their call center is actually open "Monday-Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (CST)" which is 8am to 8pm EST (assuming that's where you are.)

P.S. Still the only person in this thread who has actually provided any meaningful assistance to the OP.
Thanks for the number but I called the one just a bit after 7pm.
I got a hold of them today luckily, they said they couldn’t confirm my identity and asked for my home landline, told them I didn’t have one. They asked for my work email . I gave it to them and they said they would approve the process.. just curious, does anyone know why they need just an email to confirm my identity? that was it and we ended our convo. I hope. I’ll wait it out and see if it will deliver on time as ETA
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
notnub wrote: I work shifts that overlap their call hours 10-7pm est, so have not been able to contact them as the call hours are unavailable to me
It's truly amazing how Bylo here thinks he knows the intimate details of your life and schedule better than you do. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
They want to try and confirm that this isn't a fraud order. I had this a couple of times. One time it was from Crocs. They wanted to verify a couple of pieces of information that I believe they got from the bank. They also need you to call from the same number that is attached to your credit card. But I guess in your case it would be the same number attached to your debit card. The work email address is weird though but I guess they wanted to see where you work just to make sure that you are local.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Jun 14, 2017
89 posts
10 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: It's truly amazing how Bylo here thinks he knows the intimate details of your life and schedule better than you do. :facepalm:
ds2chan wrote: They want to try and confirm that this isn't a fraud order. I had this a couple of times. One time it was from Crocs. They wanted to verify a couple of pieces of information that I believe they got from the bank. They also need you to call from the same number that is attached to your credit card. But I guess in your case it would be the same number attached to your debit card. The work email address is weird though but I guess they wanted to see where you work just to make sure that you are local.
Thanks for responses yeah I legitimately wasn't able to get a hold of them in time due to scheduling for a cuple of days , just wanted to be prepared . I guess that makes sense , so it seems like the payment went through on my bank end and their end but they just held the order just to verifiy it was me, seems considerate of them. I hope theres no delay, i sent an email to them requesting an update. hopefully all goes well from here Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol