Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7569 posts
1974 upvotes

Dell restocking fee

I am mad. I've been ordering from dell for many years. Last week I ordered a laptop and after it was shipped I realized that I ordered the incorrect laptop - wrong cpu. I want to return the unopened package but dell wants to charge me a 15% restocking fee!

I dont get it? I expect this from stores like tigerdirect but never expected it from dell. Any one here able to get this fee waived?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4190 posts
1462 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
blexann wrote:
Dec 17th, 2013 10:03 pm
I am mad. I've been ordering from dell for many years. Last week I ordered a laptop and after it was shipped I realized that I ordered the incorrect laptop - wrong cpu. I want to return the unopened package but dell wants to charge me a 15% restocking fee!

I dont get it? I expect this from stores like tigerdirect but never expected it from dell. Any one here able to get this fee waived?
If it's unopened, complain and they will remove the restocking fee. I had a similar experience with a monitor once.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
blexann wrote:

You ordered the item and confirmed it as being correct They prepped it and sent it in good faith. It was your mistake and not theirs, so a restocking fee is not unreasonable, especially since it's outlined in the terms of sale you agreed to when making the order.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16226 posts
8555 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
blexann wrote:
after it was shipped I realized that I ordered the incorrect laptop - wrong cpu... I want to return the unopened package but dell wants to charge me a 15% restocking fee!
It's your mistake. Full stop. End of argument. You're at their mercy.

Do you intend to order a replacement notebook with the "right" CPU from Dell? If so they should waive the 15% restocking fee as a goodwill gesture.

If not, you don't have a leg to stand on and Dell doesn't owe you anything. You wasted their resources for nothing. Live and learn—and be more careful next time you click the order confirm button.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7569 posts
1974 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 8:20 am
It's your mistake. Full stop. End of argument. You're at their mercy.

Do you intend to order a replacement notebook with the "right" CPU from Dell? If so they should waive the 15% restocking fee as a goodwill gesture.

If not, you don't have a leg to stand on and Dell doesn't owe you anything. You wasted their resources for nothing. Live and learn—and be more careful next time you click the order confirm button.

lol

you a low paid dell order taker?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16226 posts
8555 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
At the risk of further wasting my time, what's so funny?

(And no, I don't work for Dell.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1092 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 10:40 am
lol

you a low paid dell order taker?
Wow, what astute reasoning skills you possess. :facepalm:
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7569 posts
1974 upvotes
I called back and explained my situation ..went back and forth a bit with them they offered to give me a $50 credit but I just wanted to return the unopened laptop. Recieved a full refund and re-stocking fee was also waived.

Just thought I'd let others know incase you do run into this situation with Dell.
Sep 2, 2012
191 posts
18 upvotes
I wouldn't buy from them if there is a restocking fee, not unless I'm certain I want the product
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
Wait until Best Buy introduces this on their products. :cheesygri If you were buying another product of same or greater value then I think waiving the re-stocking fee is not unreasonable.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2534 posts
1554 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
tessar wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 3:15 pm
I wouldn't buy from them if there is a restocking fee, not unless I'm certain I want the product
I think the whole idea of restocking fees is to reduce the number of people who purchase, then return because they decide they don't want the product. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but that they just…don't…want it any longer.

So in your case, they're meeting that goal and their expenses have been reduced appropriately.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7569 posts
1974 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 9:35 pm
If Dell lets customers like OP return an unopened computer because OP mistakenly bought computer with wrong chip, the cost of the shipping will be shifted over to every future Dell customer in the form of higher prices. What's really sad is that OP didn't even buy a Dell replacement computer.

sad?

I have made numerous purchases from Dell including desktops, laptops, and electronic accessories and will continue to do so. Maybe my purchase history was a factor in them waiving the fee.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4190 posts
1462 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
blexann wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 2:57 pm
I called back and explained my situation ..went back and forth a bit with them they offered to give me a $50 credit but I just wanted to return the unopened laptop. Recieved a full refund and re-stocking fee was also waived.

Just thought I'd let others know incase you do run into this situation with Dell.
That's what I told you - 3 weeks ago.