Shopping Discussion

Dell sent me an exchange that was a different model

  • Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2012 6:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 12, 2006
896 posts
4 upvotes
Markham

Dell sent me an exchange that was a different model

My 2209wa monitor has something wrong with it, so I called Dell and they offered to send a replacement. I assumed it would be the same monitor, however, to my surprise I found a U2212HM, which I think is not of the same quality. The biggest issue is that it is a 16:9 display, whereas the 2209wa is 16:10.

I guess this sort of thing happens, but is Dell willing to budge or maybe provide a considerable discount on another model? I just want to know the likelihood of me getting something better or equivalent before I call.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 23, 2005
7756 posts
3652 upvotes
geestring wrote:
May 4th, 2012 4:37 pm
I just want to know the likelihood of me getting something better or equivalent before I call.

Seeing how nobody here works at Dell, I would spend a few minutes on the phone and call them to find out your answer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8196 posts
1940 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
boyoflondon wrote:
May 4th, 2012 4:42 pm
Seeing how nobody here works at Dell, I would spend a few minutes on the phone and call them to find out your answer.
Even if someone here did work for Dell they wouldn't make a commitment one way or another without first knowing all the particulars of your transaction. Call Dell. It's a free 1-800 call.
geestring wrote:
May 4th, 2012 4:37 pm
The biggest issue is that it is a 16:9 display, whereas the 2209wa is 16:10.
That would be the basis of my issue with Dell. If they substitute they should do it with equal or better specs. My PC can handle 16:10 (1920x1200) but it can't handle 16:9 (1900x1080). I'd be pissed too if they did that to me.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2614 posts
428 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote:
May 4th, 2012 4:42 pm
Seeing how nobody here works at Dell, I would spend a few minutes on the phone and call them to find out your answer.

i think it's funny people think we all have magical answers when we don't even work for *insert company name*
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 17, 2010
954 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
geestring wrote:
May 4th, 2012 4:37 pm
I just want to know the likelihood of me getting something better or equivalent before I call.

Why? Nobody here can tell you anything you can put to any use BEFORE you call. You have a solid case for them to do something as it's a good argument that they didn't replace the monitor with something of equal value (if what you say is true, I know nothing about computer monitors)
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
3951 posts
80 upvotes
What driver package that supports 16:10 won't support 16:9?

Regardless I would want a 16:10 monitor back with a panel of compariable quality.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8196 posts
1940 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rommelrommel wrote:
May 7th, 2012 12:48 am
What driver package that supports 16:10 won't support 16:9?
The ATI drivers on my ancient T60p that were developed when 16:10 was the norm in widescreen and 16:9 didn't exist, at least on notebooks. Maybe there's an updated driver package available, but even if so, it's irrelevant. I shouldn't be forced to upgrade hardware/software in order to make a repaired/replaced device work. And if for some reason Dell can no longer provide me with a 16:10 monitor they should at least ask before they substitute. Or better still offer me some options. I might, for example, be willing to pay an extra $50 to upgrade the replacement 22" 16:9 monitor to a 23" 16:10, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
× < >

Top