Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
DellRefurbished.ca

Vostros 2420 i3 laptop...$219 CAD

Dec 10, 2010
229 posts
353 upvotes
Mississauga

[DellRefurbished.ca] Vostros 2420 i3 laptop...$219 CAD

Was just passing through the website to see what might be available for this months sale and noticed a slew of Vostros i3 laptops for $219 if your looking for a basic laptop for a student. Comes with Windows 7 Pro ( $150 alone for the software). I bought a lattitude 6420 at last months sale for the same price but with a higher res screen.

They have about 9 of these in stock right now if you need one.

33 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4021 posts
2372 upvotes
Ottawa
The i3 in this one or is the N3700 in the Acer 11 a better CPU?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1306 posts
1543 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Doesn't specify what they do for refurb, do they give you a new battery? if not just buying time before troubles start up.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
B Grade. Given their history of passing off B-grades as A-grades, I can only imagine how beat up these will be.
eugene188 wrote: The i3 in this one or is the N3700 in the Acer 11 a better CPU?
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+1.60GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+2.20GHz
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Jun 5, 2010
643 posts
1034 upvotes
Ottawa
Note the $219 ones are Grade B, the Grade A (single one) is $249. From the site:

Grading criteria is based solely on cosmetic condition. Products classified as GRADE B will have minor cosmetic blemishes and typically have a lower List Price than Grade A products. However, both grades feature the same functionality and performance, and both grades include the same warranties and customer support.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
sirxterminator wrote: Doesn't specify what they do for refurb, do they give you a new battery? if not just buying time before troubles start up.
They don't give you a new battery, so it is bit of a YMMV as to the health of the battery. But if the battery is dead, or close to death, they will ship out another one to you pronto, with no hassle. I have had great after-sale support from dellrefurbished.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
2741 posts
467 upvotes
I have one, it's not that great. I remember These were as low as $299 new with Ubuntu installed. $350 for Windows 7. A Lenovo T420 i5 for $50 more bucks is a much better deal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
Get a t series think pad.

These grade b dells will have been run over by a truck and wretched looking.

Thinkpads don't cost they much more for a t420.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
JohnB wrote: Get a t series think pad.

They're not that bad! No doubt once in awhile a bad one will slip thru the cracks, but I've bought 2 in the past couple of years, and both were very good. One had a dead battery, and they replaced it very quickly.
Sep 11, 2008
149 posts
135 upvotes
Red Deer
Rogido wrote: They don't give you a new battery, so it is bit of a YMMV as to the health of the battery. But if the battery is dead, or close to death, they will ship out another one to you pronto, with no hassle. I have had great after-sale support from dellrefurbished.
It must have to be pretty bad. I got one that came up with a red X on the battery icon and a message to replace the battery soon. When I called about it I was told that that was OK and that lots of their computers were shipped like that. On the other hand, other than the battery I have had great luck with grade B laptops otherwise.
Dec 10, 2010
229 posts
353 upvotes
Mississauga
JohnB wrote: Get a t series think pad.

I bought a B- grade at the last sale and the only defect was a sticker shadow on the exterior of the display case. Mint all around. The battery was pooched but Dell is sending me a replacement for free. I upgraded the Ram to 8 Meg and put a SSD in the 6420 and it flies for a 4 year old computer. My teenager has not complained one bit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
partsguy100 wrote: I bought a B- grade at the last sale and the only defect was a sticker shadow on the exterior of the display case. Mint all around. The battery was pooched but Dell is sending me a replacement for free. I upgraded the Ram to 8 Meg and put a SSD in the 6420 and it flies for a 4 year old computer. My teenager has not complained one bit.
Fair enough. I retract what I wrote then. It is a good price and with your upgrades lots of life left.

Glad you're happy with it.
Dec 17, 2009
679 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP! Picking one of these up for my Hackintosh collection :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3378 posts
214 upvotes
Kingston
For those ever in need of a battery or power adapter, I've used battdepot.com for years. It usually costs me more for shipping than what I am buying. This laptop, replacement batteries are $19.99 and Power Adapters are $9.99 CDN, shipping is from within Canada.

http://www.battdepot.com/ca/device/mode ... +2420.aspx

Edit: Shipping for a battery is $14.99 Ground shipping (3-7 Days) or $16.99 for Express (1-3 Business days)

I've always gone with the Express for the $2.00 extra when it comes to my Power Adapters as I feel lost without my laptop sitting beside me at home. :)
Aug 27, 2011
556 posts
157 upvotes
BELLEVILLE
will the vostro's fit on the docks they sell?
Sep 23, 2010
340 posts
58 upvotes
I've been in the market for a cheap windows book for my parents, after checking this out I went for that T410 from boxxaroo with the SSD for $259, I figured I'd waste more than $40 on swapping the dvd to sdd. But the T410 is so old, I think the CPU came out in 2010, so I assume the thinkpad itself is over 5 years old.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
2116 posts
1137 upvotes
eugene188 wrote: The i3 in this one or is the N3700 in the Acer 11 a better CPU?
It's a sandy bridge era CPU. Very fast but not very power efficient. The N3700 will be slower but FAR more power efficient.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
oos
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Banned
Jun 14, 2007
1674 posts
409 upvotes
spinbot wrote: For those ever in need of a battery or power adapter, I've used battdepot.com for years. It usually costs me more for shipping than what I am buying. This laptop, replacement batteries are $19.99 and Power Adapters are $9.99 CDN, shipping is from within Canada.

http://www.battdepot.com/ca/device/mode ... +2420.aspx

Edit: Shipping for a battery is $14.99 Ground shipping (3-7 Days) or $16.99 for Express (1-3 Business days)

I've always gone with the Express for the $2.00 extra when it comes to my Power Adapters as I feel lost without my laptop sitting beside me at home. :)

thanks