Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Dell: Sanyo VPC-CG9 $230, Waterpoof 720p VPC-WH1 $430 & More Cameras/Camcorders

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2009 1:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto

[Dell] Dell: Sanyo VPC-CG9 $230, Waterpoof 720p VPC-WH1 $430 & More Cameras/Camcorders

It looks like there's fair bit to cover from Dell today. On top of their other promotions, they have some noteworthy discounts on some camcorders and cameras.

There are quite a few Sanyo camcorders in the mix, including one for $230, and a 720p waterproof model for $430. The Canon SX110 has pretty big optical zoom if that interests you, and I think the most recent low price was $239.99. Rounding out the bunch is the JVC 1080p GZ-HD40U. Crunchgear.com mentions "Impressive picture quality, 1080p Full HD resolution, 120GB HDD,small form factor, good color in low light" among the pros.
15 replies
Jul 10, 2007
802 posts
12 upvotes
BUT If you're interested in this

the local Superstore has been selling it for $180 for quite a while. ;)
This Dell special makes me think maybe I should get it
from Superstore. (since it isn't on sale there I was trying to convince myself it was still a great deal. :razz:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
2117 posts
1305 upvotes
Toronto
The Sanyo VPC-CA9 Waterproof HD camcorder (pistol-style sister model to VPC-WH1) was on sale for $299.99 last Tuesday; that was a very good price.

I just received the VPC-FH1 from Dell but haven't tried it yet. Got it for the unique 1080p60 video, 8MP picture and small size (can carry it all the time).
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
2105 posts
686 upvotes
I also got the VPC-FH1 and I am very happy with it. It is by far the best flash based camera out there. It is loaded with features much better priced than Sony, Canon and JVC.
Oct 11, 2004
816 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
Bought yesterday the VPC-FH1. Received it first thing this morning. Looks so damn small. Smaller than a camera.

Nice quality, but shaky a by. The DIS is not that good when you have full zoom.
I also ordered a Hague Mini Motion Cam Stabilizer for it. :D

Now, I am looking for a 16GB SDHC. No deals on atm. :( Got only one micro 1GB SD.

Does anyone know if class 4 is fast enough? Shuffling in the books and online yields nothing on this.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
2117 posts
1305 upvotes
Toronto
temporary user wrote: Bought yesterday the VPC-FH1. Received it first thing this morning. Looks so damn small. Smaller than a camera.

Nice quality, but shaky a by. The DIS is not that good when you have full zoom.
I also ordered a Hague Mini Motion Cam Stabilizer for it. :D

Now, I am looking for a 16GB SDHC. No deals on atm. :( Got only one micro 1GB SD.

Does anyone know if class 4 is fast enough? Shuffling in the books and online yields nothing on this.
The highest video bit-rate is 24Mbps == 3MB/sec. Class 4 is supposed to mean "minimum sequential write speed of 4MB/sec" so it should be enough theoretically. But personally I'll go for Class 6 (it's not much more expensive) instead of Class 4.

I'm used to Optical IS on digicams, and the Digital/Electronic IS result is a bit disappointing ... I really wish it has OIS but Sanyo had been sticking with EIS through many iterations of their camcorders, so it may not come for a long time. And there is nothing else with similar specs (1080 60p in particular) on the market.

Would appreciate hearing about your experience with the steadycam in the future (PM me or post in Photography subforum); thanks.
Oct 11, 2004
816 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
Deemo wrote: Or the DIY version:

http://steadycam.org/
I needed portability. :(
ssiu wrote: Would appreciate hearing about your experience with the steadycam in the future (PM me or post in Photography subforum); thanks.
Testing it now. Will post some videos/photos later on.
Photos don't have clarity. It's like contrast is missing. Maybe I need to play with the settings.

I have a 3GHz (E6850) with a Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX card, and 1080p60p video is not fluid for some reason. Tried WMP with CCCP pack, VLC, QuickTime. Nothing. Maybe I need to find a better mp4 codec.

Also, the video looks like it skips, especially when you turn to look around. Most likely settings.

Will post some review on it when done.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4506 posts
2548 upvotes
Thornhill
temporary user wrote: I have a 3GHz (E6850) with a Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX card, and 1080p60p video is not fluid for some reason. Tried WMP with CCCP pack, VLC, QuickTime. Nothing. Maybe I need to find a better mp4 codec.
You can try out the open source Media Player Classic - Home Cinema for GPU accelerated playback. And you don't need any extra codec or installation except that program. Go to the support page in the link above and check instructions as to how to enable GPU accelerated playback (different in XP vs Vista).

If your GeForce is of a more recent one with bitstream mode, you will see that CPU utilization would drop to single digit, and you'd get butter smooth playback!
Jan 6, 2008
358 posts
145 upvotes
Ottawa
The VPC-FH1 looks tempting for its price and features but I could not find any reviews online. Anyone found any or have some demo videos that they could host?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4506 posts
2548 upvotes
Thornhill
magixx wrote: The VPC-FH1 looks tempting for its price and features but I could not find any reviews online. Anyone found any or have some demo videos that they could host?
You can find a number of test shots in vimeo.com, and some of them have original clips for download if you register. FH1 has good video, and good low light shots. The main drawback is the poor image stabilization of its digital IS system (compared with optical IS by Sony and Cannon).
Jan 23, 2002
261 posts
25 upvotes
Markham
nosnoop wrote: You can find a number of test shots in vimeo.com, and some of them have original clips for download if you register. FH1 has good video, and good low light shots. The main drawback is the poor image stabilization of its digital IS system (compared with optical IS by Sony and Cannon).
To those who have bought the FH1, is the digital IS THAT poor compared to optical IS? This is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger as you can't beat the price compared with Canon and Sony models.

I did check out some videos on vimeo and the Canon looked better in terms of colours and low light shooting. The FH1 looked almost too sharp causing the colours to be a bit faded compared to the Canon.

Also read that importing the video at 60p with iMovie causes problems.

Would appreciate some feedback with your experiences.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
3030 posts
348 upvotes
ok stupid question, but do all HD cameras by defualt shoot in wide screen? or do i have to later go buy another wide screen lens for it or something?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
3749 posts
6586 upvotes
Calgary
jadoocian wrote: ok stupid question, but do all HD cameras by defualt shoot in wide screen? or do i have to later go buy another wide screen lens for it or something?
My guess is since it does record 1080p, it probably does record in 16:9 otherwise it wouldn't be 1080p. :D
Oct 1, 2006
51 posts
3 upvotes
Might be a stupid question but...

Why do these say they are full HD and then say 1080i? Wouldn't full HD be 1080p?